Statement of Need from Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemo90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious about the experience this year since the cap has been removed. The website says it takes 30 working days since application to receive the Statement of Need. Has anyone received it earlier?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for it as soon as I got the match results and it was issued on April 4th.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied for it as soon as I got the match results and it was issued on April 4th.
Did you apply on the 11th or the 15th of March?
Either way you got it pretty soon. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't apply until you have proof from NRMP of what exact program you matched to. They state explicitly you can't submit your SoN application prior to when full match results are released or it will be auto-rejected; have to wait to get the NRMP match email even if you know what program you matched to in advance. Therefore by necessity it would have to be March 15th or later.

Yup, what he said.

I know this thread is old but does Canada give statement of need for neurosurgery?

Statement of Need in Canada is not limited based on specialty. They giving it for all specialties now without any restriction. Previously there was a cap when I applied but now they have removed all restrictions, but they don't guarantee a job afterwards. Check the website for information as it's pretty detailed and easy to follow through.

Statement of Need in Canada is not limited based on specialty. They giving it for all specialties now without any restriction. Previously there was a cap when I applied but now they have removed all restrictions, but they don't guarantee a job afterwards. Check the website for information as it's pretty detailed and easy to follow through.
thank you so much! do you know if it will stay like this for years to come or is it just a recent change for past few years and this year. i checked their website already as well. :)

thank you so much! do you know if it will stay like this for years to come or is it just a recent change for past few years and this year. i checked their website already as well. :)

When I started residency it was capped. After a lot of advocating, it changes to no restrictions. I doubt it’ll be changing back anytime soon. They pretty good at replying and answering questions so you can always shoot them an email.