statistics on first choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

afteranesthesia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize there are general stats from charting outcomes for this, but I have a couple of questions..

Do those stats mean contiguous ranks or actual programs themselves? So say I rank a categorical track first and advanced second and then another categorical for my technically third rank - is it still about 77-87% chance I'll match in one my top three?

Can you even apply that to anesthesia itself since it was all-match stats?

I am at the point where I'm making final choices on my list, and we are looking at housing options, and I guess I'm honestly curious how likely it actually is I'll get one of my top three.
 
I don't know about contiguous. You'll match at your no. 1. Here, have some of my Xanax. 😎
 
No idea how to apply the stats to anesthesia. I believe categorical and advanced spots at the same place are considered separate ranks in those statistics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the stats dont even matter because there is always a chance your going somewhere else. find out in march
 
No idea how to apply the stats to anesthesia. I believe categorical and advanced spots at the same place are considered separate ranks in those statistics.

Charting outcomes defines contiguous ranks as "the number of programs ranked in the first-choice specialty before a program in another specialty appeared on the applicant's rank order list."

So ranking advanced and categorical are considered contiguous as they are in the same specialty.
 
In the land of the passive aggressive gunners, also known as SDN, the obsessing never stops.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad