Starting vet school in the fall, looking for tips and advice from current students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonah93

UC Davis SVM c/o 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am starting veterinary school this fall, and I was wondering if any current or former veterinary students could share some tips/advice about doing well in vet school. Thanks! (Apologies if a thread like this already exists!)

Members don't see this ad.

Figure out your study style. Vet school is way different than undergrad. We got a semester's worth of basic immunology in 14 lectures. You have to learn actively, not passively (by reading textbook over and over, etc). A study group has been the best thing for me-I learn by saying things and "teaching" them to others, making connections, and formulating questions for my study mates, who learn well by being asked tough questions and the discussion that follows.

For classes like parasitology and infectious disease that require rote memorization, Memorangapp.com is absolutely fantastic. It's adaptive so that you study what you're bad at more than what you've mastered.

Stay on top of studying-nothing's worse than getting behind and feeling like there's not enough time to prepare for a test. On the flip side, don't let studying get in the way of life. Join clubs, go on mission trips, and take a Saturday off every now and then to stay sane. One classmate of mine has horrible anxiety and never takes a day off-which just stresses her out more because she doesn't have time to decompress.

Reach out to your classmates and professors for help-you can never be too humble or too smart for someone else's help. I'm awesome at physiology and cell bio/immunology, but awful at infectious disease because they require different learning styles. For this past test, I reached out to friends that have done well on ID and got their "short notes" that they condense from the professor's slides. They are great at picking out important points for ID, where I can do cell bio/immunology/physiology. Your classmates are your teammates, not your competitors, so foster that relationship.

Edit: spacing

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Figure out your study style. Vet school is way different than undergrad. We got a semester's worth of basic immunology in 14 lectures. You have to learn actively, not passively (by reading textbook over and over, etc). A study group has been the best thing for me-I learn by saying things and "teaching" them to others, making connections, and formulating questions for my study mates, who learn well by being asked tough questions and the discussion that follows.

For classes like parasitology and infectious disease that require rote memorization, Memorangapp.com is absolutely fantastic. It's adaptive so that you study what you're bad at more than what you've mastered.

Stay on top of studying-nothing's worse than getting behind and feeling like there's not enough time to prepare for a test. On the flip side, don't let studying get in the way of life. Join clubs, go on mission trips, and take a Saturday off every now and then to stay sane. One classmate of mine has horrible anxiety and never takes a day off-which just stresses her out more because she doesn't have time to decompress.

Reach out to your classmates and professors for help-you can never be too humble or too smart for someone else's help. I'm awesome at physiology and cell bio/immunology, but awful at infectious disease because they require different learning styles. For this past test, I reached out to friends that have done well on ID and got their "short notes" that they condense from the professor's slides. They are great at picking out important points for ID, where I can do cell bio/immunology/physiology. Your classmates are your teammates, not your competitors, so foster that relationship.

Edit: spacing

Thank you so much for your fantastic tips!! I will definitely check out that website. Also, I am really excited to get to work with classmates in all of the different classes, and I like the fact that competition amongst classmates, like in undergrad, is nonexistent in vet school. I'll definitely work to foster fruitful relationships with my peers! Thanks again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your fantastic tips!! I will definitely check out that website. Also, I am really excited to get to work with classmates in all of the different classes, and I like the fact that competition amongst classmates, like in undergrad, is nonexistent in vet school. I'll definitely work to foster fruitful relationships with my peers! Thanks again :)
Competition amongst classmates may vary school to school, but in general people are very willing to help each other out. Good luck and congratulations!

Don't get caught up in one way of studying. You really have to mix it up depending on what and how the material is presented. In the early classes there will be a lot of straight memorization, but once you get into your later classes it is less "straight memorization" and more important to actually understand how stuff is actually working. Right now we are taking our medicine class and I have 1 friend in particular that is still trying to straight memorize everything without really understanding how things actually work. When you have 20 lectures to go over for one exam it is very very difficult to memorize everything. If you have an understanding of how things work, things click so much better, and studying can be easier.

Also I found that study groups can be awesome or horrible - depending on how the people in the study group study. One group I was in wanted to just quiz eachother the whole time - and that Did NOT work for me. I felt belittled sometimes and like the people in the group were just trying to boost their ego and put others down. Now im in a study group where we all basically study alone, but if I need to talk something out or have a quick question I have friends around to answer them and then we go on studying on our own. We do sometimes study a little more together but not until everyone has gone over the material and is ready to talk it out. My grades have improved since being in the second group and my overall happiness is much better as well because this group has become my best friends.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Keep your eye on the prize (that is to graduate as a competent veterinarian) and don't get distracted by all the petty things in between.

Don't get all upset about a point or two on the exam, or a bad grade here and there. Don't get in a pissing match with classmates about something stupid (e.g. "at MY clinic, we did that THIS way"). Make good impressions and concentrate on networking without schmoozing. Seek outside opportunities to fill in the gaps in your education to become competent in areas you feel deficient. Don't make enemies. This is a very small field and everyone knows each other.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you guys so much for the replies, you are all being so helpful and I greatly appreciate it!

I'm a bit nervous about being in the same lecture hall for many hours a day. I had long breaks between most of my classes that were also held in different lecture halls throughout undergrad. Any tips or suggestions on making that adjustment? Also, do professors have office hours in vet school or do you just set up to meet with them on your own?
We typically have 50 minutes lecture with 10 minute breaks in between to get up for a "bio break". It's really not too bad-everyone has "their" seat that they find pretty quickly.

