How to Stay Positive After a Rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kris0811

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was my first time applying to vet school. My first rejection (Midwestern U) has me feeling really discouraged. I'm lucky enough to work with a great DVM who is extremely supportive. She tells me not to worry because I will get accepted somewhere. She tells all of our clients that I'm going to vet school and is always giving me tips about what I'll need to know. I worry about disappointing her and my family more than myself. I feel like my chances of getting into vet school are a lot less after getting my first rejection. I was invited for an interview but didn't make the final cut. I was also invited for an interview at Western U and I'm waiting to hear back. UF and UGA (in-state) are the other schools I applied to. Can any one else relate?

Members don't see this ad.

How did I deal with it? I found out what would make me more competitive so I could improve my application for the next time. I find it very useful to work towards something

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can ask for a file review after the cycle is over so that you know what to work on for next year! :) Maybe just more hours with your very nice DVM will help. I'm sorry you've been rejected from MWU, but there's still a chance for other schools!

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone deals with bad news differently, but I do agree that the best way to deal with a rejection (which I have certainly dealt with, just not a vet school rejection yet, hopefully...) is to either focus on positive things about yourself and to learn ways to strengthen what you need to to get where you need to be. With that said, it sounds like you have a wonderful mentor for a vet! There's still a lot of time left in this cycle, so don't give up. If not this year, then there's next year. DVM admissions are more competitive than anyone who is not prevet is willing to admit, so rejection does not equal inadequacy.

It's part of the journey. Life is a sum of our experiences, and more importantly, how you handle failure/adversity and bounce back stronger. Vet school is competitive, and at the end of the day, it's about marketing yourself effectively. This time around, you didn't make the cut. But that definitely doesn't mean you're inadequate or lack the requisite smarts and skills.

Pick up the pieces and try again. When you do get in, it will be that much sweeter, and this single rejection will be a small blip on the radar. It's funny, because when I think of things I've accomplished in my life, it's not about single awards or points in time; it's about the timeline leading up to those and how much work it took to get there. Nothing worthwhile in this world comes easy. Keep your head up :).

Reactions: 2 users
These guys know what they're talking about.

But also, it's way too early in the game (in my opinion) to get discouraged. You still have one interview and 2 other schools to hear back from - including an IS school! How lucky you are to even have an IS! it's definitely too soon to throw in the towel. Use that interview as a learning experience so that you nail the next one :)

As someone who's first response was a rejection and took it badly (like, really badly).... don't let it ruin the rest of the cycle for you, and don't let it be a "predictor" of things to come. It doesn't even matter if statistically you had "greater" chances at this school than your others, because bottom line: Each school weighs your application differently, so a rejection at one school DOES NOT automatically mean rejection at another school.

Just remember, all it takes is one yes :)

Reactions: 4 users
How did I deal with it? I found out what would make me more competitive so I could improve my application for the next time. I find it very useful to work towards something

Yeah! What Dyachei said! :D Don't look at rejection as the end of the world, look at it as an exciting challenge! Don't let it break you....let it be your motivation to come back better than ever, come next cycle :D (Unless, of course, you get an acceptance this cycle :p)

I applied to vet school for 3 years, a total of 17 schools, a few number of waitlists and many, many rejection letters.

It is ok to be upset... seriously. It is disappointing and you have a right to feel that way. However, don't let that feeling take over and control you. Allow yourself to feel upset and then use that as determination to improve your application for the following year. You are already taking this step by contacting the school to see what you can do. Take their recommendations and put them into action.

The worst thing you can do at this point, is nothing and apply again next year with the same stats and experiences. Show that you took the time and effort to improve and focus on putting forth the best application you possibly can.

(And it helps to treat yourself to something you enjoy... cookies, cake, a yummy dinner, a good drink... whatever picks up your mood... ice cream and a movie night... :) )

So, all the above may not exactly apply to you but the message is still the same.

Not only that, you don't have a "no" yet from all schools. Hang in there, it isn't over yet, you have a few more schools to hear from. For now, all you can do is look to the future and focus on improving yourself for next year should it be needed. Oh and get some ice cream or cookies or whatever... ;)

I am in the same boat as you. Got rejected from Davis (my in-state and alma mater) and I'm am waiting on Western. I'm not sure my interview went very well, so I'm not extremely hopeful. I have just been distracting myself by doing things that are relaxing and stress free. Kind of hard since i'm a person who tend to obsess over things.... I think what everyone else has said in this post is true. I'm just *trying* to stay positive! I'm just worried because I don't think I can financially afford to even apply next year since some family matters have come up recently.... So I'm just really hoping I get in somewhere this cycle (yay for financial aid!) :xf:

I know this is much easier said than done, but just try to remain positive. Nothing good will come over stressing about it, it will drive you crazy and hinder your daily life (at least that's what happened to me). Hoping we both hear good news soon! :happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
My first year applying, I was 5/5 rejections with no interviews anywhere. I started to feel pretty crappy after the 3rd rejection, but I still created a backup plan. I also did file reviews everywhere. I got accepted 2/3 places with 3 interviews the very next cycle!

