State License before Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope someone will have an answer. is it possible to apply for a limited license before securing a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope someone will have an answer. is it possible to apply for a limited license before securing a residency?
Why would you?

Unless you only applied for programs in one state you're not going to necessarily know which state to obtain the license in. Besides a training license will require sponsorship of the program:they often pay for those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why would you?

Unless you only applied for programs in one state you're not going to necessarily know which state to obtain the license in. Besides a training license will require sponsorship of the program:they often pay for those as well.

I am applying in three states only . The reason for that is I am IMG graduate and I want to make sure I make sure my paper work is in order and no hurdles down the road.

I am applying in three states only . The reason for that is I am IMG graduate and I want to make sure I make sure my paper work is in order and no hurdles down the road.
your program will take care of that...the paperwork for a limited license is usually not the IMGs worries...its making sure you have taken care of your visa issues and your ability to become ECFMG certified aren't delayed.

Reactions: 2 users
your program will take care of that...the paperwork for a limited license is usually not the IMGs worries...its making sure you have taken care of your visa issues and your ability to become ECFMG certified aren't delayed.
In certain states, new residents are allowed to start residency once the state med board issues a letter stating that paper work for a training license has been received.

Would you qualify for a license? In most states, you have to do an internship, and there are many states that make IMGs complete a full residency before being able to obtain a license.

But I agree with the above. There is no point in getting a license before you match, as your program will take care of the paperwork for a training license.

Would you qualify for a license? In most states, you have to do an internship, and there are many states that make IMGs complete a full residency before being able to obtain a license.

But I agree with the above. There is no point in getting a license before you match, as your program will take care of the paperwork for a training license.
The state requirements are for the full and unrestricted license which is different than the training license he's inquiring about.

what i get for not reading through...WS already pointed it out...but still... smh