Starting surgery rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted815127

hello,
I need some advice, I am starting my surgery rotation in less than a week and I am worried. I tend to get dizzy from standing in long hours and am worried about some of the procedures. It's not the sight of blood, but standing bent over that gets me dizzy.
I can do three to five hours fine, but, one of my friends just did a 11 hour procedure. Should I discuss this with my resident or the nurses?
I don't want to spend the next 6 weeks, being the fainter in the room, but, I don't want to have to run out or ask for stool everyday.

Help!

Members don't see this ad.

hello,
I need some advice, I am starting my surgery rotation in less than a week and I am worried. I tend to get dizzy from standing in long hours and am worried about some of the procedures. It's not the sight of blood, but standing bent over that gets me dizzy.
I can do three to five hours fine, but, one of my friends just did a 11 hour procedure. Should I discuss this with my resident or the nurses?
I don't want to spend the next 6 weeks, being the fainter in the room, but, I don't want to have to run out or ask for stool everyday.

Help!
Sorry, i dont have the answe to ur Q but since u r already doing your rotations, could you please tell me how many interns are at your hospital? How many interns does each hospital usually take every year? Thanks.

Sorry, i dont have the answe to ur Q but since u r already doing your rotations, could you please tell me how many interns are at your hospital? How many interns does each hospital usually take every year? Thanks.

I am not sure we have a residency program, at the hospital. thought we might be starting one in the near future, but that's not a guarantee.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hello,

Help!

If you stand bent over, you will be told to stand up straight. Everyone over exaggerates the length of surgeries. Eat before, wear compression socks, and drink plenty of water. If you need to excuse yourself, no one will care if you come right back and aren't scrubbed in.

I have stood for long periods of time. I find that going on one leg for a moment and kind of shaking the other one a bit, and flexing the calf, helps. Also kind of bouncing on the tip of the toes every once in a while helps me.

I am not sure we have a residency program, at the hospital. thought we might be starting one in the near future, but that's not a guarantee.
Thanks for ur reply. I said intern, but i meant students on clinical rotations. MS3 and 4.