State school to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Turkishking

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello guys. I've been accepted to SUNY Buffalo State College, and am majoring in Biology. There is another SUNY here which is University at Buffalo. My question is, should I transfer to University at Buffalo? They have their own medical school. Buffalo state is predominantly small, and focused more on business and the arts. Of course, buffalo states biology is lacking. So let's say I pull a 3.7 or 3.8 will medical schools weigh this differently? I'm going to be a freshman this august and any input would be helpful. Thank you guys.
 
It won't really matter as long as you do well at either school; but if the school you are currently going to lacks sufficient resources/opportunities then yeah go ahead and transfer.
 
If you are unhappy, then go ahead and transfer. It really makes no difference whether or not your school has a medical school attached with it or not. You can always find opportunities to shadow or volunteer locally.

You might want to transfer for more research opportunities though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could probably stay where you are and just seek research/clinical opportunities at the other university. May be less hassle.
 
Hello guys. I've been accepted to SUNY Buffalo State College, and am majoring in Biology. There is another SUNY here which is University at Buffalo. My question is, should I transfer to University at Buffalo? They have their own medical school. Buffalo state is predominantly small, and focused more on business and the arts. Of course, buffalo states biology is lacking. So let's say I pull a 3.7 or 3.8 will medical schools weigh this differently? I'm going to be a freshman this august and any input would be helpful. Thank you guys.
OP is an incoming freshman in college. Don't asusme you can "pull a 3.7 or 3.8" without having started undergrad. That can be dangerous.
 
If you are unhappy, then go ahead and transfer. It really makes no difference whether or not your school has a medical school attached with it or not. You can always find opportunities to shadow or volunteer locally.

You might want to transfer for more research opportunities though.
I did call them, and they do have research opportunities. I talked to the head of department of sciences. I asked her how many students are admitted into medical school and she said about 2 or 3 yearly...
 
I did call them, and they do have research opportunities. I talked to the head of department of sciences. I asked her how many students are admitted into medical school and she said about 2 or 3 yearly...
Out of how many....

This could be alarming.
 
Is it 2-3/40-50 that apply or you only have 40-50 students in a class total?

If the application success rate is 2-3/50 then GTFO ASAP
 
Is it 2-3/40-50 that apply or you only have 40-50 students in a class total?

If the application success rate is 2-3/50 then GTFO ASAP
I'm honestly not sure. She said many people that take the pre med courses have expectations that are unrealistic within themselves. Then they do organic chemistry and they end up dropping. The ones that follow through, get admitted apparently. She told me 1 or 2 students. Then she told me they have research opportunities and everything too.
 
You should be okay then. Your school should have med school acceptance stats from previous years. Check those.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad