Stay at home mom needs help with schedule

Started by budhia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

budhia

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I am a stay at home mom about to start school in a few days. Please advice whether this schedule seems OK?

chem 1 + lab
org chem 1 + lab
eng 1
cultural anthropology

I will not have a job. I will still be responsible for the kids when they are not in preschool/daycare. DH is not much help (very demanding job).

Any advice on schedule, courses, study strategy, tip to balance any useful advice welcome
 
Might want to check your pre-requisites. Chem II is a co-requisite for Org I at my school.
 
budhia said:
Hi All,

I am a stay at home mom about to start school in a few days. Please advice whether this schedule seems OK?

chem 1 + lab
org chem 1 + lab
eng 1
cultural anthropology

I will not have a job. I will still be responsible for the kids when they are not in preschool/daycare. DH is not much help (very demanding job).

Any advice on schedule, courses, study strategy, tip to balance any useful advice welcome

Hi there,
Study requirements for each hour spent in class is two hours of significant study time outside of class for the equivalent of the academic semester. For each hour of lab, there is two hours of study time outside of class therefore, add up the number of hours that you spend in lab and lecture then multiply by two and then see how much study time you need for the schedule. Compare this with the amount of time that you will have and adjust accordingly.

You not only need to get excellent grades in your coursework but you need to be able to understand and apply the knowledge from your pre-med pre-reqs to the questions that are asked on the MCAT.

Good luck,
njbmd 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
budhia said:
Hi All,

I am a stay at home mom about to start school in a few days. Please advice whether this schedule seems OK?

chem 1 + lab
org chem 1 + lab
eng 1
cultural anthropology

I will not have a job. I will still be responsible for the kids when they are not in preschool/daycare. DH is not much help (very demanding job).

Any advice on schedule, courses, study strategy, tip to balance any useful advice welcome

Don't you need to do take a year of freshmen chemistry before doing orgo? You may want to check to make sure you can handle the orgo class since you dont' seem to have taken the freshmen chem class yet. How long are your kids in daycare? You courseload is not heavy but since you are solely responsible for your kids, you may want to drop orgo if it becomes too heavy. Orgo is an important class, don't rush through it.
 
I know what you have coming up.

I took gen chem I with statistics, geography, and a combined (two semesters in one) english course when I had three kids under the age of seven. I took gen chem II and phys I (online)the semester after that. What you are planning to do will be stressful, but if you plan out and stick to a study schedule it's possible. I'm not saying a sit down schedule, because I know there is no time for that. I'm talking about, reading while you eat, taking a book or notes to the doctor's office so you can get some time in while your in the waiting room, etc.
I would not recommend taking the two chemistry classes in the same semester. The information from gen chem I & II is used all through orgo. You need to have a thorough understanding of gen chem before you start orgo. This schedule has set you up to fail. Please consider another pre-req course. Have you gotten your math out of the way?
 
budhia said:
I will still be responsible for the kids when they are not in preschool/daycare. DH is not much help (very demanding job).

Hi,

Will you be able to make it to every class and lab? It sounds like maybe you should have a relative or friend or neighborhood babysitter ready to provide backup daycare when needed?

I haven't taken it, but many people I know who got A's in general chem struggled to get B's in organic. Even if the school will let you take both, don't do it. See if you can get into a biology course relevant to MCAT material instead. Take organic after you've taken all general chem.
 
Thanks all!

I got permission from O Chem prof to take O chem even though I haven't completed G.Chem because I have a minor in Chem (I took 3 years chemistry) as an undergrad (although awhile back in a foreign country).

here is my plan;
I need to take gchem , ochem, eng & 6 humanities to complete all prereqs so I thought -I can just be full-time student and part-time mom and finish in a year rather than drag coursework out over 2 years (my school does not offer ochem 1 in summer and ochem 11 in fall)
-so next summer 07 it will be full-time MCAT---I would have finish all prereqs
-next fall 07 and spring08 will be study/take MCAT, clinical stuff/application

if this courseload is absolutely death I am inclined to postpone taking anthropology and eng

thoughts, comments, advice are most welcome.


Regarding kids: 4 year old in school 2 full days (8-6) and 3 half day (8-12noon); the almost 2 year old is covered 5 days (6:30-6:30). At home they are pretty good entertaining themselves if there is no ban on DVD and electronic gadgets. I also have a nursing student who is willing to watch them for $10/hour and daycare for the 4 year old after school for $60/day so I guess exam time I can spend a few extra bucks

thanks
 
Just try to get most (if not all) of your studying done while the kids are away. My almsot 3 year old is really good at entertaining herself, but she still constantly needs help with things (getting a snack, using the potty, etc.)

