Employment & Professional Networking State licensing/prn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coco88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am curious how accepting OT positions in states other than you attended school in works? If you have passed your nbcot, how difficult is it to get licensed in other states?

Also, does anyone have personal experience as to if it's possible to work a full time pos. And prn evenings/weekends to knock out some debt?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Passing your NBCOT exam doesn't give you any state licensure. You have to go through the application process for whatever state you plan to practice in, whether or not that's the state where you got your degree. I assume for a new grad, the requirements are pretty much the same anywhere, but at minimum, you're going to have to submit your transcripts (to prove that you completed an accredited OT program) and proof of your passing NBCOT score (which you can have done automatically when you take the NBCOT).

Reactions: 1 user
Passing your NBCOT exam doesn't give you any state licensure. You have to go through the application process for whatever state you plan to practice in, whether or not that's the state where you got your degree. I assume for a new grad, the requirements are pretty much the same anywhere, but at minimum, you're going to have to submit your transcripts (to prove that you completed an accredited OT program) and proof of your passing NBCOT score (which you can have done automatically when you take the NBCOT).
How much does it cost to get state licenced in a state? How difficult is it to do?

How much does it cost to get state licenced in a state? How difficult is it to do?
Every state has different requirements. Before pursuing licensure, look at what your state's licensure board requires. In Virginia, the license fee was a couple hundred dollars (I don't remember the exact number) and for a new grad, all I had to do was submit my transcripts and NBCOT form, as I had never worked as an OT anywhere. If I were a previously practicing OT moving into Virginia, I would have had to submit a recommendation form from all previous employers. Again, this is just for the state where I live. Every state has different requirements, and every state has different requirements in order to maintain licensure, in terms of how many CEUs, what type, etc. You can be licensed in more than one state, however, you have to maintain the requirements for each state. (For example, I live in the DC area, so some people may work in both MD and VA, and so have to be licensed in both).

Reactions: 1 user