stas for ob/gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have been wondering what stats are getting people spots in ob/gyn programs. i am a foreign student, so if there are any recent grads that have obtained residency it would be great if you would share stats (grades, usmle, etc...)

any info from any intern, resident or practicing ob/gyn would be great.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The residency programs score by a point system taking into account each aspect of the eras application.
School
grades
board scores (passing USMLE most schools look for 200+)
RESEARCH!!
letters of rec.
VOLUNTEER WORK
PUBLICATIONS
HONORS in med school
TEACHING experience
WORK experience

the CAPs are areas you should work on now. For research abstracts and poster presentations at university and national meetings are always available. Volunteer esp in underserved settings and in the OB/Gyn field (STD clinic), many schools have preventative medicine officers etc.

What one ultimately looks at is the big picture sure grades and board scores may be important but programs want a personable person one that will go 110% and be a team-leader.

A book I found quite useful was Iserson's getting into a residency
ISBN 1-883620-27-9. Details all residencies.

Of note is what to do to obtain a good letter of reference how to prepare a effective personal statement, what residency directors seek most of an applicant.

Let us know your progress and if you need more guidance.
Thank you for your question.
:) Diane L. Evans

what a great reply! thanks for taking the time, and i must say that you just exude an outstanding attitude.

unfortunately, i live and study over here in prague...i think this summer i can spend some time in the clinic with the folks who need it the most. also, i am not looking forward to any research....i think i will hit up the ob/gyn dept here to see if i can become involved in some interesting clinical work.

i really want to catch babies, and get into the or....

thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Neil;
Please let us know of your progress. Good luck with your clinic work.
:) Diane

i still would love to hear about usmle's that are getting spots....

i know scores are just a portion of the application, but it is a nice yardstick....

so, speak up OB/GYN's, would love to hear what it takes on the USMLE to get an interview/spot

thanks!

jeez...i just noticed that this thread has been viewed 265 times and still only diane cares enough to reply...

did i offend somebody??? :)

No Neil you didn't people just are now taking USMLE step 2 and are probably busy.... Try posting to allopathic site

I am by no means an expert on what will get u an interview but i can tell u about my residency chase. I am an img and i too am interested in ob/gyn. I applied to 40 programs on Sept. 1, the first day that u can (which i think is important). I have recieved to date 12 interviews ranging from university based programs all the down to community programs. I had previous experience in the medical field for about 10 years, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am in the top 15% of my class, however i scored a 208 on both step 1 and 2 (what r the odds of that). I believe that if u want ob/gyn, now is the time to apply and get it. There is no telling what it will be like in 5 to 10 years. Hope this helps.

thank you, i appreciate the info! congrats on the success of the applications, and best of luck with the match!

i too have a bit of med feild experience, about 8 years as an emt in the emergency room. it would be great if that helps a bit. just gotta nail the usmle, and doors will open, i guess.

Hi I am also applying to ob-gyn, I had been under the impression that it was more competitive than it is, and being an IMG I went a little overboard applying to many programs, but so far have had a great response as well. I applied a little later, Sept 30th, and have received 16 interviews so far. My scores were 213/215 for steps 1/2. Neil, how do you like studying in Prague? I was there 2 years ago, through my program I was able to spend 3 weeks at the hospitals in Prague, I had a great experience and what a great city. Cheers!

prague is a great city to live and study in. of course, i am ready to get back to the states, but i do enjoy it here for the most part.

which hospitals/rotations did you do here? which school do you attend? i get quite a few emails from people asking about electives, it would be great to get your input on what you like/do not like so i could pass it on!

good luck with obs/gyn!

neil

Hi There! I am a bit frustrated, I got under 200 in Step 1 and Over 200 in Step 2, I am IMG, do I have still any chance to enter into the OB/GYN residency program? :(

Pimmar,
Do u go to SGUSOM? Just wondering.

Hi, I am an IMG interested in ob/gyn. I plan on taking the usmle exams shortly. I was wondering if pimmar and prelud92 could let me know which programs have offered them interviews as that info will be extremely helpful when it comes to my applications time. If you would rather not post that info here, please email me at [email protected]
Thanks.

To Prelud92 yes I do go to SGU, are you also applying for Ob-gyn?I looked at your email address but didn't ring a bell, are what class are you in? I am in the class that started Spring 99.

To Neil, honestly I can't remember the names of the hospitals in Prague there were 3, and I can honestly say that I only went to 2 of them, I skipped mostly during the last week to travel.:p You can look up Dr. Martin Stransky in the phone book he is a neurologist, he can tell you more about the program. I know that students from SUNY Brooklyn also participated in the program.

To YS, are you applying for this year? If you are applying next year make sure you take step 2 early. If you just took step 2 and are just starting to apply I will tell you that you may not get a strong response right away unless your step 1 scores were really good. So don't get discouraged, I know someone who just took step 2 a few weeks ago and has not had too many yet. I will email you my list, 21 interviews so far. Good luck to you, and get those applications out soon!

To Mano12 don't despair, ob-gyn applications are down from what I hear, so you will have a chance, look into community programs. Also since you showed improvement by doing better on step 2 that is a good thing. Good luck!

Hi Pimmar: Thank you for being so helpful for us, one last Question: How many programs do you think I should apply to be consider for an interview?.........Thank you so much!!!

Honestly I can't answer that it really all depends on how much money you have to burn, it can get pretty expensive. You will want to apply to some safety programs, some good community programs, and if you are like me you will probably apply to some more competitive programs because you won't know unless you try. I initially went a little overboard and applied to 70 some odd programs because I had read on an IMG forum last year how some IMGs had applied to programs and had only 6 interviews, some not matching anywhere, so I panicked. Although I have heard from a lot, I have only heard from about 32% It is really hard to tell why some programs will interview you and others even those in the same tier. My strategy was first to apply to places where I know that graduates from my school have been accepted, then the search for IMG friendly programs and criteria. A real lifesaver was www.apgo.org which for a fee of $40 you can get rather current info on residency programs that you can't get on Frieda. Good luck.

:) Thanks a lot Pimmar!!!, good Luck to you!!!!:clap: