Stats and Admissions - concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilchinoboy03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a concern that maybe some of you could address or share your experience. after looking at predents.com, i see that most people that get into schools like ucla/ucsf, have very high GPAs. I mean they're supposed mean is about 3.4-3.5, but all i see is 3.7 and 3.8s.

Yes I know that predents.com is not representative of all the applicants, but there are a lot of people on there, and they all have great numbers. i mean i doubt the schools' average stats will go up much because they haven't really gone up for the past few years. so what is going on? do you think they accept all these students with great stats then accept others with relatively low stats but did something out of the ordinary that is great (like some unique volunteer project)?

Well, i guess to sum it up, my question is, do students with the school's average stats stand a good chance? For example, UCSF's average is about 3.4 and 21 DAT. But all i see on predents.com is 3.8 and 22s. Do you guys think the applicant that is average by their book has a chance without having something crazy great going for them? I'm worried that they're taking all these 3.8s/22s and then they accept some lower stats b/c daddy made a phone call or that student has some other extraordinary accomplishment, and thats how the average comes out the way it is. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

no chance. I have 3.3 and 22 and have not been contacted by any of those top schools, only LLU and USC. Good luck. btw i have very good letters of rec. and a bunch of clubs and shadowing. I would say you need at least 3.4, perhaps even 3.5 to have a shot at ucla, or else dream on. There are way too many people applying to those so sometimes they dont even have time to look at your app. it also depends on ur luck.

Average stats can put you within reach of admission but with more raw numbers of applications you'll need something to separate you from the herd other than your average academics. Without the something extra, you'll have average chances of getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know what, i have good stats, but i dont think thats what they rely everything on. If they see something on your app that they like, I thinkavg stats will be fine. It depends on more than just your gpa. If you have for instance a lot of research and a high DAT, then research schools like UCLA may look at research and publications more than they look at GPA. On the other hand, there are people with great GPA and DAT, but still have problems with interviews/acceptances. I think the schools look at the overall applicant.

They have thousands of applications for a small # of seats. Which means they have hundreds of applications that are 3.5+ and 20+. You have to have those numbers to even be looked at, and then something else to make yourself stand out from all the rest. It is getting very, very competitive to get into dental school.

well my stats are average for GPA and a little above for DAT. i should have a 3.5 or just hovering below a 3.5 when i apply and my DAT is 23/24/19. So I'm more concerned about my GPA hurting me, as far as the UC schools go. But I hope they look at GPA trends because i seriously had a 3.0 after my 2nd year and then flipped a 180 and turned all my B's and C's into A's and A+ and brought it up for the last year and a half. So with those stats, I hope they will atleast take a look at my app. and see that my cum. GPA does not reflect my abilities because there was a huge improvement. my extra curricular includes a handful of dental stuff and some hospital volunteer, frat, TAing, research, martial arts, and the rest is just padding.

I mean...I'm pretty sure I stand a chance, and I don't want to sound like a jerk being worried when my stats are ok, but I just wish I didn't have to worry. I mean if I had a 3.9 right now with that DAT....i would not be worried. I guess its just the anxiety of waiting. my GPA is more or less set in stone give or take a couple of decimal places and my DAT is done. There's nothing left for me to do until June 1. It's killing me!

PS: I'm not looking for praise or assurance (I've seen all those threads that turn into bashing the OP). This is just a genuine concern from a stressed student!

It might be harder for students w low stats, but it's still very possible. My GPA is 3.2 w 21/22/19 DAT, I had 4 interviews and I got in to BU. I do have a much better GPA my senior and junior year so that might have made some difference. I also applied to more schools to increase my chances. You should always try to improve on your resume, but never count yourself out. Sometimes there really no telling what ADCOMs are looking for and what will get you in. From experience, I see alot of people with lower stats get into school, maybe not school like UCLA that focus on GPA, but good schools nonetheless. If you want it enough, do all you can to make it happen! GL!

well my stats are average for GPA and a little above for DAT. i should have a 3.5 or just hovering below a 3.5 when i apply and my DAT is 23/24/19. So I'm more concerned about my GPA hurting me, as far as the UC schools go. But I hope they look at GPA trends because i seriously had a 3.0 after my 2nd year and then flipped a 180 and turned all my B's and C's into A's and A+ and brought it up for the last year and a half. So with those stats, I hope they will atleast take a look at my app. and see that my cum. GPA does not reflect my abilities because there was a huge improvement. my extra curricular includes a handful of dental stuff and some hospital volunteer, frat, TAing, research, martial arts, and the rest is just padding.

I mean...I'm pretty sure I stand a chance, and I don't want to sound like a jerk being worried when my stats are ok, but I just wish I didn't have to worry. I mean if I had a 3.9 right now with that DAT....i would not be worried. I guess its just the anxiety of waiting. my GPA is more or less set in stone give or take a couple of decimal places and my DAT is done. There's nothing left for me to do until June 1. It's killing me!

PS: I'm not looking for praise or assurance (I've seen all those threads that turn into bashing the OP). This is just a genuine concern from a stressed student!

OMG :eek: ...... are you kidding me:confused:

best of luck,
jb!:)

OMG :eek: ...... are you kidding me:confused:

best of luck,
jb!:)

thanks man. like i said, i dont want to sound like a punk posting this thread, but its just that all i see are people with 3.7+ around here getting into these schools. it just makes me worry thats all. :scared:

thanks man. like i said, i dont want to sound like a punk posting this thread, but its just that all i see are people with 3.7+ around here getting into these schools. it just makes me worry thats all. :scared:

you're supposed to be worried...its a challenge, and thats where half of the fun of it is! you think the acceptance would be as meaningful if you felt like you were guarenteed admission to X school? I would think not...

if you want it easy apply to med school or something :p