Statement of Need from Canada and DO grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red ruby

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a tough situation and I just wanted to see if there is anyone else out there who has had to deal with this. I am a Canadian who graduated from a DO school. Apparently, at this time, Canada will not provide a statement of need for grads of osteopathic schools. Without this statement of need, I can't continue in my residency program since my program only sponsors the J1 visa and will not consider sponsoring the H1B. Anyone else face a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Tough situation. Did you call Health Canada?I'd try to talk to somebody there. You could switch to family med, in which case DO's are recognized, and you'd get your statement of need. Another option would be trying to switch to a program that sponsors H1B. You could also try getting the J1 from a different country.

Hmm... that really sucks! I e-mailed health canada a while back ([email protected]) and she said they would be willing to consider a statement of need for a J-1 visa for a Canadian DO student as long as I provided the paperwork for them and a plan for how I am planning to get board certified in Canada (need to take canadian boards, dates, acgme residency, etc). But I haven't done any of that since I am not yet applying to residencies. Call them and ask.

You are NOT ALONE because there are more and more Canadians in DO schools and I'm sure they'll change their policy sooner or later. Who knows: maybe you'll be the first one to get J-1 sponsorship from Health Canada??

On a side note, I really hate all this beaurecratic bull cra*. I hate dealing with the government. BTW, what specialty are you in? Did you find it difficult applying to residencies as an international student AS WELL AS a DO student? Did any osteopathic residencies want to sponsor you for the J-1? Because no AOA residencies that I've e-mailed sponsor visas, only ACGME residencies.

Good luck. Let us know here what happens! Many Canadian DO's can benefit from your hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though this is a little off topic, I think it relates very much to practice rights for DOs in Canada. Alberta is in the midst of hopefully passing the "Health Professions Act" this summer/fall. This legislation would accept both the COMLEX and USMLE as equivalents to the Canadian board exams.

As it currently stands, all American-trained physicians (both MD and DO) have to pass the MCCQE parts 1 & 2 in order to practice in nearly every province in Canada. (DOs are viewed as IMGs and are required to take an additional exam prior to the MCCQE to prove competency.) This may not sound like much of a hassel, but understand that these exams are only offered in select cities in Canada and offered only a couple times a year. Furthermore, the total cost of the exams is over $3,500.....and you'd have to review Step 1 material. Not fun,especially when you've been out of medical school for a few years, like myself. These exams are major obstacles to many Canadian students/residents training in the US at both allopathic and osteopathic institutions.

Ontario passed similar legislation a few years ago that accepts the COMLEX and USMLE, making it much easier for American-trained docs to practice in that province. I believe that passing similar legislation in Alberta could potentially open up many doors for Canadians who are studying in the states. I think this could have a snowball effect throughout the rest of Canada and open doors for practice rights in other provinces.

I've written letters to the province of Alberta, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, the Medical Council of Canada, the American Osteopathic Association and the Canadian Osteopathic Association.

If you are a Canadian citizen studying in the USA and wish to return to your homeland, I urge you to support this important legislation in Alberta, regardless of what province you are from. Please demonstrate your support by writing the above organizations. If you are interested in receiving contact information for these organizations or seeing a copy of my form-letters, feel free to contact me personally. Best of luck in your studies!

Mike
[email protected]

Mike, that's a valiant effort on your part. Great job getting equality for DO's and IMG's in Canada. One of the reasons why I am not thinking of going back to Canada is because I do not want to write the MCEE, MCQE1 and MCQE2 in addition to USMLE/COMLEX, but perhaps that will change with a change in legislation back in Canada.

PistolPete: Thanks for the pat on the back. Unfortunately, I haven't done anything yet, except write letters. Hopefully things will change, but I think it will require a lot of expressed interest from American-trained docs and students...not to mention a little divine intervention. Heaven knows Canada's been stubborn. If you truly want to return to Canada, I recommend you you voice your opinion. I've learned that things don't change if we keep silent.

Some news from the AOA on May 15th:

"Several Canadian students attending AOA colleges of osteopathic medicine recently contacted the AOA regarding their inability to secure J-1 visas, which foreign students need in order to enter residency training programs in the US before returning to Canada to practice. To advocate for these students, the AOA set up a meeting with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), which administers the J-1 visa program. AOA staff and I spoke with the ECFMG’s Executive Director on the call, during which the ECFMG committed to treating international students who graduate from AOA-accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine the same as international graduates of LCME-accredited allopathic medical schools for purposes of sponsoring J-1 visas. The AOA will now work with the ECFMG to prepare information for medical students concerning how to apply for a J-1 visa and related aspects of this situation."

J-1 visas will hopefully soon be sponsored for Canadian students at DO schools. At least that's another option, if it goes through.

If you get anything less than H1B, you are screwed.
Only two options, go back to Canada for residency, or get H1B here and later get a green card.

I may not be totally informed regarding the visa issues right now, but I'm curious to know why a J-1 visa (assuming DOs will be able to obtain it) wouldn't be a good option.

Some news from the AOA on May 15th:

"Several Canadian students attending AOA colleges of osteopathic medicine recently contacted the AOA regarding their inability to secure J-1 visas, which foreign students need in order to enter residency training programs in the US before returning to Canada to practice. To advocate for these students, the AOA set up a meeting with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), which administers the J-1 visa program. AOA staff and I spoke with the ECFMG’s Executive Director on the call, during which the ECFMG committed to treating international students who graduate from AOA-accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine the same as international graduates of LCME-accredited allopathic medical schools for purposes of sponsoring J-1 visas. The AOA will now work with the ECFMG to prepare information for medical students concerning how to apply for a J-1 visa and related aspects of this situation."

J-1 visas will hopefully soon be sponsored for Canadian students at DO schools. At least that's another option, if it goes through.

I think the problem is the government of Canada's recognition of the DO degree, a meeting between the AOA and ECFMG wont really change anything. Funny that a few provinces allow DO's in carms though.

as for the H1b thing, check this link out.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/med/administration/gme/pdf_files/H1B-visa_memo.pdf

A few points:

1. It is unfortunate that most Texas medical schools do not sponsor H1B visas. Their loss.

2. I feel that the AOA meeting with the ECFMG can help move things along. At least they are aware of the situation facing Canadian DO's and are working on an improvement.

3. It is true that getting the H1B is ideal, but the J-1 can still be an option. Yes, you may have more trouble getting the green card, but a residency on a J-1 visa is better than no residency at all.

There are tons of schools that sponser H1B.
Even though they write they don't sponser on their websites. When you talk to them telling them you are Canadian and doing DO in the states. They will most likely make exceptions.

I think the fact that us Canadian DO students are on F-1 student visas put us in a bit different category that usually isn't mentioned on most programs' websites. It's definitely worth contacting programs you're interested in!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of schools that sponser H1B.
Even though they write they don't sponser on their websites. When you talk to them telling them you are Canadian and doing DO in the states. They will most likely make exceptions.

Fewer and fewer programs are sponsoring H1Bs. Those that do tend to be primary care, and require huge admin fees. Talking to them really doesnt make that much of a difference anymore, the H1B policies are pretty much set in stone. Of course theres always exceptions.

I think the bigger issue here is, why would anyone from Canada want to complete an AOA only accredited residency program? It will do you no good if you wish to return to Canada to practice medicine - you need to either complete an ACGME residency, or one that is dually accredited by the ACGME and the AOA.

... ... Hopefully things will change, but I think it will require a lot of expressed interest from American-trained docs and students......... recommend you voice your opinion. ...

I wonder what happened with the OP, did the OP get the H1B from the program after all, or did the OP transfer to a program that does grant the H1B visa.

Anyway, the issue of Canada's support for J-1 Visas will be discussed by the Statement of Need's program committee. General info from the administration center at Health Canada is that there is some interest from Canadian students at DO schools. But, as someone mentioned, right now only a few provinces can issue a licence for a DO grad who has taken a US ACGME program.

I suppose if some Canadian DOs can take a moment to send a letter/email to the center at Health Canada, in favour of supporting DOs for the J-1 Visa, it would show how much interest there really is. Apparently, the committee will make the final decision.

I am only going to guess what Cdn DOs have done in the past for a visa, maybe the H1B, or something else, and maybe that's what they want anyway, however, if there are students out there who want to participate in making this change, then write !
[email protected]
fax 613 948 8081

Last edited:
Also, do you know if I would have to take the MCEE to be eligible for the statement of need as a DO grad? I will already be taking the UMSLE Step 1 and Step 2 as well as COMLEX Level 1 and Level 2, and I'd really rather not take the MCEE (especially since it's like a $1000 :mad:) if I can help it!

I'm pretty sure the only province that won't issue a license to a DO who has completed an ACGME accredited residency is Saskatchewan.

But ya, my letter is on its way... here's hoping that in 2 years time the J1 issue won't be an issue!

Hey Guys, I am a Canadian interested in a DO program. With all of this, is it worth it for me? I was planning on going back to BC when done...
Also, just wondering which programs are the most Canadian friendly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There will be a 'pilot' program to consider Statements of Need for J-1 visas for DOs for July 2010. If you want to participate, contact "[email protected]"

There will be a 'pilot' program to consider Statements of Need for J-1 visas for DOs for July 2010. If you want to participate, contact "[email protected]"

Very interesting. Do you have a link that supports this? I haven't found any of this information on Health Canada's website. I hope this program stays, as there are many Canadian DO's who would benefit from this.

Very interesting. Do you have a link that supports this? I haven't found any of this information on Health Canada's website. I hope this program stays, as there are many Canadian DO's who would benefit from this.

NewCanadian gave you the email to contact. What else do you want?

Either way if you are studying in the US on an F1 you can get 1 year training extension on your F1 visa, which will give you time to do step 3 and apply for H1B. Therefore won't need to return to Canada for 2 years if you decide to stay and work in the US. I would strongly suggest that path.

NewCanadian, do DO students also have to do the MCQEE or are they exempt? I hope they do, otherwise it is just more discrimination between Canadians depending on where they study, UK, Ireland, Carib.

I'm pretty sure that Canadian DO's have to take not only the MCQEE 1 and 2, like Canadian medical students, but ALSO the MCEE (MCEE is needed at the minimum to apply to carms). Total bull. See: http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml

Hopefully I'll be able to land an H1 when I apply and forego all this nonsense.

Aren't you doing med school up in Canada, docbill? I vaguely remember you saying that UNECOM didn't turn out too well for you... Hope you are doing well!

I'm pretty sure that Canadian DO's have to take not only the MCQEE 1 and 2, like Canadian medical students, but ALSO the MCEE (MCEE is needed at the minimum to apply to carms). Total bull. See: http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml

Hopefully I'll be able to land an H1 when I apply and forego all this nonsense.

Aren't you doing med school up in Canada, docbill? I vaguely remember you saying that UNECOM didn't turn out too well for you... Hope you are doing well!

I am not in Canada and I am somewhere in the US. Doing very well and it was the best decision I have ever made.