Staying excited about specific programs given the odds against you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viralhiker

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you all deal with getting your hopes up about specific programs given the odds against any individual applicant? I keep having this thought when looking through the schools' websites. For example, I've just spent the last hour or so reading about Emory's curriculum and reviews from students, and this school seems to fit my interests in medicine perfectly. And then I go check out the statistics, and see that less than 5% of completed applicants get offered admission. Pretty demoralizing stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't spend an hour reading the curriculum of a school you probably won't get into. It's OK to have a dream school, but in the end basically any medical school will give you the tools you need to excel.

Reactions: 1 user
Your goal is to get into medical school, not a specific medical school. No matter where you go, you're going to come out a doctor. This process is extremely selective, and getting in anywhere is a huge accomplishment.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you all deal with getting your hopes up about specific programs given the odds against any individual applicant? I keep having this thought when looking through the schools' websites. For example, I've just spent the last hour or so reading about Emory's curriculum and reviews from students, and this school seems to fit my interests in medicine perfectly. And then I go check out the statistics, and see that less than 5% of completed applicants get offered admission. Pretty demoralizing stuff.

That's like any medical school

Reactions: 3 users
1) You accept the fact that you might not ever be doctor
2) As such, you be realistic and always have a Plan B
3) Yes, something like 1-5% of all applicants get into any particular schools. BUT, some 40% get into a school, period.
4) Be realistic that among your school list, Drexel might be the only school you get accept into, and not Emory, Rush or Harvard.
5) In light of 4) that path will still make you a doctor.
6) Be one of the 1-5% and have an application that is in that caliber. You do NOT need to win the Nobel Prize or have a Rhodes scholarship.
7) In order to not be too disappointed, and to also maximize chances, have a strategic school list. Do not apply to Harvard if your're not Harvard/Stanford caliber.

Reactions: 4 users
You keep your hopes up and apply anyway. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what program you attend because they will all help you achieve the goal of becoming a physician. Don't focus on just a few programs, but if there are some that you really have your heart set on, know that it might take a bit more effort and persistance. FWIW, I was rejected from my medical school the first time I applied, but finally got the acceptance and can now say I am a proud graduate.

My method:

Cry
Cry to husband/SO
Get up the next day and keep on keepin’ on
Eventually get in, tell said husband/SO and agree that none of the tears/meltdowns were worth it, lol.

Hang in there, OP. Everybody goes through feeling inadequate during this process. Unfortunately, actually getting into med school doesn’t make those inadequacies or imposter syndrome magically go away.

Time to start bolstering your self esteem now and work on your coping skills. Read books, watch motivational videos, see a therapist if you need to.

Are you sure you're not just thinking that because of emorys prestigious reputation? Funny how everyone's "dream school" always happens to be NYU, Harvard, Stanford, and schools up there.

Are you sure you're not just thinking that because of emorys prestigious reputation? Funny how everyone's "dream school" always happens to be NYU, Harvard, Stanford, and schools up there.
To be fair, I don’t think Emory is quite in the same category as Stanford or Harvard. Sure, they have a reputable program, but Emory’s curriculum is genuinely in line with my goals. I have a strong desire to work in infectious disease, and boy, that research-focused curriculum right down the street from the CDC calls to me.

My method:

Cry
Cry to husband/SO
Get up the next day and keep on keepin’ on
Eventually get in, tell said husband/SO and agree that none of the tears/meltdowns were worth it, lol.

Hang in there, OP. Everybody goes through feeling inadequate during this process. Unfortunately, actually getting into med school doesn’t make those inadequacies or imposter syndrome magically go away.

Time to start bolstering your self esteem now and work on your coping skills. Read books, watch motivational videos, see a therapist if you need to.
Thank you, I appreciate hearing someone say that. Every step of the way you have to wonder if you’re truly good enough. I take solace in knowing I’m not the only one! I try to be realistic about this process, it’s just that certain times it’s helpful to vent to those that know it best - on this forum and others. Thanks again for your kind words!

You keep your hopes up and apply anyway. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what program you attend because they will all help you achieve the goal of becoming a physician. Don't focus on just a few programs, but if there are some that you really have your heart set on, know that it might take a bit more effort and persistance. FWIW, I was rejected from my medical school the first time I applied, but finally got the acceptance and can now say I am a proud graduate.
Very true. It’s easy to get caught up in the glitz and glam of it all! After all, those programs are doing their best to sell themselves and I recognize that. I appreciate hearing about your resilience. Good on you! Congrats on achieving your goals

The way I deal with it is by not focusing on the 5%.

It will be hard to do your best if you are not excited about specific programs. Personally, I am excited, to a greater or lesser degree, about all of the schools I am applying to. Instead of the 5%, I focus on the fact that the top 40% of the pool are accepted to at least one program.

While I suffer from the same imposter syndrome most other people do, and while I am fully aware of the fact that certain aspects of my application are definitely way stronger than others, and while I cannot help but stress about the negatives, I try to keep in mind that I really ought to be in the top 40% at the end of the day. If not, I'll deal with it this time next year rather than risk having it affecting my approach at the beginning of the journey.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I ended up liking every school I interviewed at, except for the most prestigious one. While it’s great to be excited throughout the cycle, your opinion might change and you’ll end up loving a program that you never thought about before. I’d say go in optimistic and have your dream school, but keep an open mind. All US medical schools,MD and DO, will let you become a doc.

OP, I feel you. I was looking at my school list and feeling self-doubts earlier today. I don't have wise words of advice or comfort, but just letting you know you are not alone at all in this.

Just remember: someone has to be in that 5%; it could be you.