xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will most likely go OOS for UG.

The following state schools I have taken a look at are:

University of Kentucky
University of Missouri

Both schools are fantastic and I know that UK has a med school. I have two cousins who went there and one who graduated. They keep telling me I could get in if I can pull a 3.4 and an 1800 SAT I score but I don't know if that will happen. Are there any other state schools besides these two which accept a bunch of OOS applicants and have a strong pre med reputation?

I have looked at both schools and I love the location and everything about them, they are fantastic, but there HAS TO be other schools like these out there.

Also, I have heard it is best to look at state schools with med schools. Don't know how true this is. Both schools mentioned above are top uni's ranked by U.S news.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any other state schools besides these two which accept a bunch of OOS applicants and have a strong pre med reputation?
Uh...pretty much all of them? I mean, they might not accept a lot of OOS kids percentage-wise, but 15% of a class at a large state school is a lot of people. All state schools will prepare you admirably for medical school if you work hard.
Also, I have heard it is best to look at state schools with med schools.
That's probably irrelevant for the most part. The only way I can see that helping much is that the admissions committees would have a chance of personally knowing some of the people who wrote your rec letters. They'll also be intimately familiar with the difficulty (or laxity) of the pre-med program at the school and can judge you accordingly.

Both schools mentioned above are top uni's ranked by U.S news.
Rankings are garbage. There are far, far too many factors involved in choosing a college for a ranking to be of any use whatsoever. That doesn't even take personal preferences into account.

Uh...pretty much all of them? I mean, they might not accept a lot of OOS kids percentage-wise, but 15% of a class at a large state school is a lot of people. All state schools will prepare you admirably for medical school if you work hard.
That's probably irrelevant for the most part. The only way I can see that helping much is that the admissions committees would have a chance of personally knowing some of the people who wrote your rec letters. They'll also be intimately familiar with the difficulty (or laxity) of the pre-med program at the school and can judge you accordingly.

Rankings are garbage. There are far, far too many factors involved in choosing a college for a ranking to be of any use whatsoever. That doesn't even take personal preferences into account.

I agree. Another state school that is a tier 2 or three school is University of Louisville. Fantastic uni, not listed under national universities.

However, I would like to know at least SOME of the OTHER factors involved.

I just want to be near a city (urban setting), nice big campus, will prep me well enough to give me a shot at a fantastic medical school, etc AND has stuff that I can get involved in on campus as well as off. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say that Columbia, MO is a huge city. The University is pretty big, but if the undergrads all went home on break, the city's population would probably drop by more than half.

If you're looking to increase your odds, Texas would be a good place to go to undergrad. I'm not sure about how you have to go about applying for residency but if you started early enough Texas has a lot of public med schools and it would be one of the better places to go to increase your odds. Ohio and New York are also worth looking at.

I wouldn't say that Columbia, MO is a huge city. The University is pretty big, but if the undergrads all went home on break, the city's population would probably drop by more than half.

If you're looking to increase your odds, Texas would be a good place to go to undergrad. I'm not sure about how you have to go about applying for residency but if you started early enough Texas has a lot of public med schools and it would be one of the better places to go to increase your odds. Ohio and New York are also worth looking at.

Two good schools that come to mind are Texas A&M University-College Station (very good) and Texas Tech. What school are worth looking at in Texas? Ohio? NY?

It really depends on what kind of school you want to go to, and how far away you want to go from home... colleges tend to prefer OOS candidates because admission costs more for them, or so I've heard.

Personally I am looking at Samford, Auburn (Pre-Pharmacy), and the UCo at Denver.

Two good schools that come to mind are Texas A&M University-College Station (very good) and Texas Tech. What school are worth looking at in Texas? Ohio? NY?

If you're going to go to a state school in Texas, might as well choose University of Texas. A lot of my friends go there, and they quite love it. Of course, it just depends on how you feel on large campuses, etc.