Stats for SGU Fall 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jensal017

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello and congrats to all the fall 2007 SGU class!
Would any of you out there mind sharing your stats? Thanks so much!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello and congrats to all the fall 2007 SGU class!
Would any of you out there mind sharing your stats? Thanks so much!:)

680+ credit score, any GPA over 3.0, any MCAT over 20 and i guarantee you are in if you apply, if not give me your application and 10 bucks and i guarantee you an acceptance from ANY carib school out there.

680+ credit score, any GPA over 3.0, any MCAT over 20 and i guarantee you are in if you apply, if not give me your application and 10 bucks and i guarantee you an acceptance from ANY carib school out there.

That's funny. You had everything but they still rejected you after an interview.

Thank God that interviews weed out people like you.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.3 MCAT V10 BS 8 PS 8 (26) Biochem major. Good Luck

hey fellow sgu'ers. anyone here going in the aug of 2007? PM Me and let's get to know our classmates

Undergrad GPA 3.97, MCAT 28( 11PS, 7VR, 10 BS). Bio Major

I am on waiting list in 1 school, lets see how it goes.

Undergrad GPA 3.97, MCAT 28( 11PS, 7VR, 10 BS). Bio Major

LOL, I have the same exact MCAT breakdowns as yours, but only 3.7GPA :oops:
See you all down in Grenada for Fall 07.

Not all of us are content with going to your medical school. What was it again? The Upstairs University at St. 16th Street and Main?

Members don't see this ad :)

All of you applying to Foreign medical schools should take note of the above quote, as this will be an ongoing stigma that you will face being a foreign grad...it doesnt mean that you will be an inferior doctor by any means...this is just the common nonsense and pre conceptions that some stuck up US grads have...

You will face this when applying for residency and fellowship...but if you are dedicated then it will all work out in the end...

Just know that there are those people that define themselves by their job ie.. the guy that posted the message above....and it just kills their ego's to know that anyone can become a doctor..... is not hard to do...

all you need is support and time and anyone can become an MD....go to any US Med school in the country (most in the country have average entering age ~26) and ask them what they did prior to medical school...hahaha...

When it comes to applying....some things are obvious...stop worring about the lowest scores you need...and just do your best...

Good luck...

All of you applying to Foreign medical schools should take note of the above quote, as this will be an ongoing stigma that you will face being a foreign grad...it doesnt mean that you will be an inferior doctor by any means...this is just the common nonsense and pre conceptions that some stuck up US grads have...

You will face this when applying for residency and fellowship...but if you are dedicated then it will all work out in the end...

Just know that there are those people that define themselves by their job ie.. the guy that posted the message above....and it just kills their ego's to know that anyone can become a doctor..... is not hard to do...

all you need is support and time and anyone can become an MD....go to any US Med school in the country (most in the country have average entering age ~26) and ask them what they did prior to medical school...hahaha...

When it comes to applying....some things are obvious...stop worring about the lowest scores you need...and just do your best...

Good luck...

Great encouragement!! I hope the rest of you are motivated to study hard as well. Do the best with what God has bestowed upon you and leave the rest to God!! Good luck to all those here in med school or about to start or waiting still to be accepted. Everyone has its place and time.

3.95 Undergrad, 3.75 post-bacc science, 29 MCAT
Waitlisted at 1 school in US
I hope to have a great class and look forward to meeting all of you.
:cool:

3.95 Undergrad, 3.75 post-bacc science, 29 MCAT
Waitlisted at 1 school in US
I hope to have a great class and look forward to meeting all of you.
:cool:

:eek:

All they gave you was a waitlist with these stats? Did someone drop the 2 off your MCAT score at some point?

I was a post-bacc student and my committee letter packet was sent out in November! I'm not bitter (that much), in my old age (26) I have faith that you end up where you are supposed to be.

Hey,

Just have a quick question for some users here:

If your GPA is greater than 3.7, why apply to the Carib. schools? Would it not be better to score a better MCAT and apply to additional North American schools?

Hey,

If your GPA is greater than 3.7, why apply to the Carib. schools? Would it not be better to score a better MCAT and apply to additional North American schools?

Time

Hey,

Personally, for the time it would take to do an SMP or retake the MCAT and reapply, I could be halfway done with medical school and doing rotations in New York with SGU. I'd rather go with SGU and get started on my career.

I can't remember exactly my numbers, I graduated college in 1980 with a degree in art (barely finished as I remember it). Did a post bac in 1999 with a 3.7 or so if I remember correctly. Got a 32 on MCAT. Naively applied to only Columbia, NYU, Weill-Cornell, and Downstate after I spoke to them before even embarking on my post-bac. They all encouraged me, knowing I didn't do that well in my first go-round in college, and acted thrilled that at my age I would be willing to do the hard work it would take. Of course, never even got an interview.

Went to SGU because I had friends that went there over the years who had successful careers. I'm a 3rd year Emergency Medicine resident now, doing exactly what I had set out to do (emerg med that is) when I started this. I'm a success story for the Caribbean, so you see it's quite doable.

I've never been treated in any way second-class by anyone...students from Cornell who I rotated with in NYC, attending physicians, or patients. Anyone who behaves in such a way is only showing their own self contempt and insecurity. Being good at what you do creates confindence. Confidence commnads respect. There are many kids out there in all medical schools who are immature and mistake their being in medical school for intelligence and mistake bravado and narcicism for confidence. You'll see them in your travels...they'll be the ones that the nurses, techs, EMT's, janitors, and cafeteria workers despise, all the while believing they're being percieved as a god.

