State Residency Issues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lou42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for this upcoming spring cycle and have a question regarding residency. I'm originally from Michigan and still have my Michigan drivers license. I've lived in Chicago for the last 2 years paying bills, taxes, work, ect... My first choice in schools is to stay in Chicago and go to the University of Illinois at Chicago. Second would be Milwaukee and finally if it was the only place I got in - University of Michigan or University of Detroit would be my last choice. Also took a tour of UNLV but the out of state tuition was close to a 100k/yr!

Can somebody give me some feedback on residency issues? Do I qualify as an Illinois resident and/or Michigan? Obviously Wisconsin will be out of state tuition.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard something like you can't work at some other state to be considered in-state. What it means is that, since you worked, payed bills and taxes in chicago, you will be considered as Illinois resident. If you go to michigan and work there, you will no longer be an Illinois resident.. My friend was in the same situation too. She went to schools in Cali but is actually from Washington. CA schools told her that unless she works in Washington, she would be considered as California resident to pay the in-state tutiton.. This might be just for her school..I guess the best way to find out is to call the schools of your interest?

technically, you should have obtained an illinois driver's license and registration when you started working there (don't worry, I won't tell). However, each school is allowed to determine it's own residency classification. If you apply to UMich, submit the residency petition to the residency office as soon as you apply. They have very stringent criteria, but I was able to get in-state status from a very similar situation as you. Look at their criteria and structure the argument of your petition accordingly.

I was in a similar situation, you have to contact each school to see how they determine residency, and i'd talk to a person in the office if I were you. I found out I would be considered a resident for one school but I wouldn't for another (they were both in the same state).

They'll tell you to fill out the residency questionnaire, but by phone you can usually get a quick answer.