State college vs University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jord

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attended state college it's not community but also not a university. Are state colleges better than community? Such as getting into dental school. They have a lot of courses to get your BA in Biology or BS. O-chem, physics,gen chem, bio etc. What are the odds doing pre-reqs at a state college and getting into dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone attended state college it's not community but also not a university. Are state colleges better than community? Such as getting into dental school. They have a lot of courses to get your BA in Biology or BS. O-chem, physics,gen chem, bio etc. What are the odds doing pre-reqs at a state college and getting into dental school?

No one really knows for sure. None of us is in the admissions committee and anything you hear is just speculation.

If you really want to know, call up/email the deans of some of the schools you are interested in and ask them their opinion. I know some schools give a bit of preference while others not so much.

It also depends on which state school you are talking about as some are ranked pretty high while others are not ranked at all.

If you do well in school, it doesn't matter where you go to undergrad - state college vs university. To what degree do d-schools weight one type of school over the other, only those in adcoms really know and it probably varies from d-school to d-school.

I can tell you from my perspective, I went to a very small 4 yr college where we had only 60 full time students in the science department. I feel I got a better undergrad education preparing me for d-school than a lot of my classmates because we got a lot more 1-on-1 time with the professors because of the smaller student to professor ratio in each class. Plus, we had a couple of courses that those attending big colleges never had available or had too many classes to choose from like embryology (helped in cell biology) and gross anatomy (actual cadaver dissection). In the end, I was able to excel at my 4 yr state college which et me up for my d-school education.

Reactions: 1 user
If you do well in school, it doesn't matter where you go to undergrad - state college vs university. To what degree do d-schools weight one type of school over the other, only those in adcoms really know and it probably varies from d-school to d-school.

I can tell you from my perspective, I went to a very small 4 yr college where we had only 60 full time students in the science department. I feel I got a better undergrad education preparing me for d-school than a lot of my classmates because we got a lot more 1-on-1 time with the professors because of the smaller student to professor ratio in each class. Plus, we had a couple of courses that those attending big colleges never had available or had too many classes to choose from like embryology (helped in cell biology) and gross anatomy (actual cadaver dissection). In the end, I was able to excel at my 4 yr state college which et me up for my d-school education.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it :D