USMLE Starting USMLE Rx Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MemoryBcell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my second year of medical school and have recently just started doing USMLE Rx questions. I have been doing pretty well in my classes however I am only scoring in the 40-50% range when doing questions from this question bank. Is it normal to be scoring this low when first starting off or is it something that I need to be worried about?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m a second year as well and have also been doing well in class. I too just started Rx questions and am scoring right around 50%... just started reading first aid and watching boards and beyond videos for past systems in order to refresh my foundation and hoping that will bring up my average. Working slowly tho cuz my classes still demand a good deal of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rx is a great qbank to start practicing because a lot of students are familiar with the First Aid text. After doing about 200-300 random questions, you'll get comfortable with how the questions are written and what to look for, which should be bringing your scores up. If after you've done a good amount of questions and you're still sitting in the 50%, I would start analyzing the breakdown to see in which areas you're getting things wrong because it may likely be an area of knowledge deficit or inappropriate knowledge application.

I was starting at like 40-50% back when I first got the qbank some time ago.

Did the entire heme section of Rx today, so I finished 2 100-Question blocks with a 70% and 75% respectively and another 50-question block with 83%.

Like Nike baby... JUST DO IT!

Last edited:
Opinions on using Rx vs. UW in spring of MS2 for random tutor mode questions?
I used Rx for test prep and UW for board prep. My opinion is that UW should always be 40Q blocks, timed, & random. Gotta practice how you'll play!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 2 weeks out from my exam and still am getting 60-70% or so depending on the set. Idk if they added new questions but in my opinion these questions are insanely challenging. My friend who took step last year said he actually felt like the questions on his exam best reflected these questions. For context I've already completed Uworld twice (1st pass 66%, 2nd pass 90%), consistently get 70% on Kaplan qbank and just took nbme 17 and got a 248, and a 232 on NBME 19. lol

When I first started I was scoring around that. After doing Uworld for 6 weeks been scoring 80-90, even though my Uworld is 60-70%. Just keep at it and lay the foundation when you start doing Uworld the same thing will happen but you have to just keep at it.