Staying organized, intern year tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeaboutthat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers, with intern year underway, I'm finding one of the toughest parts of the job learning how to keep track of everything for each pt. Many times we'll get a consult during the day and I'll be trying to go through all the labs, vitals, imaging for the patient, (not to mention putting in admit orders and answering calls for other patients) and before I even completely understand what we're dealing with, senior residents or attendings will already be asking for my thoughts on management. How do more senior residents approach a new patient and what are some good ways to keep track of impt info for each patient (such as when next set of labs will be, what antbiotics patients are on, what maintenance fluids, what their ef was on that echo from 3 months ago, how much they got of this vs that medication)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you on a medicine/subspecialty consult service or are you the primary team on a medicine service? It's kind of confusing from your post above.

Regardless, you will get better with more practice. I think what medical students and interns struggle the most with is weeding out what is irrelevant and paying attention to what is relevant (separating out the wheat from the chaff, if you will). Unfortunately, there isn't a magical way to teach this. With time, you will get better at "thinking like an attending" and paying more attention to what is relevant and disregarding what is not. A common fallacy in interns is to regurgitate a complete list of lab values every single morning during prerounding, and honestly most attendings do not care about every value (for example, I think I have seen the Cl- value (not as part of an anion gap calculation) be actually important exactly once in 3 years of residency). If they truly care about something, they'll ask you for it. The tricky thing though is to figure out what these things are.

To learn what is important, the best way is to have a systemic way of gathering relevant data on every patient. For example in every new admission, go from the CC to PMH to medications to exam to labs to imaging, focusing most on how they connect with the CC. For instance, just to name a few things, data collection in a CHF patient would be focused on last TTE and LVEF (PMH), BB/diuretics/aldactone (medications), LE edema/JVD (exam), BNP (labs), CXR (imaging). In a cellulitis/OM patient you would care about any outpatient therapies tried (PMH), current antibiotics and their coverage spectrum (medications), fevers/vitals/extent of disease marked by pen/vitals (exam), WBC/CRP/ESR/cultures (labs), XR/MRI (imaging) for example. A TTE will be more relevant in the first and a CRP will be more relevant in the second. You can't possibly remember everything about every patient from the chart, so you need to focus on what is relevant. Never go into a random data collecting mode frenzy without thinking about the significance of the things you're looking for. If you routinely ask yourself these questions, you'll be able to anticipate better what your senior and attending will be asking you for and quickly come up with a management plan for new admissions.

Reactions: 4 users
I've written some posts about being an intern that addresses this. It's partly specialty and attending dependent if they care if you can recite the Cl- value on demand on every patient or not, and that's more true early in the year. Regardless, the system you create now for going over everything will have value for when you don't have to regurgitate it all anymore.

The system you develop for morning pre-rounds, time in the room with patients, keeping track of PE, notes, important values, d/c of med courses like abx, etc I would argue matters and much of it will continue to serve you from intern day 1 to being a senior to an attending.

I didn't really have enough responsibility in med school to develop a system in response to pressure. I had to do it intern year. I share what I went through.

First of all, there is no "shining" as an intern. There's just differing levels of pain and humiliation. Create a reasonable goal for yourself, which isn't shining special snowflake, but surviving.

Things you do as PGY1 intern that make attendant's or resident's job easier or more difficult?
is probably my best most organized post on the topic of how to be good
Things you do as PGY1 intern that make attendant's or resident's job easier or more difficult?
I also list how to be baaaad

Comfortable shoes for wards
For shoes, this is "step one" of your success
This goes with my advice, always buy a good bed, and a good pair of shoes, because if you're not in one you're in the other.

Directions out of Burn Out Central?
more on basic self care

Creating rounds list on EPIC?
A *detailed* guide on setting up Epic if that is your system, but can be easily adapted as a system for collecting prerounding data in the am

Stressed out already!
some basic tips, below that is a post on what your job really is

Stressed out already!
same thread, post that is a *detailed* guide on organizing your to-do list and notes that you carry for presenting in your pocket
the pharmacist is your friend
, get good at typing and holding a phone to your shoulder at the same time (depending on your system you can bring a plug in headset in your pocket to really go hands free!)

Grave concerns about lack of oversight & teaching at new program
thoughts on approaching the program about problems

Grave concerns about lack of oversight & teaching at new program
more on efficiency, same thread

How does one fail a rotation?
more on efficiency, and asking for feedback, what your job as an intern actually is

I feel like I suck at talking to interviewing pts and eliciting info
taking a faster history, railroading your patients in conversation and smoothing their feathers

What interns should know day 1.
what to know, what to carry, post below the immediate one linked is my list of useful topics to have a handle on for clinic and wards

What should I have in my white coat pocket as an intern? (books, charts, food, and ect...)
more on what to have with you, custom pockets

Night Float weekend
Some ideas about night float - I recommended the book from the EM Resident Association "Top Clinical Problems in EM" for night float, ICU, & EM rotation
especially as an intern, my first concern was not missing emergencies!

What do you log as work hours?
why you must not only lie about work hours, but how to not get caught in the EHR doing so

Resident friend joked about suicide
Setting up medical care, particularly mental health, for yourself NOW

Alcoholics Anonymous in residency
If you have any substance abuse issues that need looked after. There's also a section in there where I talk about disabilities and how they can mesh with your program (given how common substance abuse and chronic pain our in our cohort I thought it worth adding here)

How to apply for disability accommodations
I wrote this guide for a disabled med student, but the lessons learned here are useful for residents with disabilities as well

Disability Insurance in Residency
definitely think about disability insurance! if it happens to you, you'll likely wish you were dead instead depending how much life insurance for your family you bought unless you bought enough disability insurance

I feel like a hypocrite, but I feel like I'm ready to quit intern year
thoughts about maintaining a professional facade

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...under-anesthesia.1145407/page-2#post-16691284
watch your mouth at all times

Feeling overwhelmed
work place topics to avoid

Unfriendly residency/hospital environment?
my 3 rules for how to get along better ie kiss ass better is buried here

Professional Email Signature format for Residents
Now that you have a nifty title, how should people address you?

Discussing Code Status
End of life chemotherapy: unnecessary, costly, and decreases quality of life
My thoughts on code discussions & setting goals of care...
"annoying" time consuming "chores" shunted to interns in some institutions.... and arguably where you have the *most* impact on patients' sense of well being

How to run a code
not just on running a code but... closed loop communication! that concept will spare you headaches

Tips and Tricks to stay alert on Test Day?
my test tips and tricks.... the ITE matters more than you will be led to believe, and may be helpful for step 3... don't **** those off

Does Zofran cause sedation in your experience?
a few pearls on nausea, anti-nausea meds, anti-emetics, delirium

Be as CYA saavy as @Law2Doc . He is a shark and just the sort of mindset you will be dealing with and needing to impress in many of your attendings/admin. Everything that @Perrotfish ever said, just remember almost none of your attendings will be as cool as him. I think @Doctor4Life1769 gives great advice especially on politics. @aProgDirector gives great level advice but I wouldn't go in expecting your PD to be as reasonable as they are. Check out their past posts on stuff to learn more about how things work.

My personal mantra, is that your job is to be safe, fast, and pleasant, in that order. Also, you are a notemonkey making love to a pager. Keep your head down and don't make waves.

As I say in my posts above, get as much admin crap out of the way before you start, learn your EHR if you can, gather resources to make your life easier (white coat pocket cards, USEFUL review books, and phone apps), and as others said, live as close to the hospital as you can, get all your affairs settled (dental work, car repairs, new tires, rental car benefit on your auto insurance, disability insurance, preventative care, IUD, dry cleaning, moving, and finding all the stuff you need in your new town like a new doc, drycleaner's, auto mechanic, etc) because you won't have time later.

Reactions: 2 users