Starting salary for Optometrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanabeDR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
•</blockquote>How much can a fresh O.D. graduate except to make right after graduation? I have read many different and conflicting national averages. I would imagine location counts obviously and the region of the country you happen to practice in. Based on that it would be higher or lower. But a general ballpark for the profession is all I was nterested in. Also, where can a fresh O.D. graduate except to practice after graduation? Would they apply to optical stores or group practices or clinics or hospitals? I was curious about where you would go to get your first real paid positon.
I saw this Question at <a href="http://futureoptometrist.community.everyone.net/community/scripts/thread.pl" target="_blank">Future Optometrists</a>
So, I was wondering what guys think of that?!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I would prefer to go into a group private practice, but that option is not always available. You have to go where the jobs are. I'm sure sure exact numbers on starting salaries (most people right out of school can work a few days in a few different offices on day rate which can range from 250 to 400 a day) If you go commericial right out of school the quote Ive heard is around 90k to start. if you open your own place, you might only break 40k when you finally get everything worked out your first year. it really varies. Your salary is what you make of it is what it pretty much boils down to from what I've seen.

Not the most recent information but from the Bureau of Labor Statistics <a href="http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos073.htm" target="_blank">Occupational Outlook Handbook</a> for 2001.

Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $68,500 in 1998. The middle 50 percent earned between $43,750 and $93,700 a year. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $24,820 and the highest 10 percent earned more than $123,770 a year. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own independent practice. In the long run, those in private practice usually earn more.

According to the American Optometric Association, new optometry graduates in their first year of practice earned median net incomes of $55,000 in 1998. Overall, optometrists earned median net incomes of $92,000.••

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as I graduated I went to work part-time for a private OD. He paid me $45 per hour. Later it changed to $27 per patient and $42 for an exam and contact lens fit per patient. (The per patient was a better deal).

Now, in my own practice I made $1,200 today. Unfortuately, MOST of that goes to overhead (but I still keep enough to be happy...very happy).

Dr. Tom

TomOD said:
As soon as I graduated I went to work part-time for a private OD. He paid me $45 per hour. Later it changed to $27 per patient and $42 for an exam and contact lens fit per patient. (The per patient was a better deal).

Now, in my own practice I made $1,200 today. Unfortuately, MOST of that goes to overhead (but I still keep enough to be happy...very happy).

Dr. Tom

Hello OD and students:

This may not be the place to seek help, but I could not get much help from local optometrist or MD lately… and there is not much help from the net so far.
Here is my story……
I ran into a computer assisted vision acuity test tool while at an Ophthalmology’s office
I am considering developing such a tool. The problem is that I need to learn more about optometry….. I am an engineer by training……well, maybe 5% of the time anyway…. :)

At the opthalmologist’s office, the doctor was using a computer assisted vision acuity test tool, Smart System II PC Plus or SmartSystem II 20/20, manufactured by M & S Technologies, Inc. (http://www.mstech-eyes.com/).

I visited their website, and learn a few things. I am now doing preliminary studies to determine if I should commit to developing such a system. I have looked for information on the Internet, but am limited to what I can find.

Here are requests that you folks, especially OD’s, may be able assists me, should you decide to do so:

1) Are there website of optometry trade magazines?
I like to visit the websites to learn about other such computer assisted vision acuity test tool products. I may be able to ask the editors to give me some information about
The demand for such computer assisted vision acuity test tools.

2) If you know of any Internet forum used by optometrists to discuss equipments used for your industry, I would like to know the websites.

3) I like to know what books related to vision acuity testing and calibration of vision reading chart that I can buy. My hunch is that these books are probably first year optometry student books.

4) Last but not least, can you tell me whether computer assisted vision acuity test tool is worth an investment for your practice?
(I was told such a tool cost about $4,500 to $5,000)

How much does a set of old fashion projector/vision acuity test chart costs?
Of course, computer assisted vision acuity test tool can do much more……

To develop such a computer assisted vision acuity test tool, I really need to read related technical books related to such areas!

By the way, I am in Colorado Springs, Colorado. So if you are interest in talking with me as well as possibly collaborate on this development, let me know.

Please advice.
Thanks,