State of Legal Residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtthwscott1

mtthwscott1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can claim legal residence in California and Oregon. On my Amcas I claimed CA to ensure that the UCs would look at my profile. BUT I have yet to see any secondary request from any of them even though I've been Amcas certified since July 21st. My question is this: Should I do a residence change to Oregon yet -- or is it still too early to tell what the UCs will do?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry yet. I was certified on july 17th and only heard from UCI and SD. LA and SF's status update pages both say they haven't even received my AMCAS yet. UCs are notoriously slow. BTW, I go to school in New York (but CA resident). I called UCSF, UCLA and UCSD. All 3 said you need to have a CA drivers license, be registered to vote in CA and have either paid state income taxes or be a dependent on (your parents) CA income tax returns in order to qualify as a resident. If you are missing one of these, you might want to do a residence change.

Indeed I have all of those in both states (minus voter registration in Oregon).

Members don't see this ad :)
mtthwscott1 said:
Indeed I have all of those in both states (minus voter registration in Oregon).

If you are registered to vote in CA, I'd go with that one. I am also an Oregon/Idaho resident and I am applying from Idaho... I think I'll have better options than an OR resident.

:luck:

UCs are generally extremely slow in sending out secondary requests. Some people might get them fast...but for the most part, everyone I knew got secondaries from UCs fairly late compared to their other schools.

OHSU hasn't sent anything out yet either. I'd stick with Cali since you have more options

You didn't have to forefit your driver's lisence in one state before they gave you one in another state? I had to...