stay with student host or ex-girlfriend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay okay, i know what you guys may be thinking. but i went out with this girl in high school, had a really great relationship. we've been on super friendly terms since, but i haven't seen her in 4 years. im interviewing across the country at her school in two weeks and was wondering if i should stay with her (she offered to put me up) or with a student host. at least with her, i know im getting a really great evening, but i am wondering maybe i would be better prepared for my interview and get a better impression of the school if i stay with a host. anyone have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should stay with your ex, catch up on old times, see what happens :D . I don't think it will hurt your interview prep at all ;) . But seriously, just make sure you chat with some students when you are at the interview to get a good feel for the school. Good luck.

haha, MY girlfriend wants to know if YOU have a girlfriend.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not there to have a good time with your ex but to be rested and prepared for the interview. After the the interview, then you can do whatever you prefer. Unless, of course, being admitted to medical school is second in priority to having a good time and THAT is the real reason you are going to the interview.

HEY IT'S GOWER!!!

i didn't mean anything loaded by "have a good time." i dont plan on partying or engaging in any wild behavior with my ex (she has a boyfriend). what i mean is that with her, i know what im getting into. im getting a futon, a good nights rest, a ride to and from the airport, someone to hang out with during the 6 hours after my interview and before my plane home, and a super conversation about old times and people we know. it will be a nice opportunity to catch up. also, im a super super picky sleeper. with the student hosts, i dont know if they're gonna throw me a sleeping bag, a few sheets, or what. with my ex- i know that i will get a good night's sleep on a giant futon. my only point was do you think i would be better prepared for my interview from staying with a med student?

i just arranged to stay with my ex-. i figured that if i needed a better impression of the school, i would get it during revisit weekend (if god-willing i got in). it's just a lot more convenient and comfortable to stay with someone you know. besides, i would really like to see her.

thanks for the advice everyone.
hey oneironaut, tell your girlfriend im free (but working on it)!

Revisit Weekend?

Is there such a thing? I assume you could go to such a thing if you get accepted. Do all schools have them? When are they, etc., etc.

Thanks (there are many things I do not know about this process, it seems to be getting longer and more complex, etc.)

As long as you don't land up in some deep conversation about the good ol' days of the relationship and land up having intense emotional flashbacks, I'd say it's a good idea. You don't need any stuff messing with your focus.

Regrettably, her having a BF doesn't really ensure that everything is secure. If she or you still have feelings, stuff can happen. Cases in point. 1. Former-former girlfriend, after the break-up never see her ever: Lost a good friend, but no emotional pain from dealing w/her. 2. Former girlfriend, after the break-up see her all the time: Kept a good friend, but lots of what-ifs and her crying a lot, which sucks.

Sounds like you have thought about the pros and cons for yourself though, so knock 'em dead at your interview!!

Go an extra day early...spend the night with your ex..catch up..have fun....and then stay with a student host on the next day. I've found that student hosts really helped to prepare me for interviews. They know what the strong and weak points of the school are, and they know some of the interviewers.