starting to despair--- no luck so far finding research positions for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledoctordoubletrouble

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find a paid research gig for my upcoming gap year.
I've been emailing a BUNCH of PIs at the NIH: either no reply, or sorry, we don't have any positions right now.
Have also been starting to cold e-mail... but it's tricky because I am taking one gap year and I don't know how willing PIs are to hire someone for such a timeframe.
Any advice appreciated... I'm getting pretty desperate. Even considering taking an unpaid position in a lab at this point, but to be honest I will be pretty salty if I have to because I do have substantial research experience(but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do).

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to find a paid research gig for my upcoming gap year.
I've been emailing a BUNCH of PIs at the NIH: either no reply, or sorry, we don't have any positions right now.
Have also been starting to cold e-mail... but it's tricky because I am taking one gap year and I don't know how willing PIs are to hire someone for such a timeframe.
Any advice appreciated... I'm getting pretty desperate. Even considering taking an unpaid position in a lab at this point, but to be honest I will be pretty salty if I have to because I do have substantial research experience(but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do).
I think you have to submit an application with the NIH IRTA to nag an NIH spot. They like formal post-doc positions I believe.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Take a deep breath...it's only February/March-ish. You're doing okay! It doesn't feel like that because lots of other people around you have jobs already....But I PROMISE you, it's okay.
2. Broaden your job search scope. Why are you only looking at NIH jobs? Maybe start by talking to people at your university.
3. You mentioned that you have oodles of research experience already...have you talked to those PIs?
4. Are you dead set on research? It's your gap year...you could do ANYTHING in the world. Have you taken the time to consider other opportunities? -- Personal example: in my years between college and med school, I've been working as a artist (in addition to public health work and tutoring) to make a living. I have a heavy research background, but I've used my time to explore other areas of myself in ways that I won't be able to when I am in school.

During this year (my gap) I am doing research...for free. If you are dead set on it, free positions are a lot more available due to lack of funding.

Try getting a hospital job in the meantime if you want more clinical experience, or any job, really. The ADCOM I talked to said that medically based jobs were nice but not mandatory...

Reactions: 1 user
Just keep looking and offer to volunteer research in summer when you run out of time. Sorry I don't have any better advice as to how to look.

What is your degree in? Do that.
If you can't get a paid research position in academia at the University or the NIH, go with industry and make more $$ and buff your application in other ways. I wouldn't do a research job, or any job, for free. You have a degree in something, use it.

Can your PI or former PI suggest a lab to you or put in a good for you somewhere?

I feel like it is wayyyy too early to be applying. Labs that are willing to hire recent grads will probably be hiring in the summer after the recent grad currently working for them goes off to school. I graduated in the middle of June, asked my work-study job if I could work full-time while I apply to jobs, had five interviews a couple weeks later, and was in a paid job by July. It is nerve-wracking, but I think you be hard-pressed to find a lab that hires you months before you can start. Good luck!

What's a "BUNCH"?

Did you hit 100 resumes sent?

I feel like it is wayyyy too early to be applying. Labs that are willing to hire recent grads will probably be hiring in the summer after the recent grad currently working for them goes off to school. I graduated in the middle of June, asked my work-study job if I could work full-time while I apply to jobs, had five interviews a couple weeks later, and was in a paid job by July. It is nerve-wracking, but I think you be hard-pressed to find a lab that hires you months before you can start. Good luck!

I think you do have a good point... it does seem like many of the positions are looking for someone to start immediately. Just curious, are you taking only one gap year? If so, how did you negotiate that with your boss or did it ever become an issue?

What is your degree in? Do that.
If you can't get a paid research position in academia at the University or the NIH, go with industry and make more $$ and buff your application in other ways. I wouldn't do a research job, or any job, for free. You have a degree in something, use it.

My degree is in chem/biology... so... research is probably the most effective way for me to use it.

Last edited:
Apply at major academic medical centers, not just the NIH. My group hasn't even started interviewing yet. You still have plenty of time. Although if you're only willing to commit a single year, it might be pretty difficult.

How much experience do you have and where are you located? What about publications? Posting a CV here might help us get you some connections... though I am hesistant to recommend strangers...

Many researchers have funding for limited periods based on their grant money. It is reasonable to find someone only able to give you a one year commitment. Don't despair.
But also look in industry. They don't need to know you are only looking at a year. Save your vaca for interviews. You never know, you might be there a couple years anyway.
We hire young people for research coordination, etc. some for the summer only, some longer. Most of them only stay a couple years as they take classes and buff their applications. Call departments at major research hospitals as well.

Last edited:
I am also interested in clinical research, although I have ZERO experience in it. I've only worked in basic science labs. How reasonable would it be to contact PIs who are conducting clinical trials asking if I could work for them?

I think you do have a good point... it does seem like many of the positions are looking for someone to start immediately. Just curious, are you taking only one gap year? If so, how did you negotiate that with your boss or did it ever become an issue?
I was originally planning on working two years in my current lab, but now I think I will only end up staying for one. The girl I replaced only worked there one year before going to med school. And I found that the best thing to do was use the job posting to figure out which lab was hiring, submit my app through the job site, and then email the PI directly to introduce myself and send them my resume directly. All my interviews came from this method

I am also interested in clinical research, although I have ZERO experience in it. I've only worked in basic science labs. How reasonable would it be to contact PIs who are conducting clinical trials asking if I could work for them?
It's perfectly reasonable to call departments and ask for the contact info for their research director. The director is in a better position to know who needs what and what projects may be appropriate for a student, are moving to the next phase, etc. Not all positions have to be posted on university/hospital job sites, etc. and even the ones that do may be essentially filled before they are posted. Each university/hospital will have its own requirements.
We hire part time students during the year, have work study students for a semester or two, and full time people in our department helping with clinical and non clinical research projects.

I cold emailed and got a position for one year, unpaid. Got paid for a few months worth towards the end and then worked there for pay the next summer. Got my name on a pub