• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Staying fit

youthman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
    I try to be very conscious about my health and eating habits. I eat 6 small, healthy meals a day and go to the gym 5x's a week. Is this something I would have to give up in vet school due to the rigorous course demands?

VeganSoprano

Queen of Spayeds
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    May 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
      I can't imagine you would have to give that up. Of course there will be days when you can't squeeze in 6 meals (or more likely, you'll have to pack portable healthful foods to eat during the day) and weeks when you might only be able to make it to the gym 3 times, but your schedule won't be so crazy that it leaves absolutely no time for recreation.

NCaggie

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 28, 2004
      School in NC Home WA
        Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.

youthman

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jan 31, 2005
          NCaggie said:
          Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.

NCaggie, 10-20 lbs of pure muscle is A LOT, but it can be done if you are just starting out because your hormones will come alive like never before.

Here is a good regimen if you want to put on lean muscle:
          meal 1:
          steel cut or old fashioned oats (not the instant variety)
          6-8 boiled eggs w/2-3 yolks max, or
          25-30g protein shake

WORKOUT
          Heavy, compound exercises with low reps (squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench, dip)
          If you can do more than 7-8 reps increase the weight

meal 2 (immediately after your workout):
          30-40g fast digesting protein (whey protein)
          65-80g fast digesting carbs (dextrose, white rice, white potato, banana, instant oats)
          1 cup of fat free milk

meal 3 (1-2 hrs after your workout):
          20-30g protein (chicken breast, turkey, fish, lean steak, etc.)
          40-50g medium-slow digesting carbs (brown rice, pasta, yams, steel cut oats, whole wheat bread, veggies)

meal 4
          same as meal 3, except only 20-30g carbs
          fish or flax seed oil (not the capsules)

meal 5
          20-30g protein (beef is a good choice because it digests slow)
          20g medium-slow carbs (same as meal 3)

meal 6 (right before bedtime)
          20-30g slow digesting protein (Fat Free or Lowfat Cottage Cheese is perfect)
          a spoon of all natural, sodium free peanut butter
          fish or flax seed oil

You want to slow down digestion in meal 6 to prevent muscle catabolism during your "fast" at night.

Also you will want to adjust the amounts according to your weight. Generally you want 1 - 1.5g protein per lb. of bodyweight.

Most of the supplements are hype. Stick with protein, and creatine if you want a temporary boost.

Let me know if I can be of further help. [email protected]

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.