Staying fit

Started by youthman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

youthman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I try to be very conscious about my health and eating habits. I eat 6 small, healthy meals a day and go to the gym 5x's a week. Is this something I would have to give up in vet school due to the rigorous course demands?
 
I can't imagine you would have to give that up. Of course there will be days when you can't squeeze in 6 meals (or more likely, you'll have to pack portable healthful foods to eat during the day) and weeks when you might only be able to make it to the gym 3 times, but your schedule won't be so crazy that it leaves absolutely no time for recreation.
 
Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.
 
NCaggie said:
Hey, I know this isnt a fitness forum, but you sound like youve got a pretty strong regiment going. I want to start hitting some weights. I dont want to get monstrous or anything like that, just put on about 10 or 20 lbs of muscle. Is that realistic? How should I get started and whats your opinion on supplements? Any advide you can give me would be helpful. thanks.

NCaggie, 10-20 lbs of pure muscle is A LOT, but it can be done if you are just starting out because your hormones will come alive like never before.

Here is a good regimen if you want to put on lean muscle:
meal 1:
steel cut or old fashioned oats (not the instant variety)
6-8 boiled eggs w/2-3 yolks max, or
25-30g protein shake

WORKOUT
Heavy, compound exercises with low reps (squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench, dip)
If you can do more than 7-8 reps increase the weight

meal 2 (immediately after your workout):
30-40g fast digesting protein (whey protein)
65-80g fast digesting carbs (dextrose, white rice, white potato, banana, instant oats)
1 cup of fat free milk

meal 3 (1-2 hrs after your workout):
20-30g protein (chicken breast, turkey, fish, lean steak, etc.)
40-50g medium-slow digesting carbs (brown rice, pasta, yams, steel cut oats, whole wheat bread, veggies)

meal 4
same as meal 3, except only 20-30g carbs
fish or flax seed oil (not the capsules)

meal 5
20-30g protein (beef is a good choice because it digests slow)
20g medium-slow carbs (same as meal 3)

meal 6 (right before bedtime)
20-30g slow digesting protein (Fat Free or Lowfat Cottage Cheese is perfect)
a spoon of all natural, sodium free peanut butter
fish or flax seed oil

You want to slow down digestion in meal 6 to prevent muscle catabolism during your "fast" at night.

Also you will want to adjust the amounts according to your weight. Generally you want 1 - 1.5g protein per lb. of bodyweight.

Most of the supplements are hype. Stick with protein, and creatine if you want a temporary boost.

Let me know if I can be of further help. [email protected]