State vs Private??!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot here about state vs private fancy undergrads and how in the end it doesn't really matter where you go since they will get you into the same grad schools if you do well.

With that note:

I have a choice b/w a top twenty medical school and my state school (UIC). I do not know which one to pick as one is soooooooo much more than the other.

What do you guys think... are state med schools always worth the money saved?

I'm so confused and scared about the huge amounts of money med school costs!

Members don't see this ad.

Save your money go to a state school, I did and I'm very happy with my state school.

anomic said:
I've read a lot here about state vs private fancy undergrads and how in the end it doesn't really matter where you go since they will get you into the same grad schools if you do well.

With that note:

I have a choice b/w a top twenty medical school and my state school (UIC). I do not know which one to pick as one is soooooooo much more than the other.

What do you guys think... are state med schools always worth the money saved?

I'm so confused and scared about the huge amounts of money med school costs!
Think about where you could see yourself being the happiest...the one piece of advice I've gotten from a lot of med students is that money should not be a significant factor in your decision (this was coming from one guy who had $200K in debt). You'll pay it off eventually, and if you think you'll get more out of the top 20 private school (whether in terms of happiness, clinical training, residency, etc.), go there. But if you like the state school just as much and feel like your opportunities coming from there would be equivalent, then save the money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you been accepted to both schools yet? If not, you should be worrying about getting in FIRST and not stressing about which school to choose.

Also remember that student loans die when u die. Take as much as u want from the banks and pay it back when u feel like it. Take out more and put it in the stock market, thats my plan.