Staying in Touch with Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relentlessrook18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any excellent tips on emailing or calling programs to express your interest? I interviewed pretty early this season, and I don't want them to forget about me.

Members don't see this ad.

A thank you card and periodic emails to the director go a long way.

Reactions: 1 user
Periodic email? What does it mean? every month?

I sent thank you letters and emails but never got a reply from anyone lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Periodic email? What does it mean? every month?

I sent thank you letters and emails but never got a reply from anyone lol

I think every month is a little bit aggressive. Maybe every few months.

I also wouldn't expect a reply. They get a lot of emails from applicants; replying to each one (on top of being a physician and program director) would take too much time.

I think every month is a little bit aggressive. Maybe every few months.

I also wouldn't expect a reply. They get a lot of emails from applicants; replying to each one (on top of being a physician and program director) would take too much time.

This.

Thank you cards were always well accepted and something that reflected positively. A couple simple emails to the director would be more than sufficient but no more than 2 or 3, and certainly don't try to open up some sort of dialogue. That would be annoying.

What exactly would you say in those emails to the PD?

Come on man (or lady), really? If you've made it through 12 years of primary education, undergrad and medical school, surely you can come up with a few sentences on your own.

With my ever pithy constitution, I'd probably start out with a hello, something personable to let them know I'm not a robot or some sort of creature devoid of communication skills, then end with an appropriate salutation.

Come on man (or lady), really? If you've made it through 12 years of primary education, undergrad and medical school, surely you can come up with a few sentences on your own.

With my ever pithy constitution, I'd probably start out with a hello, something personable to let them know I'm not a robot or some sort of creature devoid of communication skills, then end with an appropriate salutation.

No, I mean what do you talk about to keep in touch. I see no reason to email except for thank yous or saying they're your #1. Do you just remind them that you haven't forgotten about them...? No need to be all condescending...