Statistics on new mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that statistics will be on the new exam? How do you prepare for this? Do I just do a lot of practice passages?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering that the passages tend to be based on actual experimental data from journal excerpts, I would say that basic knowledge of stats is required. In the hard sciences, I believe that mostly a few concepts are highly used whereas in social sciences, they tend to be more heavy in the stats. I may be wrong, though. Know your parametric and nonparametric tests, central tendency, and definitely know how to look at a chart and instantly know what is significantly different/not and type I and II errors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the AAMC content outline, it is unlikely you will need advanced stats to do well on the MCAT. You will probably get away with not having a dedicated statistics class too. If you can take one, go for it, but I would not go out of your way to find a stats class at least not right now. What little stats the AAMC has reported is "testable" and what has already appeared on their practice materials is fairly simple and conceptual.

Understanding the basics of statistical significance, correlation vs causation, common error types, variance, and statistical biases are likely to be tested over and over. Statistical design and considerations seem to me more important than just doing stats or calculating anything.

Time will tell, but the AAMC will likely treat stats the way it has treated most math and calculations. A solid understanding of the concepts >>>> any ability to crunch numbers or pore over minutiae. Be prepared to decipher stats presented in tables, figures and graphs. What the numbers tells you will be way more important than HOW they arrived at those numbers.

Good luck!

Is basic stats covered in any of review books? I don't even know basic things and that gets me on practice fls