Starting salary for new Dentists in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmarank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am a sophomore undergrad interested in dentistry. I am curious to know what the starting salary for a dentist right out of dental school is in a city like Chicago. I think I read on this site that it is around $90k. Is that accurate? Isn't that somewhat low considering physician assistants make about $80k starting?

Also I realize that most dentists go on to own their own practice but I wanted to know how difficult it is to be able to afford a practice on this type of starting salary. Are most dentists able to afford to buy their own practice after a couple of years out of dental school? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I am a sophomore undergrad interested in dentistry. I am curious to know what the starting salary for a dentist right out of dental school is in a city like Chicago. I think I read on this site that it is around $90k. Is that accurate? Isn't that somewhat low considering physician assistants make about $80k starting?

Also I realize that most dentists go on to own their own practice but I wanted to know how difficult it is to be able to afford a practice on this type of starting salary. Are most dentists able to afford to buy their own practice after a couple of years out of dental school? Thanks

it varies honestly. if you've done a gpr/aegd, i would expect a higher starting salary. however, you need to realize that most associates are paid based on production. so your first year you might end up making 90k. but that number should jump up significantly as you increase your speed by your second or third year.

it varies honestly. if you've done a gpr/aegd, i would expect a higher starting salary. however, you need to realize that most associates are paid based on production. so your first year you might end up making 90k. but that number should jump up significantly as you increase your speed by your second or third year.

Oh alright. How long are most people associates for? I just don't understand how someone can afford to own their own practice while being under the burden of student loans.

Oh alright. How long are most people associates for? I just don't understand how someone can afford to own their own practice while being under the burden of student loans.

When you feel ready, you can buy a practice. Some people buy it out of dental school, while others associate for 2-3 years. I know some who love their associates gig and stay there permanently. This usually happens when you work with a dental chain.

When you buy a practice, you're taking out a huge loan, so it's up to you to feel how confident you are with it. Dental offices rarely fail, so the process of getting a loan isn't that hard. The interest rate will be higher if you have worst credit. There are dentists who go bankrupt if the practice doesn't work out, and there are dentists making a million a year.