SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

State of License Question

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Licensure and Exams' started by legaia, May 10, 2008.

  1. legaia

    legaia Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 5, 2004
    So i'm doing a residency in MN and I dont' know if i'll be returning to my home state soon or don't know where I would be going after my residency. Should I register for licensure in MN or my home state?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. firefighter9015

    firefighter9015 It's not THAT kind of study hour... 2+ Year Member

    Mar 10, 2007
    You can always reciprocate later, but you will have to take the law exam for your state when you do it. That is my understanding of it, but check with the staes you want to to be liscensed in.
  4. PharmDstudent

    PharmDstudent 7+ Year Member

    Jan 8, 2007
  5. Hels2007

    Hels2007 I bite Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Jun 30, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    And what does it have to do with the Residency subforum? This belongs in the Licensure subforum. Hold on tight for the move.

    If you are doing residency in Minnesota, then you must have a Minnesota license. It is not an option. As far as getting licensed in your home state... if you are fairly sure you will be returning there at some point in your life - it makes sense to get licensed there as the primary state of licensure as well, just because it's cheaper and easier than reciprocation. If you have no idea where you will end up - then just keep Minnesota as your primary state and reciprocate/transfer when you move.

    Keep in mind, that you will need to maintain the license in your primary state indefinitely, becase most states (maybe all, I don't know) require that transfer be done from your primary state of licensure, so you cannot just transfer from your second state to your third.
  6. Pharmmusher

    Pharmmusher 2+ Year Member

    Mar 8, 2008
    Unless your residency is at a government facility like the VA, then you obviously have to get licensed in MN. If you're short on cash, then I would just worry about getting licensed in MN. Then, if you decide to leave MN, you will still be able to score transfer your NAPLEX for only $75 instead of all the other fees if you wait more than a year after taking the exam. Since you don't know where you will be going after residency (don't blame you at all, I have no idea either) but you more than likely will know by around this time next year, then you should have enough time to score transfer and take the MPJE for wherever you decide to move.

    Also, you may want to consider how easy it is to work with the BOP in each state. This had a large impact on my decision to get licensed in my school's state and my residency state. The BOP in my school's state has actually people answering the phone right at the BOP instead of one big state licensing division with a bunch of automated answering systems. May not seem like a big deal now, but further down the road when you're thinking about transferring to another state, it may become a big deal (I've heard nightmares).
  7. Pharmmusher

    Pharmmusher 2+ Year Member

    Mar 8, 2008

    Just wondering where you found the source? I checked it out, and the requirements aren't right for my state. Maybe it's just outdated?

Share This Page