Statistics vs. Calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pietrantonio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

I've been told that most medical schools are not requiring a calculus basedmath knowledge; moreover you need a college algebra foundation these days.

Just contemplating the pros and cons of taking either or course. Anyrecommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

why not take those courses? a basic understanding of statistics is useful in pretty much every field. calculus may not be as widely applicable but it's still good to know in my opinion.

Statistics is more often used when practicing medicine. Most important thing is to know and fulfill the requirement for the school you are applying to. Beside that, you will learn basic statistics in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check the websites of those schools you are specifically looking at, and then I would see what they require. Though personally I would suggest a semester of calc and a semester of stats to cover all your bases (though there are a few schools that require more semesters of calc)

Also talk to your school's advisor: one or both of these courses may be required for you to complete your degree, let alone for admissions. I know one of them is for me.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been told that most medical schools are not requiring a calculus basedmath knowledge; moreover you need a college algebra foundation these days.

Just contemplating the pros and cons of taking either or course. Anyrecommendations?

There are very few schools that require Calculus and those that do tend to be in the top 10 or are cali/texas state schools. Like the person above said, get the MSAR and see exactly which schools these are and if you don't feel the need to apply to them, there is no point in taking Calculus unless you know you will get an "A." If you are not good at math and will have to struggle to do well in Calculus, take statistics and a lower level math course like college algebra. Calculus is not gonna help you with anything and it's not gonna impress any adcoms that you took it over a lower level math, so why take it unless you guarantee an "A?"

In terms of medical school admissions, not many schools require a year of calculus, but some require calc one and another college math. Some medical schools also recommend taking statistics.

IMO, it is probably useful to take both to get your bases covered.

Stats is much more useful. Though for what it's worth Calc 1 did help me solidify my algebra skills which helps in some of the other classes you'll take.

Stats helps me more with my research than calc, but you should be able to do the basic math calculations for gen chem so make sure you're good at those. also, many schools have calc based physics, so a strong background in that is useful if not necessary

Do a semester of each for your math requirement. Stats is very useful as a pre-med--when you're reading a research paper, it's very important to have the concepts of statistical significance and hypothesis-testing down.

Stats will be very useful for you as a clinician when you are reading articles/doing clinical research; calculus is a good foundation for scientists/students forced to take a lot of science courses. Check with the schools to which you would want to apply and with your college major advisor. If you only have to take one, I'd suggest stats if you don't like math; in my opinion, taking both would be ideal and would prevent any future oh-my-gosh-i-love-this-school-but-i-didn't-take-calc moments...

Statistics is more applicable to medicine and it's widely said to be easier.

for usefulness: stats>>calc
stats is also going to be incorporated into the MCAT in upcoming years
many med schools also list stats as one of the "recommended courses"

edit: if you're a CA res, most of the UC's req calc

I'm pretty sure they're also adding stats on the MCAT in 2015. I mean, 2015 MCAT takers should be going into grade 11 right now, but it seems to hint that stats is useful for med school and beyond.

I agree with most of the other posters, one of each.

None of the schools I'm planning on applying to require more than one semester of calculus--even Harvard now says that some calculus knowledge is useful, but a year isn't required. Most schools I've looked at recommend a statistics course. One of each should cover your bases nicely.

Just check which ones are required by your degree, and then check which ones are required and "recommended" by the schools that which you might possibly be applying.

Statsis pretty useful in the real world, and alot of schools require or recommend it. Stats isn't all that hard, but Calc might be. Me personally, I don't like calculus, but I'm taking it anyway (I'll end up having to work really hard on it) just to broaden my range of schools.

A lot of great and helpful replies - thank you!

I have considered taking both Calc I and a Statistics course. The basis of my question really determines which Physics I want to get into. There's a Calc based Physics course or a Physics course at the College Algebra level.

I will be taking Stats this Fall, so we'll see how things go as far as taking Calc. My pre-med advisor did not recommend Calc, however, I completely agree with covering all of my basis.

Thanks everyone!!