Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbaGump187

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many DO's apply for allopathic residency, and how many of those match?

also does anyone know any similar apply vs acceptance statistics for im subspecialties?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many DO's apply for allopathic residency, and how many of those match?

also does anyone know any similar apply vs acceptance statistics for im subspecialties?

This information is kind of hard to come by as a whole. I think you might need to ask the individual medical school to get some of these statistics. However, the Graduate Medical Education Data Resource Book (2005-2006) might provide some of the statistics you are interested in; however, it costs $. Also, here is a 2004 article from the JAOA that might provide some statistics. I'll see if I can dig up more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is pg. 3 showing all residencies or just AGME programs? I wish there was an easy way to find data showing how many DO's match into specific AGME programs like rads, gas, derm, gen surg, family..etc.

Yeah, nice find, will have to hand onto this. In '05-06 there were 2849 DO graduates, and that'll have gone up a little this past graduating class. And according to this report there were about 1600 active applicants so it looks like just over half of osteopathic graduates applied to an allo residency.

Just to add another link: http://www.aacom.org/data/annualreport/
The 2006 Annual Statistical Report on Osteopathic Medical Education, has a lot of nice stats that are interesting to look at.

Is pg. 3 showing all residencies or just AGME programs? I wish there was an easy way to find data showing how many DO's match into specific AGME programs like rads, gas, derm, gen surg, family..etc.

Probably just AGME since the AOA DO residencies have their own match service.

The report I linked to breaks down DOs going into each specialty, but only for AOA residencies.

It's around 50'ish percent.

As for what percentage match, it totally depends on what specialty the applicant(s) are gunning for. I know for EM, the percentage of DO's who did match this year was around 60. I saw this in the last issue of the JAEM.

Alas! I have found pertinent data tables from the NRMP that correspond to your question. It lists data from 2001-2007. *wipes the sweat from brow* Enjoy. :banana:

Sorry I am a little slow tonight, the charts listing the positions offered, positions ranked/filled are for the AOA programs right? The reason I ask this is that the # of spots seems very low for AMA programs. If so, on pg. 3 where it shows the figures for the different groups (US seniors, Canadian students, osteopaths...etc.), it lists ~2400 applicants for 2007 in the osteopathic group. Of those it has ~1600 as active applicants, does that mean that about ~800 DO graduates went solely with the AMA match? :confused:

Sorry I am a little slow tonight, the charts listing the positions offered, positions ranked/filled are for the AOA programs right? The reason I ask this is that the # of spots seems very low for AMA programs. If so, on pg. 3 where it shows the figures for the different groups (US seniors, Canadian students, osteopaths...etc.), it lists ~2400 applicants for 2007 in the osteopathic group. Of those it has ~1600 as active applicants, does that mean that about ~800 DO graduates went solely with the AMA match? :confused:

All numbers are pertaining to ACGME programs, as it is the NRMP match. In 2007, there were 2,398 osteopathic applicants to the NRMP match, of which there were 1,652 active participants. Of these, 1,136 matched PGY-1, and 516 were unmatched PGY-1. Therefore, 68.77% of active osteopathic participants in the NRMP matched successfully.

No. These are NRMP tables (ACGME match), therefore they are for allopathic residency slots.

The table on page 3 reads that there were about 2400 osteopathic school senior applicants. 606 of these withdrew (or were withdrawn) from the match before match day, another 140 did not file their rank-list before the deadline. Of the ~2400 total applicants, ~1600 filled out their rank-lists and were eligible for the NRMP match when it came around in march.

Of those 1600 or so, 69% matched successfully, and the other 31% went unmatched. This table does not list whether any were successful in the scramble or not.

So, assuming there are around 3000 graduating osteopathic seniors (give or take) a year, over 50% participated in the NRMP and were eligible for the match when it came around and over 2/3 of all Osteopathic graduates were involved in the NRMP at one point or another.

jd

it looks like spicedmanna and I were thinking the same things... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
All numbers are pertaining to ACGME programs, as it is the NRMP match.

