Starting strong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurc2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a incoming MS1 and wanted to know what is the best thing I can do to start off strong for Derm? I'm in my early 30s and have rounded and worked with different specialities already (very non traditional student). I will be coming in with 5 Derm publications and 1 in genetics (pigmentation related). I also have many other leadership experiences in dermatology but want to remain anonymous. Of course I'm going to focus on my grades and may shoot for a first author after my step1. What else (other than grades) would be a good thing to do as a MS1/MS2? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I have very strong connections already so I'm not too interested in joining the DIG at my school. I have a opportunity to contribute as an author for a chapter in a small Derm book when I'm ready (after step).

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks. I have actually read all of those threads before posting. I was asking for my specific situation since I will be coming in with a few of the key factors already (Derm research, pubs, connections, Derm leadership,ect). Was asking what could I do my first/second year, along with grades, since I have the other stuff. Many of those other threads are for the traditional MS1 with nothing Derm related on their CV.

Thanks. I have actually read all of those threads before posting. I was asking for my specific situation since I will be coming in with a few of the key factors already (Derm research, pubs, connections, Derm leadership,ect). Was asking what could I do my first/second year, along with grades, since I have the other stuff. Many of those other threads are for the traditional MS1 with nothing Derm related on their CV.

The advice doesn't really change. Unless you are the rare, very connected MS1, nothing you've done before med school counts for much.

And if you are indeed that well-connected, you won't have to worry about matching.

I would focus on your grades. If the grades come easily to you, then I would slowly introduce yourself to your home department and get involved in shadowing/research if possible. The key is to be helpful and remembered fondly. If you rub people the wrong way as an MS1 / MS2, you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

If you are as well-connected as you claim, I would just focus on honoring everything and knocking Step 1 out of the park.

Got it. Honors and step it is.

Reactions: 1 user
You should do a first author paper in physics wherein you develop a time machine that you use to travel to the future to warn your future coresidents of your general awesomeness and encourage them to start studying now if they want to score in the 99th percentile on all ITE, as you surely will. You should also key their future cars.

Reactions: 3 users
You should do a first author paper in physics wherein you develop a time machine that you use to travel to the future to warn your future coresidents of your general awesomeness and encourage them to start studying now if they want to score in the 99th percentile on all ITE, as you surely will. You should also key their future cars.
??? This was a honest question :(

No, seriously. You should watch the movie arrival as sort of a how to manual.

Wait, I think I misunderstood the plot of that movie, maybe you need to travel to the past. I'm not certain. You'll figure it out though. If you get lost, lean heavily on your connections.

I think the serious version is "don't be a d-bag." If you have connections, lots of pubs, derm leadership and good grades the most likely thing to derail you is "an overlooked case of being a d-bag." Im sure you aren't, but there are a lot of people woefully self-unaware of behaviors that are a sure way of getting black-listed: bragging, arrogance, undermining other med students, pretending to know more than residents, inability to take feedback etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I think the serious version is "don't be a d-bag." If you have connections, lots of pubs, derm leadership and good grades the most likely thing to derail you is "an overlooked case of being a d-bag." Im sure you aren't, but there are a lot of people woefully self-unaware of behaviors that are a sure way of getting black-listed: bragging, arrogance, undermining other med students, pretending to know more than residents, inability to take feedback etc.

True. Thanks for the advice. Just wasn't sure if I should do things like joining DIG or something. I will solely focus on my grades and step :)

To OP:

I really hope you are picking up on the insinuations from the responses that you are getting. I think if your institution is pass/no pass, it doesn't hurt to make some connections and see how you can participate in some research and publications a little earlier. Even otherwise, it's good to start making connections and talking to faculty if you have them at your home institution. Pubs before residency will help (because they just count em up) but you'll be going up against a few people that may have over 20 pubs (or even 30 pubs), have great grades and step scores, have amazing connections, have great LORs, and have a really personable attitude. People get humbled in this process pretty quickly if they don't have that humility already.

To OP:

I really hope you are picking up on the insinuations from the responses that you are getting. I think if your institution is pass/no pass, it doesn't hurt to make some connections and see how you can participate in some research and publications a little earlier. Even otherwise, it's good to start making connections and talking to faculty if you have them at your home institution. Pubs before residency will help (because they just count em up) but you'll be going up against a few people that may have over 20 pubs (or even 30 pubs), have great grades and step scores, have amazing connections, have great LORs, and have a really personable attitude. People get humbled in this process pretty quickly if they don't have that humility already.
Thanks dermathalon. Yes I have been building those connections for the past 3 years since I have worked as a research coordinator at my home institution derm department. The faculty know that I am applying to derm and agreed to write me letters. This was before I was actually accepted tho. I think focusing on the grades with be my priority since we still get ranked internally. We are pass fail but the PDs still see our class rank. I spoke with my PI (who's a PD) about jumping back into the research projects I started after I take my step. Just really didn't want to waste my time with DIG or something when I should be studying. A lot of that is to expose you to derm and I have been fully immersed in the field for the past 3 years (rounding with residents/students, weekly grand rounds, research, seeing patients in clinic, ect.)

since your connections are at a top 10 derm program and it's your own home program, i pretty much think you're set. get a good step score, dont piss off any of the attendings in the next 4 years, and you have a nice path paved for you

since your connections are at a top 10 derm program and it's your own home program, i pretty much think you're set. get a good step score, dont piss off any of the attendings in the next 4 years, and you have a nice path paved for you
Thanks @MilkIsGood I will spend majority, if not all, of my time focusing on my grades. What would be the best way for an MS1 to start studying for the step (other than mastering the classes)? I am not good at standardized exams (had to take the mcat twice with a 20 the first go...don't judge) and want to do really well on it since there are no retakes. Any and all advice for preparation is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks @MilkIsGood I will spend majority, if not all, of my time focusing on my grades. What would be the best way for an MS1 to start studying for the step (other than mastering the classes)? I am not good at standardized exams (had to take the mcat twice with a 20 the first go...don't judge) and want to do really well on it since there are no retakes. Any and all advice for preparation is appreciated. Thank you.

I think you've identified you biggest obstacle then. Despite your pubs and connections if you cannot pull together a good step score this will be crippling for your application (as most derm programs will literally not even look at your application if the score is below a certain filter cutoff - maybe 240, maybe 230).

If you are bad at standardized tests start preparing early. Sure, master the classes but in your case using extensive prep material and regular question banks for a whole year might be a good idea. Beyond that general advice I'm not the right one to give you specific material recommendations (Its been too long for me and I'm too many years out).

I think you've identified you biggest obstacle then. Despite your pubs and connections if you cannot pull together a good step score this will be crippling for your application (as most derm programs will literally not even look at your application if the score is below a certain filter cutoff - maybe 240, maybe 230).

If you are bad at standardized tests start preparing early. Sure, master the classes but in your case using extensive prep material and regular question banks for a whole year might be a good idea. Beyond that general advice I'm not the right one to give you specific material recommendations (Its been too long for me and I'm too many years out).

Yea, I was told about a month ago to shoot for a 240 :( I think Ima drop my MPH to focus more on boards.