Statistics and Calc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonc1213

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing for the June 23rd exam. I heard a lot of people say that quite a few problems with statistics and calc are on the PCAT. I've never taken stats so what is a good place to learn some statistics fundamentals? Also, is the Barron's guide a decent place to guage your math skills (apart from stats) or does anyone recommend another math prep source?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm preparing for the June 23rd exam. I heard a lot of people say that quite a few problems with statistics and calc are on the PCAT. I've never taken stats so what is a good place to learn some statistics fundamentals? Also, is the Barron's guide a decent place to guage your math skills (apart from stats) or does anyone recommend another math prep source?

Thanks!

Any statistic questions will be the basic ones as the PCAT doesn't test the hardcore concepts found in statistic classes. So, don't expect any regression problems on the PCAT.

I think those study aids/test prep statistics book from your Barnes and Noble will work. As for calculus, I like reviewing the main concepts from a textbook as most of the calc on the PCAT is simply textbook calculus.

:thumbup:

Thanks!

I'm not sure what "quite a few" means but stat/probability would technically be 10 questions on the PCAT (if you believe Psych-o-Corp). Multiplication rule is a MUST. A good GRE prep book will cover your outstanding questions about statistics; I find that their problems are easily fair game.

As for me, I borrowed Sullivan Algebra and Trigonometry from my brother in law. As I go through the book (about 1000 pages) I am just doing exercises and a little bit of reading. Roughly it took me a week to cover half of the book studying couple hours a day. By the way, last time I saw formulas at school 5 years ago. So, I found it helpful. :cool:
I’ve got a question also. When they say on the website:
The Quantitative Ability subtest will no longer include geometry items but will now include basic math items, and the number of probability and statistics items will be increased.
Geometry is that the same as trigonometry? I am kinda confused now. Do I have to know all this graphs and functions of sine, cosine, and tangent? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
As for me, I borrowed Sullivan Algebra and Trigonometry from my brother in law. As I go through the book (about 1000 pages) I am just doing exercises and a little bit of reading. Roughly it took me a week to cover half of the book studying couple hours a day. By the way, last time I saw formulas at school 5 years ago. So, I found it helpful. :cool:
I’ve got a question also. When they say on the website:
The Quantitative Ability subtest will no longer include geometry items but will now include basic math items, and the number of probability and statistics items will be increased.
Geometry is that the same as trigonometry? I am kinda confused now. Do I have to know all this graphs and functions of sine, cosine, and tangent? :eek:

No, geometry isn't the same as trig. And you should recognize the graphs and functions for sin, cos, and tan. They used to test you on being able to find angles based on the fact that there was an isosceles triangle in the image. If they're taking out regular geometry, then you don't have to worry about SAS, ASA, and HL and HA (if you remember your geometry rules, then you'll know what those are).

Thanks for enlightening me. I would have skipped that chapter, now I have one more thing to struggle with. :( And I remember nothing about SAS, ASA, and HL (are you kidding me – It’s like Greek!). Why in the world do pharmacists need to know all that? :confused: Some information just seems so useless to me. Anyway, thanks again, binghamkid. :)

Thanks for enlightening me. I would have skipped that chapter, now I have one more thing to struggle with. :( And I remember nothing about SAS, ASA, and HL (are you kidding me – It’s like Greek!). Why in the world do pharmacists need to know all that? :confused: Some information just seems so useless to me. Anyway, thanks again, binghamkid. :)

They're not looking to test you on whether you know the concepts. The point of the PCAT is to test you on your critical thinking skills and ability to think conceptually in a time-constrained environment. That's why they have the quantitative math section in there. Hope that helps =)