I still can't make sense of this since there are ~97 ACGME neurosurgery programs with about 142 spots (depending on the year). From the data in the link it only shows 17-43 spots (pg. 2,4,5) with 10 programs (pg. 6 and 7). This data goes a long with the AOA inwhich there are currently 10-11 AOA NS residencies. The same can be said for Dermatology in which there are ~113 ACGME programs and there are about 19 AOA programs. The charts on page 6/7 list 14 programs. I really think this data is for AOA programs guys.

I still can't make sense of this since there are ~95 ACGME neurosurgery programs with about 142 spots (depending on the year). From the data in the link it only shows 17-43 spots (pg. 2,4,5) with 10 programs (pg. 6 and 7). This data goes a long with the AOA inwhich there are currently 10-11 AOA NS residencies. The same can be said for Dermatology in which there are ~113 ACGME programs and there are about 19 AOA programs. The charts on page 6/7 list 14 programs. I really think this data is for AOA programs guys.

No, they are ACGME programs and data that are listed in those tables. This AAMC presentation should clear things up.

All numbers are pertaining to ACGME programs, as it is the NRMP match. In 2007, there were 2,398 osteopathic applicants to the NRMP match, of which there were 1,652 active participants. Of these, 1,136 matched PGY-1, and 516 were unmatched PGY-1. Therefore, 68.77% of active osteopathic participants in the NRMP matched successfully.

Thanks for the explanation spice.

I still can't make sense of this since there are ~95 ACGME neurosurgery programs with about 142 spots (depending on the year). From the data in the link it only shows 17-43 spots (pg. 2,4,5) with 10 programs (pg. 6 and 7). This data goes a long with the AOA inwhich there are currently 10-11 AOA NS residencies. The same can be said for Dermatology in which there are ~113 ACGME programs and there are about 19 AOA programs. The charts on page 6/7 list 14 programs. I really think this data is for AOA programs guys.

nope, definitely for ACGME programs - I don't know anything about NS or derm, but the EM stats definitely stand up - 128 programs with about 1300 spots... and a 99.5% fill rate this year. Tough year.

jd

No, they are ACGME programs and data that are listed in those tables. This AAMC presentation should clear things up.

I will have to take a look at that tonight/tomorrow. Spice, don't you think the #'s given are kinda low. I mean just do a search on the ACGME site I gave and you will come up with a lot more than just 14 derm programs.

dammit spiced.. we must be sharing a half a brain or something :)

nope, definitely for ACGME programs - I don't know anything about NS or derm, but the EM stats definitely stand up - 128 programs with about 1300 spots... and a 99.5% fill rate this year. Tough year.

jd

I came up with 140 just now on http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/ I just picked Derm and NS since they both had really low numbers from what I know.

Spice, don't you think the #'s given are kinda low. I mean just do a search on the ACGME site I gave and you will come up with a lot more than just 14 derm programs.

Honestly, I don't know enough about the NRMP match to say. However, I know there is something called the FREIDA online search and ERAS, which might help.

I just looked at neurology programs on the ACGME website and they have 122 accredited programs. However this list is only showing 42. However peds seems right on, as well as path. Anesthesiology is also really low with 75 programs when there are really 131.

Maybe the reason the numbers aren't matching up is the way some residencies are structured inwhich you might do a preliminary year before you match into your specialty?

I just looked at neurology programs on the ACGME website and they have 122 accredited programs. However this list is only showing 42. However peds seems right on, as well as path. Anesthesiology is also really low with 75 programs when there are really 131.

I don't know the answer to your question just yet. However, I think these tables might be only including programs that participate in both NRMP and ERAS. I don't know what other factors might be considered. More research would be required.

Maybe the reason the numbers aren't matching up is the way some residencies are structured inwhich you might do a preliminary year before you match into your specialty?

That could be another factor. Again, I'm not sure.