Most professors don't have "office hours", but they're generally in their office if they're not in class/lab. I generally just email or stop them when I see them if I need to set something up.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bit nervous about being in the same lecture hall for many hours a day. I had long breaks between most of my classes that were also held in different lecture halls throughout undergrad. Any tips or suggestions on making that adjustment? Also, do professors have office hours in vet school or do you just set up to meet with them on your own?

It will be a challenge, but I don't think it will be QUITE as bad as you're worried about. There are definitely long 8-hr days of lecture. Not going to lie. But (at least here) it's not like it's every day for three years. MOST days have <some> break somewhere.... whether it's an extra hour in the morning, an extra hour in the afternoon, a couple hour lab, and afternoon in the anatomy lab, etc. If you actually sit down and look at the schedule and calculate hours, you don't really spend all day of <most> days in lecture. (Some semesters are worse than others, though.)

It is worse than undergrad, obviously. But it's tolerable. And @dvmhopeful2018 is right, most places do 50 minutes lecture, 10 minutes break. I think you just manage it by making sure you stretch your legs between lectures, skip the occasional class when it's doable, etc. I understand WHY you're worried about it ... but it will be ok.

For us, professors tended to offer office hours, but I never paid attention to it: I'd just go find them or email them if I needed something. They all tended to be pretty approachable and 'findable'.

Back to general tips.... this is one trick I used for studying that I don't think many (?) people do, but it worked super well for me. I kinda stumbled onto it because I have a 35-minute commute each way, and I wanted to make use of the time, but I couldn't (obviously) have a book or notes out in front of me. So I started lecturing to myself.

I know, it makes me look like a psychotic driving in traffic jabbering away. Whatever.

Super useful for a variety of reasons. First, verbalizing the material out loud helped reinforce it / memorize it. Second, because you're actually saying it out loud, you can't "skim" .... I think we all start to 'skim' notes when we get fatigued studying, and at that point we're getting essentially <nothing> out of the studying (even though we tell ourselves we're covering the material). If you're saying it out loud, that's not an option. Third, saying it out loud forces you to <really> understand it. You'll know if you're full of crap, which is great because you'll self-identify your weaknesses and know what to focus on for studying.

So if we had some physiology lecture on ... I dunno ... cardiopulmonary physiology, I'd just lecture to myself about it on the ride home. I was amazed at how useful the technique was. Talk to yourself about the stuff while it's still fresh in your mind, and the overall study-time requirement goes WAY down. It's pretty efficient.

Downside: For it to work, you actually have to pay attention in lecture so you have something to say to yourself later in the day. I know most people don't like to pay attention in lecture.

Last tip: Just keep reminding yourself that thousands and thousands of people have gone into vet school and gotten through it before you. It's not like this is some new frontier that people haven't explored. If they can all do it ...... you'll be just fine.

Reactions: 9 users
Everyone is giving good tips for school and studying, I am going to add on try to live outside of school. Some weeks it will be impossible to do anything outside of school, but try to take some time to give yourself a break. It is essential for your sanity. For example, we had an exam last week on Wednesday, we don't have another exam until Friday of this upcoming week. I didn't do any studying or looking at material from Thursday-Saturday. I became a normal human being and enjoyed that bit of break. It is Sunday now, so I will get some study time in today and all of next week. But you can take time to just relax and not have it be a detriment, so don't get stuck into thinking you need to study constantly. Just be sure to plan ahead and recognize any other time commitments you might have the following week before you slack off for a weekend, if you are going to be uber busy the following week, best to spend some time on the material over the weekend.

Also, a big tip here: If you are falling asleep while studying or starting to "skim" (as LIS said) or you realize that everything you are going over is going into one ear and falling out the other... STOP. You aren't learning and at this point if you are tired, sleep. If it is during the day, walk away for a bit, clean up your apartment or do laundry or read a book or surf the interwebs come back in 20 minutes and try again. Don't let the pressure of vet school push you to keep going when your brain is clearly indicating to you that it needs a break, it won't do you any good and you won't learn if you keep just skimming through.

Reactions: 4 users
Back to general tips.... this is one trick I used for studying that I don't think many (?) people do, but it worked super well for me. I kinda stumbled onto it because I have a 35-minute commute each way, and I wanted to make use of the time, but I couldn't (obviously) have a book or notes out in front of me. So I started lecturing to myself.

Awesome, I already do this for a lot of my UG science courses so I'll make sure to continue this strategy in vet school!

I have trouble with being in one lecture hall for a lot of hours too. Labs help break up the lectures, but still it's a bit too much sitting in one place for me. I've found that getting some exercise during lunch break really helps (going for a walk or run or bike ride, or going to a gym if there's one near enough). And getting up and walking around during the short breaks between lectures.
In the early classes there will be a lot of straight memorization, but once you get into your later classes it is less "straight memorization" and more important to actually understand how stuff is actually working.
This is really, really encouraging to hear. :) I'm a first year now, and I struggle with the straight memorization portion.

Also, do professors have office hours in vet school or do you just set up to meet with them on your own?
laughing-happy-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

1) Office hours?
2) Time to actually go to such a thing?

Reactions: 1 user