Staying fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I try to be very conscious about my health and eating habits. I eat 6 small, healthy meals a day and go to the gym 5x's a week. Is this something I would have to give up in vet school due to the rigorous course demands?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine you would have to give that up. Of course there will be days when you can't squeeze in 6 meals (or more likely, you'll have to pack portable healthful foods to eat during the day) and weeks when you might only be able to make it to the gym 3 times, but your schedule won't be so crazy that it leaves absolutely no time for recreation.

Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.

NCaggie said:
Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.

NCaggie, 10-20 lbs of pure muscle is A LOT, but it can be done if you are just starting out because your hormones will come alive like never before.

Here is a good regimen if you want to put on lean muscle:
meal 1:
steel cut or old fashioned oats (not the instant variety)
6-8 boiled eggs w/2-3 yolks max, or
25-30g protein shake

WORKOUT
Heavy, compound exercises with low reps (squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench, dip)
If you can do more than 7-8 reps increase the weight

meal 2 (immediately after your workout):
30-40g fast digesting protein (whey protein)
65-80g fast digesting carbs (dextrose, white rice, white potato, banana, instant oats)
1 cup of fat free milk

meal 3 (1-2 hrs after your workout):
20-30g protein (chicken breast, turkey, fish, lean steak, etc.)
40-50g medium-slow digesting carbs (brown rice, pasta, yams, steel cut oats, whole wheat bread, veggies)

meal 4
same as meal 3, except only 20-30g carbs
fish or flax seed oil (not the capsules)

meal 5
20-30g protein (beef is a good choice because it digests slow)
20g medium-slow carbs (same as meal 3)

meal 6 (right before bedtime)
20-30g slow digesting protein (Fat Free or Lowfat Cottage Cheese is perfect)
a spoon of all natural, sodium free peanut butter
fish or flax seed oil

You want to slow down digestion in meal 6 to prevent muscle catabolism during your "fast" at night.

Also you will want to adjust the amounts according to your weight. Generally you want 1 - 1.5g protein per lb. of bodyweight.

Most of the supplements are hype. Stick with protein, and creatine if you want a temporary boost.

Let me know if I can be of further help. [email protected]