Stateside Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maran

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any non-US medical schools that offer rotations (during 3rd and/or 4th year) in the US?
How common is this? Have any of you done it? Are any of you planning to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Non-US medical schools in the US??? Please enlighten me.

Most of the Caribbean schools (Ross, St George's, Saba, etc.) have their students do their third and fourth year rotations in the US. Some people have to arrange their own, and have them approved by their school (a friend at Saba's sister school did this), and I think others, like Ross and St George's, have set hospitals where many of their students go.

I also remember that Ross was also supposed to open a "branch" in Wyoming (I think it was WY), but there was a lot of ruckus raised about it. It still wouldn't have been LCME-approved, even though in the US. Don't know how that ever turned out.

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops: oh, I got it. My brain was wrapped in cobwebs when I read that earlier and I read it about 10 times,duh!!!
Yes, Fatima College of Medicine and Science in the Philippines has rotation opportunities in a couple of hospitals in NY. It's usually their top students and in the 4th yr.

Many non-US medical schools have rotations at various US hospitals. As mentioned most of the Caribbean schools do. My school in Australia had formal relationships for 4th year rotations but required you to do all of your 3rd year rotations down under. Furthermore, even without a formal relationship, many US medical schools will allow you to do 4th year rotations as a visiting student.

hey fatimadr,
aside from the conditions you mentioned earlier, and let's say you also have the dough to spend, are there any other restrictions for getting an "away rotation" from your medical school. Let's say if you're a Philippine national with no visa or passport, will the medical school aid a top student in getting the proper visa from the embassy?
just wondering, because this may be of value to some undergrads in the RP.