Staying with a Student Host

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

For several of my interviews that are coming up, housing is provided with a student host. Obviously, this is somewhat different from a hotel room: I'll have to bring my own towel and toilletries.

But is there anything else I should bring extra? I assume that the student host will provide bedding, sheets, pillow, etc. Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Bring a small gift for your host.

A small box of candy,or bag of coffee,or a gift certificate to a local coffee shop, etc...

I can't remmebr the thread but last year there was along thread on what people gave their host. Something small and nice as a way to thank them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just met a seond year med student today. I'd suggest something caffeinated (for before exams) or alcoholic (for after tests)

small bottle of a fine whiskey would suffice

if you're wondering what to bring, ask your student host. i've had at least e-mail contact with all of my hosts, hopefully the your case is the same. just ask them if you need to bring pillow, sleeping bag, etc.
oh, and for females, chocolate is 99.9999% of the time the way to go. mmmmmmmmm, chocolate.

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
small bottle of a fine whiskey would suffice

Hehe. Medical students do make time to have fun, especially in the preclinical years. A small gift shows that you're thoughtful but it's not important. What is important is not being a slob or a braggart.

Damn, should we give a gift???? I feel bad now cause I didnt bring anything for my host. Of course I was kind and showed alot of gratitude but now I dont think that was enough.......

Jetson

ive hosted students before and i never even thought that they may have brought me a gift but dont sweat it if you didnt. anyone that volunteers to do it is probaly just happy to help

Originally posted by Jet915
Damn, should we give a gift???? I feel bad now cause I didnt bring anything for my host. Of course I was kind and showed alot of gratitude but now I dont think that was enough.......

Jetson

Don't sweat it. Med students are people, too! We like gifts but it's absolutely okay not to give one. A simple thank you note is more than enough, aside from cleanliness and a dose of humility when you're their guest. :)

A lot of hosts throw parties because exams are over or it's the weekend, so definitely bring something other than a suit to wear. If you have a PS2 or a cool toy, bring it!

at two of my interviews, i arrived at a time convenient to take my student host out to dinner. at another interview, i stayed w/my best friend, so my presence was a gift in itself! ;)

i'm bringing chocolate for the girl i'm staying with tomorrow night. :) mmmmm. chocolate. mmmm.... chocolate variety packs with maps to the goodness. :D

As a student host, my advice to is contact your host as early as possible, so they need to find clean sheets and have them ready when you arrive. Offering to take a host to dinner is a nice gesture, since med students often eat leftovers or cafeteria food.