pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2002
Atl and soon to be OKC
Status
is statistics is a pre-med requirement? i have taken calc 2, is that enough math or do you think stat would help me?
also if i took stat at a community college over summer, would that look bad? thanks

Mystique

The Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know it's recommended, but as far as I know it's not a pre-med requirement. But, it may vary depending upon your undergrad. Some medical schools may require you to have statistics, but I think those are rare. Check w/ the schools first (look at MSAR or on the websites). If you opt to take Stats at a cc, I doubt it'll be looked upon negatively. Just do well in it. Anyways, math rocks! :)

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
stats is req'd at UCLA according to the MSAR. I'm sure it's req'd at a few other schools as well. I know an MS1 at UCLA who said they waved the req for him. You could go this route, but if you have the opportunity to take a stats course, I think you should. There's a stats course in med school and you'll be more prepared for it. Besides, intro to stats isn't that bad and, to quote ThingAMaJig, "math rocks!"

About the Ads

UCLA2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
the hospital
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
They made it a requirement at UCLA for THIS YEARS entering class. An MS1 at UCLA could have easily gotten it waived because when he applied it was "suggested" but not required.

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
Originally posted by UCLA2000
They made it a requirement at UCLA for THIS YEARS entering class. An MS1 at UCLA could have easily gotten it waived because when he applied it was "suggested" but not required.
ah, good to know.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
hey pbehzad,
I'd say go ahead and take stats sometime during undergrad. Its infinitely easier than calculus (dont worry, i took stats at Emory, its not hard at all), a nice little shot to the science GPA, and depending on the med school you go to there might be a biostats/clinical epi course thrown in there so it might prove useful down the road.

J

jot

doh - i had my stats requirement waived (no credit) - i geuss ucla is out then?

About the Ads