Hang in there. I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said other than that you should stay positive. I'm all for taking a day or to for moping and eating, but don't wallow for too long. Do file reviews ASAP (a lot of schools won't even schedule them until late Spring), and take those seriously. Do what they suggest, and try again.

Also, FWIW, getting an interview anywhere generally indicates that you are a solid applicant. So don't take one rejection to mean that you're going to get rejected everywhere. Like I said, my IS cut me after the interview, but the other two schools gave me a seat. Keep your chin up :)

ETA: To clarify, my backup plan was not a backup career, but a pre-vet internship that really helped me stand out during applications.

Last edited:
It helps to have a plan B in place, and frankly, everyone should going into vet school admissions. Assume you won't get in. Then when you do, it's a nice surprise. But if you don't, you know what you'll be doing. I knew what I'd be doing if I didn't get in and had a plan in place to improve my application. Though yes, I did have a day or so of wallowing in self pity. If you need to do that, then do it and move on.

Don't let it be the end of your dream - use it as motivation to improve yourself.

And remember, everything happens for a reason. I didn't get in my first year, and in the next year I spent re-applying, I re-connected (and am now engaged) to a very old, dear friend. That never would have happened if I got in the first try.

Perhaps the world has more in store for you before you get an acceptance. Be patient, work hard, and don't give up on your dream!

Reactions: 1 users
My first year applying, I was 5/5 rejections with no interviews anywhere. I started to feel pretty crappy after the 3rd rejection, but I still created a backup plan. I also did file reviews everywhere. I got accepted 2/3 places with 3 interviews the very next cycle!

Hang in there. I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said other than that you should stay positive. I'm all for taking a day or to for moping and eating, but don't wallow for too long. Do file reviews ASAP (a lot of schools won't even schedule them until late Spring), and take those seriously. Do what they suggest, and try again.

Also, FWIW, getting an interview anywhere generally indicates that you are a solid applicant. So don't take one rejection to mean that you're going to get rejected everywhere. Like I said, my IS cut me after the interview, but the other two schools gave me a seat. Keep your chin up :)

As an addition to PP's point, there's no point in comparing yourself to others at this point either. PP and I know each other through Facebook and when she told me that she had been rejected from all 5 schools our first year applying together, I was stunned. She has way better stats than me in every way and I got an interview/waitlist when she didn't. This really is a situation of different schools look at everyone differently. Do the file reviews and look at how you can improve and don't think of the others (you may or may not know) applying. You can only improve yourself. Use this as a way to get better!

I really want to emphasize this. lol.

Reactions: 5 users
oh boy, driving the struggle bus today with this topic. Much like everyone else Ive given up so so so much to be where im at ( well paying jobs, relationships, friends, money, time with my family, health, sanity, etc etc). So far Ive been rejected from UCD, WSU, and Pretty sure oregon (not official, but all other out of state students recieved acceptance letters so i can put two and two together). I was listed as a alternate to a dual program at CSU, which was my top choice. But theres only 5 seats available for said program so the odds of getting bumped off the alternate list is 1 in a million. Waiting to here from Ohio, Cornell, and Midwestern (zero communication thus far from them). I had an interview at Western U but after visiting twice decided it wasnt the school for me. I had no back up plans as I applied to 9 schools figuring that WAS my back up plan because one of them should have accepted me right? Super hard deal to swallow right now, and right before finals. Kinda wandering aimlessly. Im also older than your standard applicant so the last thing I want to do is wait MORE to finally accomplish my dream. Really hard pill to swallow. Cant impove my resume at all that I know. The only thing I can do is improve my grades....but im graduating in june so the only option is a masters which will delay this whole process two years....legit feel like i got kicked in the stomach and honestly not sure where to go from here? No one warns you how emotionally draining this entire process is. :(

....legit feel like i got kicked in the stomach...No one warns you how emotionally draining this entire process is. :(
hug_emoticon_by_smiekie.gif

This is your first time applying, you need to put things into perspective and realize that some goals are not easily obtained. MOST vets I have worked with did not get into vet school their first try. Most got in on their 2 or 3 application cycle. What they did between the period of time they were rejected and the time they were accepted was that they improved their application substantially. This got them to a point where they stood out from thousands of applicants, many of which were first time applicants. It may seem like many people on SDN are getting into vet school their first try, but SDN is not a representative sample of pre-vet students across the country. I do feel your pain for getting rejections from veterinary schools, as this is my 3rd application cycle. How I dealt with rejection is that I realized, failure is part of success. Even though I applied to more than one school this application cycle (previously only applied to IS), I still continue to improve my application for the next application cycle because time does fly by. Don't focus on the rejection, focus on what you can do now to become an excellent vet in the future. I hate to say it, but getting rejected to veterinary school twice has been a blessing in disguise because all of the experiences I have acquired and continued education will help me in veterinary school one day and even later on in my career. When I did the file review with admissions after the last application cycle, they stated I would know a lot more than most other students applying and my veterinary experience would help me stand out. I highly recommend doing file reviews with every school you applied to and get feedback from admissions on how to improve your application for the next cycle. Best of luck and please don't be discouraged :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I wish I had a nickel for every time I thought, "Man, I should just give up now. If I try, I'll only fail again." And then surprise myself by succeeding eventually.

