Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to these boards, and I have a question regarding my stats. I did a search and did not see any threads about stats for pre-vets, but here is mine. What do you think my honest chances are of getting into Vet school somewhere in the US:

Male
Resident of Wisconsin
Undergraduate degree in Medical Technology
GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.1-3.2
GRE: 1100
2 years (greater than 1500 hours) experience in both large animal and small animal veterinary medicine
Good LOR from both large animal dairy vet and a small animal vet

Members don't see this ad.

What was your breakdown for your GRE?

Also kinda depends on what schools you are looking at, unless you'll go anywhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously Madison is the school I am hoping to get into. Any other US school I can get into would be awesome. I am also open to carribbean vet school if needed. My GRE breakdown is as follows:

610 Quantatative
490 verbal

These sorts of things are really hard to tell... but i think that your relatively low science GPA and low GREs will mean that you really have to get a whole variety of indepth, fabulous animal/vet experiences. If you need to beef up your science/intellectual points, could you spare any time to start working as a research tech?

I'd bet you have a good chance at the caribbean schools, especially with 2 years of experience behind you. You should know, though, that though they're lenient about letting people in, they are really quite tough academically, or so I've heard.

Obviously Madison is the school I am hoping to get into. Any other US school I can get into would be awesome. I am also open to carribbean vet school if needed. My GRE breakdown is as follows:

610 Quantatative
490 verbal

Those are pretty low GRE scores, I'd recommend retaking the GRE.

Thanks for the advice, and I am planning on retaking the GRE. Also with my science GPA, I am only counting that GPA as the "prereqs" required for admission to most Vet schools (Genetics, General Chemistries, Biology, Ochem, Biochemistry, etc) If I count all the TRUE science courses I have taken throughout my undergrad (Clinical Immunology, Microbiology, medical Microbiology, CLinical Chemistry, etc) my science GPA is closer to 3.4 What does the science GPA actually entail?

Thanks for the advice, and I am planning on retaking the GRE. Also with my science GPA, I am only counting that GPA as the "prereqs" required for admission to most Vet schools (Genetics, General Chemistries, Biology, Ochem, Biochemistry, etc) If I count all the TRUE science courses I have taken throughout my undergrad (Clinical Immunology, Microbiology, medical Microbiology, CLinical Chemistry, etc) my science GPA is closer to 3.4 What does the science GPA actually entail?

Normally they count every science course. Illinois counted everything - including the random math courses I took - but, for some reason, did not count research. It's a shame, too, because I got As in research and not in the maths... whoops!

You need to boost your GPA and your GRE scores. If possible, i would enroll in some upper level sciences courses and blow them out of the water.

Science GPA typically includes all math/science courses except research and special topics courses. At some schools you can petition for your research grades to count. 3.4 sounds reasonable, just retake the GRE (I'd say aim for at least 550-600V and 700-750Q) and make sure you get excellent experience/recommendations, write a great essay, and do well in the interview. Don't count on getting into schools that look heavily at your grades and don't interview (ex. Cornell and CSU), but I think you have a shot at a lot of other schools. I don't think there's a need to take any more upper-level science classes if you've already graduated.

I'd recommend retaking your GRE. Since you're interested in Madison, they'll make you calculate the required coursework GPA (includes bio, physics, some humanties, and writing classes). They also look at the last 30? 60? credits.

I got into Madison with...
3.2 overall GPA (mostly low due to my early college career; FAR better GPA for the last 60 credits)
3.1 required coursework GPA
1430 GRE

This is just to say that a low GPA won't put you out of the running.

OT... Habibti, shouldn't you be studying for our Histo final :laugh: Can't wait for it to be over!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. With your science GPA you'll need 700+ on the Q

No offense, but this is the kind of post that drives me crazy. How on earth do you know this magical fact? Its one thing to say that, with deficiencies in some areas of a person's application, he or she really needs to make up for it by being outstanding in other areas. But will getting over 700 on the quantitative section of the GREs put this person over the top? I don't know, and neither do you. We're not soothsayers or adcom members. We're just people who are going through/have been through this process.

Sorry but this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Agree VAgirl. That post kind of got me freaked out with my 500 V 560 Q GRE scores. I know they aren't great, but with the average of most of the schools I applied to around 1150 I wasn't freaking out about them saying I need a 700 +Q to sleep at night.

Agree VAgirl. That post kind of got me freaked out with my 500 V 560 Q GRE scores. I know they aren't great, but with the average of most of the schools I applied to around 1150 I wasn't freaking out about them saying I need a 700 +Q to sleep at night.

Nobody's saying you need that to get in. They're saying that with a lower GPA you will probably need an above average GRE to make the first cut. Your scores and his scores are decidedly NOT above average on the GRE.

Nobody's saying you need that to get in. They're saying that with a lower GPA you will probably need an above average GRE to make the first cut. Your scores and his scores are decidedly NOT above average on the GRE.

Actually, I think people very often do say that you need XYZ to get in/get an interview, etc. (In fact, cyrille's exact words were "With your science GPA you'll need 700+ on the Q." Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what he meant by "need" but I'd say my interpretation of "need" is fair.) And I just think it's silly to state things authoritatively, as none of us really know what will allow any individual to gain admission.

Advice (i.e. "you'd do well to improve this or that") is one thing. Proclamations (i.e. "it will take XYZ to have a shot") are a whole other ball of wax. And in my opinion, these need to be taken with an enormous hunk of salt.

Also I think I need to clarify something else in regards to my GPA. It took me 5 years to get my undergrad (just graduated last may) because I ran cross country and track on scholarship for my university, making it almost impossible to fit in all my classes in 4 years. Also because of the amount of time I had to spend training and traveling to meets almost every weekend, I only maintained a 3.2 overall GPA for my first 3 years. My last two years, which was when I decided I wanted to go onto professional school (wasnt sure at the time between human medicine, vet med, or PA school) I gave up running to focus on school. I maintained a 3.8 average my last two years, all in advanced level science courses, to average my overall GPA to 3.58 or around there. Will they look at my last two years as well as the fact I was a student athlete for the other three?

Also I think I need to clarify something else in regards to my GPA. It took me 5 years to get my undergrad (just graduated last may) because I ran cross country and track on scholarship for my university, making it almost impossible to fit in all my classes in 4 years. Also because of the amount of time I had to spend training and traveling to meets almost every weekend, I only maintained a 3.2 overall GPA for my first 3 years. My last two years, which was when I decided I wanted to go onto professional school (wasnt sure at the time between human medicine, vet med, or PA school) I gave up running to focus on school. I maintained a 3.8 average my last two years, all in advanced level science courses, to average my overall GPA to 3.58 or around there. Will they look at my last two years as well as the fact I was a student athlete for the other three?

A lot of schools have you calculate your GPA several different ways (some of these different ways include a last 30 or 45 credit hours GPA, science GPA, pre-req GPA, overall GPA to include all college-level or grad courses taken). So one would assume that they do take those types of things into account. Also, you could use your personal statement or the explanation space on your VMCAS application to explain the grade situation.

That said, it's anyone's guess how they'll factor it in. But don't let it stop you from applying, certainly!

Just to empathize... I am currently a student athlete at a D1 school (well, just finished my senior season about a month ago) and it takes a ton of time! I tried to really portray this in my application without sounding like I was a "dumb jock" and only passionate about my sport. I think it is just important to reallly emphasize how many hours it takes to be a student athlete. I think they understand. I'm hoping it helps :) but we'll see soon!

Good luck!

Just to empathize... I am currently a student athlete at a D1 school (well, just finished my senior season about a month ago) and it takes a ton of time! I tried to really portray this in my application without sounding like I was a "dumb jock" and only passionate about my sport. I think it is just important to reallly emphasize how many hours it takes to be a student athlete. I think they understand. I'm hoping it helps :) but we'll see soon!

Being a D1 student athlete is what screwed up my first two years of school and made me have to dig myself out of a hole, but I wouldn't give up playing hockey for anything. :)

I talked about hockey in my personal statement actually...

Good luck!

D1 athlete for two years before I faced the fact that if I wanted to get vet experience I would have to quit the team. 5:30am practices coupled with 22 hours of class per week and all day Saturday events do not mesh well with any sort of vet experience.

Finding the time to get the experience and work was hard, let me assure you. All I had were the summers since I couldn't work during the school year. To make matters worse, we started 3-a-days at the beginning of August, so that gave me about 2.5 months a year to work. I ended up working about 50-60 hours a week (2 different jobs) the last two summers and 30 hours a week the summer before that. I ended up with about 1200 hours or so between research, zoo hospital, and SA... not as much as I wanted, but hopefully enough...

I wouldn't have changed playing all 4 years for anything, I learned so much about myself through it and loved minute of it, conditioning, major shoulder surgery, and 3-a-days included! :)

Banditalfi... what sport???

Rowing. It had gotten to be too much... practice 5:30-8 every day, lift Tuesday/Thursday, regattas on Saturdays, three labs a week... It was hard enough without trying to work a job until midnight. Plus I was just OK - I wasn't bad, but I wasn't spectacular.

edit: aaaah threeadays! they weren't bad when we were on the water, but when we were on land it was horrible. that was another thing. i hated land practices.

hahaha I'm just happy I played an indoor sport, I wouldn't have been able to handle 3-a-days outside! :)

We have a good collection of athletes here, I'm suprised!

Actually, I think people very often do say that you need XYZ to get in/get an interview, etc. (In fact, cyrille's exact words were "With your science GPA you'll need 700+ on the Q." Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what he meant by "need" but I'd say my interpretation of "need" is fair.) And I just think it's silly to state things authoritatively, as none of us really know what will allow any individual to gain admission.

Advice (i.e. "you'd do well to improve this or that") is one thing. Proclamations (i.e. "it will take XYZ to have a shot") are a whole other ball of wax. And in my opinion, these need to be taken with an enormous hunk of salt.

I think its fair to say that with a lower GPA you'll be needing a areas of you application to compensate for it... and when it comes to the numbers part of the application, the only part you can compensate is in your GRE scores.

I dont think his post was that far off base.

Hi, I am new to these boards, and I have a question regarding my stats. I did a search and did not see any threads about stats for pre-vets, but here is mine. What do you think my honest chances are of getting into Vet school somewhere in the US:

Male
Resident of Wisconsin
Undergraduate degree in Medical Technology
GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.1-3.2
GRE: 1100
2 years (greater than 1500 hours) experience in both large animal and small animal veterinary medicine
Good LOR from both large animal dairy vet and a small animal vet

Admissions stats vary from school to school. For example, Cornell has an average GPA=3.70, GRE=1350/1600 from Class of 2003 -- taken from Cornell's website. Down at SGU in the caribbean their average GPA is 3.0 -- taken from their website.

Find out where YOU want to go, and research the entering class statistics. They usually have the statistical profile of their entering classes. If your numbers seem to match with their entering students, you're probably somewhere in the ballpark of being a potentially competitive applicant.

Apply and see. If you are rejected, some schools will offer a review of your file. An admissions officer will review your file with you and explain why you weren't chosen and how you can fix it.

If vet admissions were based on just stats alone, there wouldn't be interviews to screen people. Good stats can help, but they're not the whole story either.

Oh my god, get over it.

I hope you have a 3.9+ to make up for that. :laugh:

Oh my god, get over it.

Get over what? I think it's more important to encourage people and let them see what they might accomplish rather than to tell them they're not good enough and never see them try. 95% of the world will tell a person to give up. I'd rather be on the other side of things. If that's what you'd like me to get over, I'd rather not, thanks.

Get over what? I think it's more important to encourage people and let them see what they might accomplish rather than to tell them they're not good enough and never see them try. 95% of the world will tell a person to give up. I'd rather be on the other side of things. If that's what you'd like me to get over, I'd rather not, thanks.

Uh...what are you talking about?

are you saying cory's in that 95% stat? cause i thought he told him to try again and boost the grade.

moot point, the OP said he was planning on retaking the GRE. (fwiw, i agree... you should boost those scores. 700 is a good goal, higher would be even better; aim high right)

again, to the OP: i also agree with what someone else said about picking the schools you'd like to go for, and get the grades and experiences necessary to apply. good luck :)

are you saying cory's in that 95% stat? cause i thought he told him to try again and boost the grade.

And I thought he told the OP that he/she would need to get above 700. I just hate it when people proclaim you need X GPA or Y GRE score to get in. It can be a discouraging statement making people who don't meet that mark feel like they haven't got a shot. It wasn't a specific beef with him, just with anyone who takes that stance. There are numerous people currently in vet school who prove that there is no one formula of stats to gain admission. And I'm done belaboring the point.

It seems to me that is the type of response that the OP was looking for. It isn't helpful saying (and you certainly wouldn't here an adcomm say at a post-rejection consult) that you don't need a competitive GPA/GRE. The GRE is the easiest/quickest fix of the application, and the OP would have a better shot if he/she raised his GRE. Cyrille never said that he definitely wouldn't get in, but the OP asked for advice, and now he's getting it.

I just hate it when people proclaim you need X GPA or Y GRE score to get in.

Well....X GPA or Y GRE is the first cutt off point for pretty much all schools...