Excellent post:thumbup:

Nice to see you post again.

I can't remember exactly my numbers, I graduated college in 1980 with a degree in art (barely finished as I remember it). Did a post bac in 1999 with a 3.7 or so if I remember correctly. Got a 32 on MCAT. Naively applied to only Columbia, NYU, Weill-Cornell, and Downstate after I spoke to them before even embarking on my post-bac. They all encouraged me, knowing I didn't do that well in my first go-round in college, and acted thrilled that at my age I would be willing to do the hard work it would take. Of course, never even got an interview.

Went to SGU because I had friends that went there over the years who had successful careers. I'm a 3rd year Emergency Medicine resident now, doing exactly what I had set out to do (emerg med that is) when I started this. I'm a success story for the Caribbean, so you see it's quite doable.

I've never been treated in any way second-class by anyone...students from Cornell who I rotated with in NYC, attending physicians, or patients. Anyone who behaves in such a way is only showing their own self contempt and insecurity. Being good at what you do creates confindence. Confidence commnads respect. There are many kids out there in all medical schools who are immature and mistake their being in medical school for intelligence and mistake bravado and narcicism for confidence. You'll see them in your travels...they'll be the ones that the nurses, techs, EMT's, janitors, and cafeteria workers despise, all the while believing they're being percieved as a god.

I was wondering if I'll get accepted to SGU as long as I don't say anything stupid during the interview. My gpa is 3.7 and my MCAT is 31 (11P-7V-13B).

I was wondering if I'll get accepted to SGU as long as I don't say anything stupid during the interview. My gpa is 3.7 and my MCAT is 31 (11P-7V-13B).

For August 2007? Or January 2008?

i'm waiting for my mcat (june 25th) and i'm applying. is it too late for jan 08 if i apply first week of july? 3.5 gpa, RT for 3+ years, great letters. just waiting waiting for that mcat score.

i'm waiting for my mcat (june 25th) and i'm applying. is it too late for jan 08 if i apply first week of july? 3.5 gpa, RT for 3+ years, great letters. just waiting waiting for that mcat score.

no

As if anyone here would know.

We are still trying to figure out why you didn't make it in the US.

I'm stunned you didn't get accepted into a US school. Did AMCAS accidentally transpose your 31 into a 13?

I'm stunned you didn't get accepted into a US school. Did AMCAS accidentally transpose your 31 into a 13?

You shouldn't bee too stunned. His verbal killed him.

You shouldn't bee too stunned. His verbal killed him.

Her.

I've known a few people that got in with a 7 or an 8 in verbal but it's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Her.

I've known a few people that got in with a 7 or an 8 in verbal but it's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

A 7 or 8 in verbal means that English is a second language, you cannot read at an accepted speed/level or you cannot understand logical concepts. Either way, it is a red flag that will need to be addressed if an interview is granted.

A 7 or 8 in verbal means that English is a second laguage, you cannot read at a accepted speed/level or you cannot understand logical conepts. Either way, it is a red flag that will need to be addressed if an interview is granted.

McGillGrad, for those that want to improve their verbal skills analogous to the MCAT verbal, what would you suggest doing before the USMLE. I have decent skills, but want to vastly improve this area for my own benefit in the future. Suggestions are encouraged. :)

BTW, what was your MCAT verbal if that is okay to ask?

McGillGrad, for those that want to improve their verbal skills analogous to the MCAT verbal, what would you suggest doing before the USMLE. I have decent skills, but want to vastly improve this area for my own benefit in the future. Suggestions are encouraged. :)

BTW, what was your MCAT verbal if that is okay to ask?

Verbal was my best section. I did not get the 14 that I wanted on the MCAT, but I scored a 12. The MCAT is one place where you can present your strengths because everyone takes it for med school.

A 7 or 8 in verbal means that English is a second language, you cannot read at an accepted speed/level or you cannot understand logical concepts. Either way, it is a red flag that will need to be addressed if an interview is granted.

the us med school interviews i went to- they didn't question my verbal score at all, but i tried to address it when they asked the question "if there is anything I would like to talk about my app"

the us med school interviews i went to- they didn't question my verbal score at all, but i tried to address it when they asked the question "if there is anything I would like to talk about my app"

Unless you sent out a "creepy vibe" during the interviews, then it was probably the verbal.

Then again, medical school is one area where Indians and Asians are at a disadvantage because of the high concentration in medical schools (versus general population).

Now if you were a black woman, then you would have no problem.

Unless you sent out a "creepy vibe" during the interviews, then it was probably the verbal.

Then again, medical school is one area where Indians and Asians are at a disadvantage because of the high concentration in medical schools (versus general population).

Now if you were a black woman, then you would have no problem.

when i asked the school who interviewed me in the previous app cycle and waitlisted me and then finally rejected me after classes started about my interview perfomance- she said that my interview was great.

Many of you have some great stats and I am surprised that you didn't get into a US MD program. I, on the other hand, have a terrible MCAT score (25) after several attempts and avg. 3.5 GPA. I was really hoping for SGU for Jan 2008, but now I am worried based on the posts here. I never realized that SGU had gotten so competitive.

Anyone have any opinion on ordering the medical kit that they offer? They state that we won't really need it until year 2, but that it could be handy.