statistics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herecomesthesun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Is there a difference between how a 2x2 table is set up for a [disease v. test] and a [drug v. disease]? I know that for a study the disease goes on top and test to the left, but for a clinical trial,where does the drug/disease go in the 2x2 table? (on top or left of 2x2?)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

to be honest.. i would advise against studying it like this.. while it may be common to put the disease on top for either one (ie. the answer u were looking for) it doesnt mean that they cant switch it up. It shouldnt matter which way they present it, you should still be able extract the information out of the table they give. I would check twice if they give the box cause they might switch just to see if you really do understand it. When it comes to sn, sp, ppv, npv its better to understand what they mean than jus memorizing the formula and using the pattern of a/a+b etc. In any case, if you have to draw it out (likely as well) then using the common pattern could u help out. hope this helps.. ;)

to be honest.. i would advise against studying it like this.. while it may be common to put the disease on top for either one (ie. the answer u were looking for) it doesnt mean that they cant switch it up. It shouldnt matter which way they present it, you should still be able extract the information out of the table they give. I would check twice if they give the box cause they might switch just to see if you really do understand it. When it comes to sn, sp, ppv, npv its better to understand what they mean than jus memorizing the formula and using the pattern of a/a+b etc. In any case, if you have to draw it out (likely as well) then using the common pattern could u help out. hope this helps.. ;)

agreed. When I went through biostats our teacher switched it on us and said one of her former students said it was switched on the USMLE. So, understand the concept :luck: