Stay as undergrad OR graduate & do postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this spring with a B.S. in Biology. Cum gpa should be 2.90 & BCPM gpa about 2.59 if everything works out by graduation. My past grades have been spotty (espcially those first 2 years :scared: ). I've only started showing real improvement during the summer and I expect the fall and spring (my SR year gpa should be @ close to 4.0)

Should I graduate this spring and do some postbac work as a non-degree seeking graduate @ a university like my alma mater? Or should I continue for another year as an undergrad. My whole goal is to raise GPA and BCPM gpa of course.

What I want to do is go into an SMP or any degree/certificate awarding postbac work. But I need to raise GPA in order to get into those kinds of programs. I also haven't taken the MCAT yet.

What should I do? Any advice guys?

Members don't see this ad.

ceed said:
I'm graduating this spring with a B.S. in Biology. Cum gpa should be 2.90 & BCPM gpa about 2.59 if everything works out by graduation. My past grades have been spotty (espcially those first 2 years :scared: ). I've only started showing real improvement during the summer and I expect the fall and spring (my SR year gpa should be @ close to 4.0)

Should I graduate this spring and do some postbac work as a non-degree seeking graduate @ a university like my alma mater? Or should I continue for another year as an undergrad. My whole goal is to raise GPA and BCPM gpa of course.

What I want to do is go into an SMP or any degree/certificate awarding postbac work. But I need to raise GPA in order to get into those kinds of programs. I also haven't taken the MCAT yet.

What should I do? Any advice guys?

I'd say it depends a lot on your financial situation.

If you're getting any kind of financial aid at all, you should be able to carry it over for a 5th year. Plus since you're still an undergrad, you get the benefit of any undergrad programs or thesis options that you may not get as an ad-hoc student.

BUT, if your school is expensive, you can save a lot of $$ by taking classes on your own somewhere else. If that's your situation, look into it.

OR, if you take the MCAT and do really well, you may be able to get into an SMP program outright.

My two cents...