stats? (the math class)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jzyu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
its just recently come to my attention that i might need to take statistics...
does anyone know which schools require it?

also, do i need to tell the schools im applying to that i will be taking stats in the future? or more importantly, how do i tell them that i'll be taking stats in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

That also came to my attention a couple days ago so I went through the MSAR real quick. A few schools may be excluded (ones I didn't list b/c I probably wouldn't go to anyway). Stats is required at-UCI, Texas A&M & Texas Tech.

Yes you have to tell them & they will accept you on the condition that you take it. I would think you just list it under future coursework?

It's also "strongly recommended" at a bunch of other schools-let me know if you want them too b/c I made a list.

That also came to my attention a couple days ago so I went through the MSAR real quick. A few schools may be excluded (ones I didn't list b/c I probably wouldn't go to anyway). Stats is required at-UCI, Texas A&M & Texas Tech.

It's also "strongly recommended" at a bunch of other schools-let me know if you want them too b/c I made a list.

Are those the only 3 schools that require Stats?

I'd like the list of schools that "strongly recommend" stats :thumbup::thumbup:
But if they say that it's strongly recommended, would my AP credit for AP stats mean anything to med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
If i remember correctly ucsd also requires stats or strongly recommends it. Not quite sure.

Are those the only 3 schools that require Stats?

I'd like the list of schools that "strongly recommend" stats :thumbup::thumbup:
But if they say that it's strongly recommended, would my AP credit for AP stats mean anything to med schools?

Yes, according to the MSAR those are the only 3 I saw that required it. Schools that recommend: Loma Linda, UCD, Medical College of Georgia, Feinberg, UMass, UMinn, Duke (biostats will also suffice), Oregon H&S, UPenn & UWisc. I'm not sure about the AP credit, it's probably different for individual schools.

Last edited:
If i remember correctly ucsd also requires stats or strongly recommends it. Not quite sure.

UCSD doesn't require or recommend-however, they do require 2 semesters of college math & recommend calculus. Their website says you can fill this with stats, calc or comp sci.

ok so i guess schools do require stats. So i've already submitted my AMCAS and i didn't list stats as a class im going to take in the future...so is that going to effect me in the application process? Im going to take it, but do i have to tell the schools that require it that im going to take it?
anyone have any ideas?

I am in the same boat as jzyu....I will take it, but not next semester....I plan on taking it in Spring semester.....should I have listed that as a future class or just add that to "additional comments" section of secondaries in the future?

I've taken every single math class possible at both at undergrad and graduate level, But no stats. I have to pay $3500 this summer to satisfy UCI's stat requirement, and I'm on the waiting list ! It's just stupid.

2 questions...does ur guys amcas allow u 2 enter grades form srping 08 yet? mien goes only 2 2006-07?

and does a class labeled as:

PSYC200: Statistical Methods in Psycholgoy count towards ur bcpm? what do u guys think? ive asked this b4 and got mixed replies...

2 questions...does ur guys amcas allow u 2 enter grades form srping 08 yet? mien goes only 2 2006-07?

and does a class labeled as:

PSYC200: Statistical Methods in Psycholgoy count towards ur bcpm? what do u guys think? ive asked this b4 and got mixed replies...

1. Yes - make sure you have the dates of attendance correct in your "Schools Attended" section. You should be able to input grades from this semester.

2. I would consider this BCPM (as long as you did well). However, they may change it to Behavioral Sciences because it was taught under the Psychology department classification.

If the AP stats class shows up on your college transcript it counts as having taken Stats.

I got a 5 on the AP in highschool, so I decided not to waste my time re-taking intro statistics in college. But my school doesn't award anything at all for the Stat AP, not even acknowledgement on the transcript (like they do for Calc)... so what about this situation?

I want to let schools know WHY I very specifically decided against taking a statistics course, but where? It surely isn't going to flow with my PS. Is there an "additional info" to explain stuff like this?