1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Staying with a Student Host

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Simon, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Simon

Simon Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Y'all,

For several of my interviews that are coming up, housing is provided with a student host. Obviously, this is somewhat different from a hotel room: I'll have to bring my own towel and toilletries.

But is there anything else I should bring extra? I assume that the student host will provide bedding, sheets, pillow, etc. Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    Bring a small gift for your host.

A small box of candy,or bag of coffee,or a gift certificate to a local coffee shop, etc...

I can't remmebr the thread but last year there was along thread on what people gave their host. Something small and nice as a way to thank them.

4. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fruitcake?

5. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just met a seond year med student today. I'd suggest something caffeinated (for before exams) or alcoholic (for after tests)

6. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

small bottle of a fine whiskey would suffice

7. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if you're wondering what to bring, ask your student host. i've had at least e-mail contact with all of my hosts, hopefully the your case is the same. just ask them if you need to bring pillow, sleeping bag, etc.
    oh, and for females, chocolate is 99.9999% of the time the way to go. mmmmmmmmm, chocolate.

8. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Hehe. Medical students do make time to have fun, especially in the preclinical years. A small gift shows that you're thoughtful but it's not important. What is important is not being a slob or a braggart.

9. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule
    10+ Year Member

Damn, should we give a gift???? I feel bad now cause I didnt bring anything for my host. Of course I was kind and showed alot of gratitude but now I dont think that was enough.......

Jetson

10. mikegoal

mikegoal rebmeM
    10+ Year Member

ive hosted students before and i never even thought that they may have brought me a gift but dont sweat it if you didnt. anyone that volunteers to do it is probaly just happy to help

11. neuromd03

neuromd03 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Don't sweat it. Med students are people, too! We like gifts but it's absolutely okay not to give one. A simple thank you note is more than enough, aside from cleanliness and a dose of humility when you're their guest. :)

A lot of hosts throw parties because exams are over or it's the weekend, so definitely bring something other than a suit to wear. If you have a PS2 or a cool toy, bring it!

12. theshinning

theshinning Junior Member

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

14. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    at two of my interviews, i arrived at a time convenient to take my student host out to dinner. at another interview, i stayed w/my best friend, so my presence was a gift in itself! ;)

i'm bringing chocolate for the girl i'm staying with tomorrow night. :) mmmmm. chocolate. mmmm.... chocolate variety packs with maps to the goodness. :D

15. Jedi In Training

Jedi In Training Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As a student host, my advice to is contact your host as early as possible, so they need to find clean sheets and have them ready when you arrive. Offering to take a host to dinner is a nice gesture, since med students often eat leftovers or cafeteria food.