state licensure: inactive vs expired

Started by drbizzaro
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drbizzaro

Varilux/Essilor Advocate
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a question for all the OD's who have obtained multiple state licenses in the past:

I'm in the process of obtaining a number of state licenses in order to keep my options open.

Let's say I obtain 3 state licenses in: missouri, idaho, florida

What is the safest bet to prevent the states from making me re-write the nbeo again (something that i'm sure no one wants to do).
I know I can obtain an "inactive status". But to reactivate it, it seems that some states require you to retake board 2 or 3 if you have been inactive for 3+years.

Let's say I only work in florida for 3+ years. Should I just let the other 2 expire, or should I set them to inactive status, or should I just pay the yearly fee?

My main concern is being able to still practice someone else (if i decide to later on) without needing to re-write NBEO again.

thanks
 
you safest bet to keeping yourself open to other state options is to keep all your licenses active.

I think Florida is one of the only states that makes you retake NBEO if it's been more than five years since you took it.
 
I think Florida is one of the only states that makes you retake NBEO if it's been more than five years since you took it.

Getting FL license = *GOLD*.

Whoever decided to put such extensive restrictions on the FL license was a genius, FL ODs have Employment for Life! 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I kept my Florida and California licenses active for several years, even after I purchased a practice in Washington. I finally let them go when I realized that the only chance I had of going back to one of those states was after I retire and sell my practice. At that point I want to travel, golf, dive, etc, not see patients. If I do change my mind, there is always the potential that licensure by endorsement will finally be a reality in all 50 states by the year 2030.
 
Being military for a little over 20 years I have moonlighted in a few states. Had a VT, VA, LA and TN license at one point. RETIRED in all but the one I was using, could not see paying the dues (they have gotten way too high). When I reactivated my TN license e.g. all I had to do was prove that I had kept my CME up throughout the inactive period and license renewed.

Just a question for all the OD's who have obtained multiple state licenses in the past:

I'm in the process of obtaining a number of state licenses in order to keep my options open.

Let's say I obtain 3 state licenses in: missouri, idaho, florida

What is the safest bet to prevent the states from making me re-write the nbeo again (something that i'm sure no one wants to do).
I know I can obtain an "inactive status". But to reactivate it, it seems that some states require you to retake board 2 or 3 if you have been inactive for 3+years.

Let's say I only work in florida for 3+ years. Should I just let the other 2 expire, or should I set them to inactive status, or should I just pay the yearly fee?

My main concern is being able to still practice someone else (if i decide to later on) without needing to re-write NBEO again.

thanks