Step-1 8/16 Goljan audio notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chutku

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I wanted to get some opinions about my method of studying-
going over Goljan audio notes that someone has transcribed
+ reading FA
+ BRS physio
+ finally doing USMLE world questions

I tried to read RR Path but found it too cumbersome - should have done it while in second year classes.

Is this a good strategy
Thanks
AC :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to read RR Path but found it too cumbersome - should have done it while in second year classes.

RR path = cumbersome?? Are you kidding? It's bare bones. I found it very user-friendly and totally worth reading. With a little discipline, you could get through it + relevant UW questions + relevant FA in 2-3 weeks.

RR path = cumbersome?? Are you kidding? It's bare bones. I found it very user-friendly and totally worth reading. With a little discipline, you could get through it + relevant UW questions + relevant FA in 2-3 weeks.

Agreed--RR path isn't that bad a read, but I think the key most people miss is that they have to read it during 2nd year to have a high familiarity with it for boards. I read each chapter 3-5x for classes, 2x completely for boards, and then just the blue margins/boxes about 2 days out from step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
RR has a nice outline, but for the love of God, couldn't Goljan have BOLDED key points [more].

Fishing for the extremely high-yield points to highlight them IS cumbersome/annoying.

RR has a nice outline, but for the love of God, couldn't Goljan have BOLDED key points [more].

According to him, he would have BOLDED the whole text since he says everything in there is high-yield.

According to him, he would have BOLDED the whole text since he says everything in there is high-yield.

Dr. Goljan is the God of Pathology, reincarnate... although I think it's hilarious how he's a little too open sometimes.

For example, what do we know about his family? His wife had anorexia and a psychiatric disorder, daughter has multiple breast tumors, said something about his grandchildren... he himself had ALS that "magically" cured itself, etc, etc, etc. Man is hilarious!

From what I have witnessed from the man himself, is to read the margin notes for a quick high yield info. The same for the RR biochem

I wish there was an easier way around it, but most of what he writes is high yield. I was able to find almost everything that I remembered from my step 1 path questions in his RR book.

Thanks for responding. For me reading RR path once or twice is not enough - tried it for RBC chapter - forgot the minute details after a while. Thats when I got a hold of Dr. Goljans audio notes. I completely agree that the man is phenomenal for pathology. I wanted to find out if anyone had tried working with his review notes and how they fared out.
Thanks

Chutku,

can u pls send me his audio notes.. my mail id s [email protected] it would be really helpful to me..

thanks!!!

Doko, one more thing his mother-in-law had multiple myeloma..

you might want to also check out goljan's high-yield notes, or the golden packet of high-yield associations... they are helpful as a checklist to go through your mind.

i think you should try out a few different ways of listening to Goljan and see what works for you. i started to use the transcribed notes and thought it was a good idea at first, but found that i focused better on what he was saying when i simply took notes myself. i would write out the most important "pearls" in huge writing w/colored pen and the rest of the material in smaller handwriting. Later on i could just skim/glance at the notes and the most important "pearls" would jump right out at me.

For those of you who have the RR book AND the transcribed notes (which I don't have), would you say listening to the audio with the RR book is better, or using the transcribed notes is better?