statistics in grad school

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by skittles, May 2, 2004.

1. skittles

skittles Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm thinking about dragging myself through a stat class b/c I was strongly encouraged to take it in preparation for a future research career. Now, I really really really don't want to take stat right now b/c I want to take a fun class i'll never be able to take in my life. So do they teach you the stat that you need to know in grad school? or should is stat worth doing in college?

2. Treg

Treg Surgeon in training
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took a stats class this year solely as a prereq for a med school (I am in my 4th year of PhD). I have learned the important stats elements during my lab courses in undergrad and along the way in grad school, so the class was really useless. In fact, I spent most of my time trying to decipher if the instructor was a man or woman (still not sure). :laugh:

A biostatistics class could be useful, but usually you have to take a regular stats as a prereq, which is too much of an investment, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Treg

3. vwhan

vwhan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You take a stat class in grad school. However, the stats that I use are limited to Analysis of Variance and Tukey-Kramer test. These methods were both taught to me in stat class, as well as other students in the lab. I say take the fun class :thumbup: