Staying Salutatorian...

vstexas09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is just to boost my confidence, because I'm scared..

My GPA is 4.989 out of 5, and I'm No.2

The kid behind me is 4.898 and GPA is locked around April 15...

I had 8 classes last semester (4 AP, no filler, and averaged a 96.5)

* there's this one class called research honors (an honors class which i avg. a 92 for the semester...very tough...

This semester i have 7 classes (5 AP, 1 filler)

i still have that honors class but i think i will get a b in it for the semester...it is so tough...

the kid behind me only had 3 AP classes last and this semester (office aid (no credit), tennis, and filler, both semesters)

do you think i'm okay...if i keep my grades up?

Members don't see this ad.

No real reason to ask the question. If you keep your grades up you'll be okay, assuming you're both on the same scale. If you make all A's there's no way he can catch you, even if he makes all A's.

And if he does catch you, well what can you do? You can sit and wallow in self-pity about something nobody else really cares about, or you can realize you tried your hardest and that's all that matters.

* there's this one class called research honors (an honors class which i avg. a 92 for the semester...very tough...

i still have that honors class but i think i will get a b in it for the semester...it is so tough...

the kid behind me only had 3 AP classes last and this semester (office aid (no credit), tennis, and filler, both semesters)

Yes, we can.

obama_mail_500px.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
No real reason to ask the question. If you keep your grades up you'll be okay, assuming you're both on the same scale. If you make all A's there's no way he can catch you, even if he makes all A's.

And if he does catch you, well what can you do? You can sit and wallow in self-pity about something nobody else really cares about, or you can realize you tried your hardest and that's all that matters.

I agree. Try your best. I understand the stress you may feel now about it. I was kinda in your shoes 3 years ago. But I can tell you this, once you get into undergrad, no one, let me add some emphasis here... NO ONE, will care one bit if you were valedictorian or salutatorian. Sure it's great for your confidence, but it doesn't really matter. All that matters is your grades, those will get you scholarship money (for your first year only... after that, it's all about the college GPA). Just keep up the good work as you move into undergrad. Congrats on your accomplishments thus far!

do you guys (looking at my stats) think i will be alright??

:)

Last edited:
do you guys (looking at my stats) think i will be alright??

Alright in what context?

Staying salutatorian?... I really can't tell you. If you get all A's then sure. But I don't know if you will. And I sure don't know how the other kid is doing. I think you know the answer to this one already. :)

Being successful in college? For sure. You've proved that you have great work ethic. Just keep up the hard work and you'll be fine...

Remember... the latter of the two is what really matters.

Honestly, at this point, neither matters. You've presumably already gotten into college, and they're not going to revoke your acceptance for getting straight C's, let alone 1 B among A's. I don't even remember who the salutatorian from my class of 104 was. It'd be a decent ego stroke, I guess, but try not to worry about it.

Not to be harsh, but I kinda side with Milkman. No one will care at all in 4 years when you're applying to med schools. They won't even ask for your GPA from high school.

I know it doesn't matter, but it seems that this is the only thing going good for me...and I want to win it so bad!

I'm lacking a crap load of confidence to pull it off...everyone around me guarantees that i will come out second...i dunno...im scared...

Dude, you don't need confidence to stay salutatorian, just As. Which you obviously already have, so don't sweat it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter? I'm sure you're the only person in your class still worrying about your grades, so yeah, you should have no problem getting the accolades you deserve. And just FYI, no one, besides yourself and maybe your mom, cares about this. So if you don't get it, no one will think less of you, and it won't hurt you in any way.

I know it doesn't matter, but it seems that this is the only thing going good for me...and I want to win it so bad!

Seriously, you're in your final weeks of high school. This should be one of the best times of your life... enjoy it. Now, if something really terrible has happend to you lately, then I sympathesize, but if not, try to get some perspective.

Does it really matter? I'm sure you're the only person in your class still worrying about your grades, so yeah, you should have no problem getting the accolades you deserve. And just FYI, no one, besides yourself and maybe your mom, cares about this. So if you don't get it, no one will think less of you, and it won't hurt you in any way.

"Yourself" won't care about it a day after you get it either. It'll feel good for a few minutes after you see you got it, but then you'll realize it doesn't mean anything and it's not the next coming of God, then you'll get over it.

Harsh much guys?

OP, don't listen to those who say it doesn't matter. i understand where you're coming from-- it seems like a BIG deal to you right now, and it is. i was salutatorian of my high school class. now it's five years later, all of college has gone by, i'm applying to med school, and i have an amazing job... and you know what? i'm still a little proud that i was #2 in high school. not that i think about it very often, but when i do, i get a warm fuzzy. and i don't think there's anything wrong with that :)

Seriously, you're in your final weeks of high school. This should be one of the best times of your life... enjoy it. Now, if something really terrible has happend to you lately, then I sympathesize, but if not, try to get some perspective.

::shudder:: it scares me when people say that! high school was so painful for me. so, OP, if you happen to be like me... don't worry, it gets better.

Haha, you must have missed Tennis' "Yes We Can" month.

Every single post said it... it was epic.

This depends on for what purpose you want salutatorian.

Either you want it to show when you apply to college, or you want to make a speech at graduation.

If it was me, i would just care about the college part, but i dont know about you.

If you are SAL right now....then when you apply to college, i assume you did already....noone cares if it gets locked April, because by April you will start getting some decisions back from schools who will have already seen you ranked number 2.

So in that sense you are fine.

If you want to make a speech at graduation....i guess either you will have to drug #3 and 4 to make sure they fail a test or 2.....or you can just make sure your averages are equal to or higher than theres =).

You can only control your own work, so just do the best you can. Try to move away from competing against other people and focus on competing against yourself. Be the best student you can be; that will be enough. It would be great if you could be salutatorian, but there's no shame in being third or fourth either. It wouldn't take anything away from your impressive scholastic accomplishments.

I was valedictorian of my class, and honestly, the only time it was the least bit fun for me was when they handed out my diploma. That's because I got to be the first person in my whole class to officially graduate. But then I had to sit there on the stage for a couple of hours and watch everyone else get theirs, which wasn't fun at all. :hungover:

::shudder:: it scares me when people say that! high school was so painful for me. so, OP, if you happen to be like me... don't worry, it gets better.

Haha, well, I didn't partcularly enjoy high school myself either. But even I had a great time those last few weeks to months, mainly because I knew it was almost over, and I just didn't care about school anymore. And yeah, it definitely does get better.