1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Steady hand?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by akd, Jul 31, 2006.

1. akd

akd New Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me how important it is to keep a steady hand? I have some hand tremors (genetic) that will most likely get worse as I age...has anyone had or seen an optometrist with this problem? Does everyone have to have a perfect non-shaking hand all the time? Please let me know...I think I'll have to consider a career change...depending on your answers...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I guess this is a tough call... For the most part if your hands aren't perfectly steady it won't matter with things like refraction, ret, or general slit lamp. However, there's a lot of procedures that will require a reasonably steady hand, such as 78/90D indirect ophthalmoscopy, BIO, gonioscopy and even steadier for punctal plug insertion.

I'm guessing you haven't applied to schools yet? I'd probably suggest visiting a few different practices (with varying specialities...) to see what the optometrist does and if you think you will be able to do it. If you live near an Optometry school you could probably visit the clinic there?

Hope that helps, and best of luck!!!

4. KaBlamO

KaBlamO Member
    7+ Year Member

not to mention foreign body removal! we don't want to dig into bowmans, do we? :eek:

5. drgregory

drgregory Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    traditionally, your options are limited in alot of healthcare. most of the MD specialties would be difficult - realize that all MDs go through general residency and have some surgical experience.
    dentistry or podiatry would be out of the question.
    optometry, though a somewhat non-surgical profession, would be feasible, but you would still encounter problems.
    psychology might be the best bet.

6. gsinccom

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    what about pharmacy.

7. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    trying to do non-dilated 90D without a steady hand on a small pupil patient.... darn near impossible.