1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

statistics requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Jul 11, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy
    7+ Year Member

is statistics is a pre-med requirement? i have taken calc 2, is that enough math or do you think stat would help me?
    also if i took stat at a community college over summer, would that look bad? thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know it's recommended, but as far as I know it's not a pre-med requirement. But, it may vary depending upon your undergrad. Some medical schools may require you to have statistics, but I think those are rare. Check w/ the schools first (look at MSAR or on the websites). If you opt to take Stats at a cc, I doubt it'll be looked upon negatively. Just do well in it. Anyways, math rocks! :)

4. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    stats is req'd at UCLA according to the MSAR. I'm sure it's req'd at a few other schools as well. I know an MS1 at UCLA who said they waved the req for him. You could go this route, but if you have the opportunity to take a stats course, I think you should. There's a stats course in med school and you'll be more prepared for it. Besides, intro to stats isn't that bad and, to quote ThingAMaJig, "math rocks!"

5. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They made it a requirement at UCLA for THIS YEARS entering class. An MS1 at UCLA could have easily gotten it waived because when he applied it was "suggested" but not required.

6. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

Take Stats. It's usually an easy class.

7. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ah, good to know.

8. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey pbehzad,
    I'd say go ahead and take stats sometime during undergrad. Its infinitely easier than calculus (dont worry, i took stats at Emory, its not hard at all), a nice little shot to the science GPA, and depending on the med school you go to there might be a biostats/clinical epi course thrown in there so it might prove useful down the road.

9. jot

jot

doh - i had my stats requirement waived (no credit) - i geuss ucla is out then?