What I've learned is that my brain loves to be short sighted and have amnesia. When I fail, it forgets all about the 99999999 times I've overcome failure. It wants to focus on this ONE failure and use it as evidence that I'll never succeed again so I shouldn't try. It's stupid. The only 100% surefire way to not overcome failure, is to not try.

And I think maybe what it is...it's a defense mechanism gone wrong. It's like my brain is trying to comfort itself, but it's only making things worse. What makes me feel MUCH better is to think about the times I kicked failure in the rear end!

tumblr_nv1rauD0F81sm41mbo2_540.jpg

Just saw that on Tumblr.

Reactions: 1 users
oh boy, driving the struggle bus today with this topic. Much like everyone else Ive given up so so so much to be where im at ( well paying jobs, relationships, friends, money, time with my family, health, sanity, etc etc). So far Ive been rejected from UCD, WSU, and Pretty sure oregon (not official, but all other out of state students recieved acceptance letters so i can put two and two together). I was listed as a alternate to a dual program at CSU, which was my top choice. But theres only 5 seats available for said program so the odds of getting bumped off the alternate list is 1 in a million. Waiting to here from Ohio, Cornell, and Midwestern (zero communication thus far from them). I had an interview at Western U but after visiting twice decided it wasnt the school for me. I had no back up plans as I applied to 9 schools figuring that WAS my back up plan because one of them should have accepted me right? Super hard deal to swallow right now, and right before finals. Kinda wandering aimlessly. Im also older than your standard applicant so the last thing I want to do is wait MORE to finally accomplish my dream. Really hard pill to swallow. Cant impove my resume at all that I know. The only thing I can do is improve my grades....but im graduating in june so the only option is a masters which will delay this whole process two years....legit feel like i got kicked in the stomach and honestly not sure where to go from here? No one warns you how emotionally draining this entire process is. :(
It's still relatively early in the application cycle, don't write yourself off yet! I don't know where Ohio or Cornell are at in the process of reviewing applications, but I haven't heard a peep from Midwestern either other than that they've received my stuff. It's weird with rolling admissions how some people have already received acceptances and others nothing, but I think I heard last cycle someone had an interview with Midwestern in June and got accepted! I'm also a third-time applicant, so I definitely understand that rejections sting, but thinking like you're already done for is just shooting yourself in the foot. If you get an interview at one of the schools you haven't heard from yet, you still need to be confident in order to rock it! All it takes is one acceptance in order to become a DVM. :)

In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to start thinking about how to improve your app if you do have to apply next year. Maybe improving your GPA isn't feasible, but there are DEFINITELY always ways to improve -- getting more/a greater variety of experience hours, improving your GRE scores, tweaking your personal statement, forming relationships with people who can write you awesome LORs, etc. Try posting in the "what are my chances?" thread if you're feeling stuck. And like Lilly mentioned, file reviews are a huge help!

It's still relatively early in the application cycle, don't write yourself off yet! I don't know where Ohio or Cornell are at in the process of reviewing applications, but I haven't heard a peep from Midwestern either other than that they've received my stuff. It's weird with rolling admissions how some people have already received acceptances and others nothing, but I think I heard last cycle someone had an interview with Midwestern in June and got accepted! I'm also a third-time applicant, so I definitely understand that rejections sting, but thinking like you're already done for is just shooting yourself in the foot. If you get an interview at one of the schools you haven't heard from yet, you still need to be confident in order to rock it! All it takes is one acceptance in order to become a DVM. :)

In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to start thinking about how to improve your app if you do have to apply next year. Maybe improving your GPA isn't feasible, but there are DEFINITELY always ways to improve -- getting more/a greater variety of experience hours, improving your GRE scores, tweaking your personal statement, forming relationships with people who can write you awesome LORs, etc. Try posting in the "what are my chances?" thread if you're feeling stuck. And like Lilly mentioned, file reviews are a huge help!

Speaking of which. I know somebody who lives in the UK and who got rejected from the two schools they applied to. I'd like to give her helpful suggestions. What can a UK applicant do to improve their application?

Speaking of which. I know somebody who lives in the UK and who got rejected from the two schools they applied to. I'd like to give her helpful suggestions. What can a UK applicant do to improve their application?

Everything a US applicant can do to improve their application ;)

So veterinary experience hours matter? I was under the impression they didn't.

My bad, I thought she was a UK applicant applying for US schools! I have no idea how it works over there. Lol