Good luck! That's a big courseload. I'm taking three classes this coming semester and I stay at home with my 1 year old and almost 3 year old. Should be interesting. 😉 Last time I was in class, it was just two classes and I only had one kid! :laugh:
 
budhia said:
Thanks all!

I got permission from O Chem prof to take O chem even though I haven't completed G.Chem because I have a minor in Chem (I took 3 years chemistry) as an undergrad (although awhile back in a foreign country).

here is my plan;
I need to take gchem , ochem, eng & 6 humanities to complete all prereqs so I thought -I can just be full-time student and part-time mom and finish in a year rather than drag coursework out over 2 years (my school does not offer ochem 1 in summer and ochem 11 in fall)
-so next summer 07 it will be full-time MCAT---I would have finish all prereqs
-next fall 07 and spring08 will be study/take MCAT, clinical stuff/application

if this courseload is absolutely death I am inclined to postpone taking anthropology and eng

thoughts, comments, advice are most welcome.


Regarding kids: 4 year old in school 2 full days (8-6) and 3 half day (8-12noon); the almost 2 year old is covered 5 days (6:30-6:30). At home they are pretty good entertaining themselves if there is no ban on DVD and electronic gadgets. I also have a nursing student who is willing to watch them for $10/hour and daycare for the 4 year old after school for $60/day so I guess exam time I can spend a few extra bucks

thanks
If you need to take english and anthro, I'd suggest mixing it with your science classes rather than doing your science classes together. This way, it allows your brain to 'rest' while making it easier on your courseload (and it won't hurt the GPA either!). However, you were a chem minor so that combined chem load may just be review. If that is the case, then yeah, go ahead of try it. Just remember to withdraw when you can if you think the load is too much. The worst thing that can happen is to ruin your GPA which is PIVATOL to getting into med school. I know nontrads, because they get to pick their classes, can tend to cram everything together, but I think that can make the situation worse. Once you get a bad grade, especially in pre-reqs, it can take much more money and time to make up for those mistakes.
 
oxeye said:
Just try to get most (if not all) of your studying done while the kids are away. My almsot 3 year old is really good at entertaining herself, but she still constantly needs help with things (getting a snack, using the potty, etc.)

Good luck! That's a big courseload. I'm taking three classes this coming semester and I stay at home with my 1 year old and almost 3 year old. Should be interesting. 😉 Last time I was in class, it was just two classes and I only had one kid! :laugh:


Thanks what classes are you taking? How are you paying for these classes? I couldn't get financial aif because I am not degree student.

Mine rarely needs help I keep feedings on a somewhat strict schedule. One kid is completely toilet trained and the other is in diaper. I probably will need to set up a study space for them near mine they will most likely be needing to study when I am studying. I guess on my breaks I'll change diaper and play with them.

Good luck!
 
oxeye said:
Just try to get most (if not all) of your studying done while the kids are away. My almsot 3 year old is really good at entertaining herself, but she still constantly needs help with things (getting a snack, using the potty, etc.)

Good luck! That's a big courseload. I'm taking three classes this coming semester and I stay at home with my 1 year old and almost 3 year old. Should be interesting. 😉 Last time I was in class, it was just two classes and I only had one kid! :laugh:


your daughter (she's the little one in the picture?) is adorable 😍
 
budhia said:
Thanks what classes are you taking? How are you paying for these classes? I couldn't get financial aif because I am not degree student.

Mine rarely needs help I keep feedings on a somewhat strict schedule. One kid is completely toilet trained and the other is in diaper. I probably will need to set up a study space for them near mine they will most likely be needing to study when I am studying. I guess on my breaks I'll change diaper and play with them.

Good luck!
I'm paying for it out of pocket. It sucks, but we knew it was coming so we put aside a little (okay, more than a little) money each month for school stuff.

I'm taking abnormal psychology, o. chem lab (finished the year sequence already but couldn't take the lab because I was pregnant), and an online medical terminology class. I don't really need the online class for med school stuff, but I needed a 1 unit class to get to 6 units to keep my kids on the waiting list for on-campus child care and I figured it was relevant at least!
 
oxeye said:
I'm paying for it out of pocket. It sucks, but we knew it was coming so we put aside a little (okay, more than a little) money each month for school stuff.

