State school vs. Private school

ese2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that state schools are a better option because there is less competition. But I've also heard that private schools are better because of better guidance and easier to stand out. I'm conflicted on what a actually the case.

For state school I'm thinking University of Illinois (UIUC), and for private schools im looking at llinois Wesleyan, case western, and other similarly ranked schools. I have a 4.6 weighted with a strong upward trend and a 35 ACT.

Am I overthinking everything? I just want to go to a school where I have a higher chance of succeeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

UIUC is a pretty strong school for STEM. I guess it'll ultimately come down to what you want to study but big name state schools or schools with strong names have tons of resources that can help their students succeed (plus large alumni networks which can come in handy if you choose not to do medicine or whatever).

Factors that matter:

1) Fit - #1

and then in no particular order:

- cost
- how likely you are to get a higher GPA (inflationary vs deflationary grading)

You have the stats to go to a top tier school - why not apply to those and see if you get in?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah unless your class rank isl ike in the 75th percentile, in which case damn your high school is inflated, you re at least competitive for things like NW UC WASHU and most ivies unless you have 0 extra curriculars

Factors that matter:

1) Fit - #1

and then in no particular order:

- cost
- how likely you are to get a higher GPA (inflationary vs deflationary grading)

You have the stats to go to a top tier school - why not apply to those and see if you get in?
Thanks for the response. How big of a factor is gpa inflation/deflation? I've talked to a lot of premeds and they say that premed is hard everywhere. I wouldn't apply to UChicago judging by what premeds say lol, but I heard state schools also have deflation. Regarding my school list, I realistically can't get into great/top colleges according to my high school acceptance history, and I couldn't afford it anyways since I'm not eligible for financial aid.

UIUC is a pretty strong school for STEM. I guess it'll ultimately come down to what you want to study but big name state schools or schools with strong names have tons of resources that can help their students succeed (plus large alumni networks which can come in handy if you choose not to do medicine or whatever).
That's true. I want to major in something science so I'm sure UIUC will have lots of options. My friend attends UIUC and says that there's almost no premed support though.

Thanks for the response. How big of a factor is gpa inflation/deflation? I've talked to a lot of premeds and they say that premed is hard everywhere. I wouldn't apply to UChicago judging by what premeds say lol, but I heard state schools also have deflation. Regarding my school list, I realistically can't get into great/top colleges according to my high school acceptance history, and I couldn't afford it anyways since I'm not eligible for financial aid.

If you go to a not well known school that deflates, you're gonna have a bad time unless you manage to do well. You'll get a little bit more leeway at more well known schools like UChicago and Princeton, but it's still hard. The ideal is going to a non-deflating school (or even inflationary school) that's well known like Yale, Dartmouth, Duke, Brown, etc

That's true. I want to major in something science so I'm sure UIUC will have lots of options. My friend attends UIUC and says that there's almost no premed support though.

Actually curious but what level of support do you need?

You already know what the typical pre-req classes are, you need clinical and non-clinical volunteering exposure, you need to shadow, you need a strong GPA and MCAT, you need some type of EC that shows you're well-rounded, you should probably at least try out research (doesn't have to be bench/wet-lab if that isn't your thing)

I say this since to be dead honest, planning for med school will require that you take the initiative (start early and you won't be scrambling at the end). Some schools of course help out more than others but in honestly you know the rules of the game - now play to win. Good luck!

Actually curious but what level of support do you need?

You already know what the typical pre-req classes are, you need clinical and non-clinical volunteering exposure, you need to shadow, you need a strong GPA and MCAT, you need some type of EC that shows you're well-rounded, you should probably at least try out research (doesn't have to be bench/wet-lab if that isn't your thing)

I say this since to be dead honest, planning for med school will require that you take the initiative (start early and you won't be scrambling at the end). Some schools of course help out more than others but in honestly you know the rules of the game - now play to win. Good luck!
I was thinking for advice on classes and scheduling and recommendation papers. But now that you mention it, I think SDN has most of the premed information available

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking for advice on classes and scheduling and recommendation papers. But now that you mention it, I think SDN has most of the premed information available

Ratemyprofessor + your schools course guide (+ major advisors or whatever your school calls them) and be willing to get to know the upperclassmen in your major (and outside your major). In life you will network a lot so you might as well start getting those reps in. Rec letters will come if you take the initiative and get to know your profs/advisors/etc. Go to office hrs, maybe join an interest group/club they run (I remember I'd joined a comp biochemistry club and it helped since I'm currently still using those skills), do research.

In college don't be afraid to go beyond the typical premed bubble. Get to know people, administrators, etc. Take a chance and do that cool study abroad trip you hear about. These are what will give your story that rich tapestry that these adcomms are hounding for. And of course keep up your grades - a 4.0 is not necessary (it's nice but 3.7+ and you're fine) so don't kill yourself trying to keep one.

Personally, I've felt advising has been pretty useless for me thus far. Advisors don't exactly know what fits for you or your needs; only you do. Imho you should take the initiative to look through the course layouts and classes to see what suits your plan more, or at the very least research SDN to see what you need. Almost everything if not all is in your hands. I also don't really think that advisors can help you much with LoR's-- that's up to you, what you show and how much you interact with your professors to determine how strong of a relationship you're able to develop. Granted, I do go to a state school with terrible advising so I may not have experienced the benefits of GOOD academic advising, but that's my two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless its Harvard, Yale, Duke, Princeton, Vandy, etc. go to the school you can save the most $$.

I've heard that state schools are a better option because there is less competition. But I've also heard that private schools are better because of better guidance and easier to stand out. I'm conflicted on what a actually the case.

For state school I'm thinking University of Illinois (UIUC), and for private schools im looking at llinois Wesleyan, case western, and other similarly ranked schools. I have a 4.6 weighted with a strong upward trend and a 35 ACT.

Am I overthinking everything? I just want to go to a school where I have a higher chance of succeeding.

If those private schools grade on a curve, DO NOT go there. If you go to a school, with a bunch of other smart people, and your grades are on a curve, you are putting yourself at high risk at getting a lower than optimal GPA. This is something you should research before you choose the school to go to.

Ultimately, choose the school you can get the best grades in. If you believe you can achieve the best grades at both the state school and the private, then it's a personal decision as to whether you can afford the private school, or are willing to take on the financial burden...in addition to the one you'd be taking as a medical student. I do believe, though, that private schools have an edge...so long as it doesn't grade on a curve. Also, ask around to make sure the pre-med departments are strong at those schools. You don't want to go to one where the Pre-Health advisor sucks. I've heard horror stories...and they're the ones writing your committee letter to medical schools at the end of the day. Good luck!

Go to the cheapest school, any large state school or notable private school is completely fine if you want to do medicine.