States with no residency requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenghis

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the states with no residency requirement: Hawaii, Connecticut, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania

How does that work considering that the bulk of the experience you learn is from residency (from what I've read)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How does that work considering that the bulk of the experience you learn is from residency (from what I've read)?

It doesn't. Even if you get a license, no malpractice carrier (that I know of) will cover you without a residency, even if you're working nursing home gigs.

Podiatry training is peculiar, because residency prepares you for your most difficult and complicated medical decisions, but it is also utterly irrelevant for 90% of what you need to do during clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
I think its worth understanding this "path" and then understanding that no one walks this route by choice. The usual way you hear about this is that someone matches to a Pennsylvania residency and they find out that they need to pass Part 3 before residency. Someone perhaps mentions to you that you can practice in Pennsylvania with just Part 3. No way, you say to yourself.

If you graduate, fail to match, but pass APMLE part 3 then possibly you could practice in one of those states. I met a woman doing nursing home work in Pennsylvania who had done the above and who was still trying to get a residency years later. She had been doing the nursing home thing for years trying over and over. This forum sometimes speaks unkindly of people who can't match or can't pass APMLE etc, but when you meet someone who hasn't completed a residency in real life the only thing you experience for them is pity/sadness.

Without a residency you can't board certify. Its likely more difficult to get malpractice. In a field where the job market is already meh you will be the least skilled person in the room. The only thing you can do is nursing home work and I'm not even sure how that works.

Every year there are people who don't match. Having interviewed some of them - none of them ran off to the states above to become full time nursing home podiatrists. Everyone I spoke to found a podiatrist office to try and stay in the game with and then went back to residency if they could.

Graduating and going straight into nursing home work to skip the 3 years and "get ahead financially" is not a viable path. We jokingly talk a lot of smack on this forum about things like ROI and the job. The ROI does not improve by skipping good residency training. If that's the impression we're giving people then we need to be more nuanced.

Reactions: 3 users
How could one not get a residency after years of trying if they have passed boards?

I know of someone who did a residency 16 years after podiatry school graduation (They didn't try for residency throughout those 16 years, but after 16 years).

Surely it's possible to get a spot in new york or so.

Something major would have to be on your record or something for one to truly not be able to get a residency. Such as a violent felony.

Perhaps its just someone who is only trying for a decent residency close to home and just refuses anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users