Specific programs at schools for the following three areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastedbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current faculty and/or medical students, does the school you attend/work at have any specific programs for either of the three areas? Can be anything from a distinction track to a whole "Center for...", even if there's a faculty member in one of these areas who's super friendly with medical students. Reason I'm asking is my available funds cut down heavily due to something unexpected and I'm having to lower my school list by 10-15 (applying this year). I would love to prioritize applying to programs that have specific ways for me to get involved in these areas, appreciate any insight!
  • Infectious diseases and tropical medicine, especially tuberculosis, bacterial infections, antibiotic resistance etc.
  • Psychiatry/mental health including teenage/adolescent care
  • Bioethics and medical humanities
  • Global Health, particularly ways to study and actually do stuff abroad. I would love to do a clinical rotation in a different country, do a summer research project somewhere else, etc. I never got to study abroad in college even though I wanted to because I was just too busy and I would love to apply to schools that have structured ways for students to go and do productive things abroad during medical school. Bonus points if there are global opportunities related to the above three interests!
So far I have Penn and UChicago with Centers for Global Health that seem pretty structured, and Emory because it's right near CDC (although I don't know how strong that linkage is and if physical proximity actually means anything).

Any help would be appreciated. Please also feel free to DM if you can't post publicly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UTMB might have tropical medicine stuff

Reactions: 1 user
  • Infectious diseases and tropical medicine, especially tuberculosis, bacterial infections, antibiotic resistance etc.
  • Psychiatry/mental health including teenage/adolescent care
  • Bioethics and medical humanities
  • Global Health, particularly ways to study and actually do stuff abroad
I would suspect most schools will cover psych/mental health and have an element of global health, so you would need to refine your parameters there.

Tropical medicine

Medical humanism

Bioethics

Reactions: 1 user