I'm taking abnormal psychology, o. chem lab (finished the year sequence already but couldn't take the lab because I was pregnant), and an online medical terminology class. I don't really need the online class for med school stuff, but I needed a 1 unit class to get to 6 units to keep my kids on the waiting list for on-campus child care and I figured it was relevant at least!


i was pregnant for ochem lab too! there was another pregoo so the instructor just kept sending us to sit out in the hall. i never did make up those labs... my whole chem lab knew i was pregnant before i even had a chance to tell my mom :laugh: good times....
 
I was also prego (with my #2) while orgo lab2, fortunatelly the professor was super nice and let me do written reports with a class mate's lab information, so I never had to go in! Now prego #3 but no labs, only that darn MCAT!!!

I have both kids (almost 3y/o and 4 1/2yo) in daycare 3x week (9-4), which gives me a full week of studying + 2 days off (needed to clean up after all your kids including the addult one :laugh: )

As far as your class schedule if there is one thing I have learned: DO NOT rush!!!! or become a p/t mom, once a mom always a mom. Take your time and get top scores! I was told to take 1 or 2 classes at a time, some might think its not a full load, but you are a mom and that is a full load + overtime! and adcoms do see that. So if you can handle being a wife, mom and student and still get A's...why not take your time. So be very carefull, with how many classes you take and which classes you take together, if you slip it is very hard to bring up a messed up gpa...trust me I should know. I killed my u/g gpa doing exactly what you are thinking about...rush to get there faster. Only I came out hurting, and them had to spend more time doing it the right way with grad courses.

Good luck and let us know what you decided.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you all very much! Special THANKS to all to Moms.

I WILL NOT BE A P/T MOM
you're absolutely right ONCE A MOM ALWAYS A MOM! Tomorrow is registration...we'll see. I'll sleep on all these advices and try to let good sense prevail.

Thanks again!
 
So I signed up for
G Chem + lab (5hr)
O Chem + lab (5hr)

I can't get into an freshman eng....all classes are closed at my school.

Anyhow, I know I will be BUSY with these two chemistry

Should I try to tack on one humanities class or NOT

what would you add?
a) intro. to fine arts --drama
b) intro to sociology
c) NO MORE


b
 
if i had to add something i would add a course i would enjoy and know would not be a challenge for me.
honestly though...chemitry labs are a ton of work i don't know if i would add another intensive study class.
 
budhia said:
So I signed up for
G Chem + lab (5hr)
O Chem + lab (5hr)

I can't get into an freshman eng....all classes are closed at my school.

Anyhow, I know I will be BUSY with these two chemistry

Should I try to tack on one humanities class or NOT

what would you add?
a) intro. to fine arts --drama
b) intro to sociology
c) NO MORE


b

a) fine arts sounds really good, especially with chem and organic! Sociology...a ton of reading, therefore time taken away from the precious chem classes you really need to ace!
 
Fall of 2001 I took PHY 1w/lab, BIO 2w/lab, and O Chem 1w/lab at a CC. Four weeks into the semester I had my 4th child (5,4, and 1.5 yrs). I managed to get 2A's and 1B. It required alot of juggling, nursing the baby @ the table while doing PHY homework, saving baby birds which had fellen from a nest in the backyard,(at that moment I didn't care if they lived or died :meanie: but the kids were very concerned:idea: ) hours before a huge O Chem test. Granted the house was a disaster and dinners were Mac&cheese, but we lived! I think anything is possible, just remember to fight the battles you can win and let the rest go!
Good Luck
 
Hi All,

Last semester I asked advice about schedule and received lots of good advice. I went ahead and did Oghem and GChem both with labs and Sociology. I gots As on Soc and GChem and A- on OChem.

I thought that was not too bad so this semester I signed up for GChem, OChem and Physiology all three with labs. I am keeping up with GChem and OChem but Physiology is turning into a nightmare. In my opinion it is Physiology, Histology and Anatomy except the recommended text is not for all three. I have not taken Histology and Anatomy before. Though I am confident I can learn this material, it is requiring alot of time. I have 2 kids 2 and 4. I do not need this class my biology requirements are met (I have a BS and MS in Biology). I was just taking this class so I can get a letter.

Should I drop and get a W or should I risk get B or C at this point?

Please advice
 
if it makes you feel any better, i have 3 kids who are 2.5, 4, and 7 and i go to school full time. my kids are in daycare/preschool/school all day. my husband is a HUGE help when he's home, but he's active duty navy so i spend a lot of time being a single parent. those are the really difficult times. i've done all my general stuff, so all i have left is lab classes. i'll be doing 3 lab classes every semester until i finish. it's doable, but tough.