State Budget Cuts and Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Peaches1206

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is everyone's thoughts on the state budget cuts that are happening that are going to inevitably have an effect on vet school (tuition, class size, etc)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They suck.

I put the same amount of effort into my post as you did yours.
Oh, Nyan. :laugh:
Well, as a student in Michigan, I can definitely say that we have seen an increase in undergraduate, graduate and professional school tuition. So, yeah, in short, I think they suck. However, I haven't noticed a decrease in the quality of my education (undergrad).
 
Oh, Nyan. :laugh:
Well, as a student in Michigan, I can definitely say that we have seen an increase in undergraduate, graduate and professional school tuition. So, yeah, in short, I think they suck. However, I haven't noticed a decrease in the quality of my education (undergrad).

Same here for TN. Tuition is creeping up, although so are class sizes(don't know if this is good or bad...). But the education is still as good or bad as it was going to be anyway.
 
Oh, Nyan. :laugh:
Well, as a student in Michigan, I can definitely say that we have seen an increase in undergraduate, graduate and professional school tuition. So, yeah, in short, I think they suck. However, I haven't noticed a decrease in the quality of my education (undergrad).

You will :-/ Anatomy next year, from what I was told, is being forced to drastically cut back on their animals ... the profs are working hard to make up for it some how, but it's an example where corners are being cut.

And not so much budget cuts (well in a roudn about way yes, becaue the client bills are going up because we can do as much "extra" without charging as used to be done, so our number of clients is going down) but the decrease in case load is really a bummer.
 
What is everyone's thoughts on the state budget cuts that are happening that are going to inevitably have an effect on vet school (tuition, class size, etc)?

Vet school tuition already sent a shiver up my spine, but with where it will go after these budget cuts, I want to faint. While on one hand the amount of debt makes me glad I decided not to pursue veterinary medicine, on the other hand I pity the vet students that did because of the anormous amount of debt they're dragging around like a ball and chain that weighs as much as a Hummer. Eek.

I have compassion for vet students, eventhough some of them probably would rather not be pitied. (I'm sure a few will voice that preference.) Nonetheless, I wish I could do something for them: make it so they could handle stress better, had less debt, more success in their classes, I don't know. People that learn what vets learn and do what vets do are beyond cool in my book. They're the superheroes in my world, my idols. I wish I could make vet student's and new grads lives better as, I suppose, thanks for being someone I can admire. Nobody has to tell me there is barely any chance of this happening. Oh well, I can dream. Dreams may never come true but they make you feel better when you have them.

Edited 'cause I think my post sounded weird.
 
Last edited:
We (the vet students) are actually having a forum with the administration tomorrow morning on this subject. They want to increase it by $2,000 for our class ($1000 each year until 2015; so $4,000 total).

I HIGHLY doubt that anything will come of it, as the administration scheduled the meeting, not the vet students, so I'm thinking it's a meeting of "here's how much y'all are going to pay, let's hear your opinions. Opinions noted, tuition increase next year, here's some donuts." A proverbial dog and pony show, so to speak, but well, 'free' donuts.