Staying on DO Waitlist Past 5/15 with Acceptance Elsewhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

health.is.wealth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are you allowed to stay on a waitlist at another school past 5/15 if you are already committed to another medical school? I know on the AACOMAS website it says on 5/15 the names of students committed to more than one school will be released, but when I called AACOMAS was unaware if being on a waitlist would jeopardize your spot at the school you're currently enrolled in.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you allowed to stay on a waitlist at another school past 5/15 if you are already committed to another medical school? I know on the AACOMAS website it says on 5/15 the names of students committed to more than one school will be released, but when I called AACOMAS was unaware if being on a waitlist would jeopardize your spot at the school you're currently enrolled in.
The DO world doesn't behave like that of MD, which is more of the jealous lover model.

You can even matriculate into one school and leave in orientation week! Happens all the time. You just lose your hefty deposit (which you'll make back as an attending).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I've never heard of AACOMAS telling the COMs that people have committed elsewhere. Are you sure you're not confusing AACOMAS with AMCAS?

Im pretty sure its an AMCAS thing.

Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Goro from AACOMAS Website

Reactions: 1 user
I read the blurb on the AACOMAS website and was surprised to see that they actually have done something useful. This is definitely one of those under the radar type of things, but AACOMAS just became a tad more similar to AMCAS!

So the days of one DO school poaching kids from others are drawing to a close.

Now the person you spoke was factually correct, the decision to rescind an acceptance is up the the DO school where you're holding the accept.

TLDR, in both the MD and DO worlds, there comes a time where one has to defecate, or get off of the toilet.

One final note, this still means that there is no cross communication between the MD and DO worlds.

Reactions: 1 user
So just to confirm:

I could be on a waitlist at school X and be accepted (paid a deposit) at school Y at the same time without any negative repercussions right? If on the chance that I get placed off the waitlist at school X, I would simply have to give notice to school Y where I paid a deposit? (School X and School Y are both DOs)

So just to confirm:

I could be on a waitlist at school X and be accepted (paid a deposit) at school Y at the same time without any negative repercussions right? If on the chance that I get placed off the waitlist at school X, I would simply have to give notice to school Y where I paid a deposit? (School X and School Y are both DOs)
Yes! I just talked to the Admissions' director for the school I currently hold a seat at and that's what he told me! He said you can be on as many waitlists as you'd like and the school will never know. However, if you get into another school and choose to attend there, tell the school immediately that you're giving up your seat.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! I just talked to the Admissions' director for the school I currently hold a seat at and that's what he told me! He said you can be on as many waitlists as you'd like and the school will never know. However, if you get into another school and choose to attend there, tell the school immediately that you're giving up your seat.

awesome, thank you very much

Reactions: 2 users